A7V8X-X - Flash failed, killed my BIOS... :(

Old June 3rd 04, 04:02 PM
JH

Default A7V8X-X - Flash failed, killed my BIOS... :(

Tried updating my A7V8X-X BIOS to 1010 the other day. Flash failed
when it was trying to verify the new BIOS, and now all I get is a
rapid "clicking" noise through the speaker when I turn the system on.
No POST.

Wondering if anyone has an idea of how I might be able to recover this
thing. I'm assuming that since I'm getting the noise through the
speaker, that the BIOS isn't totally hosed. I just want to find out
what I can try to get the thing going again, or if I should just screw
it and get a new BIOS from badflash.com.

I tried contacting ASUS, but apparently they take forever to answer
inquiries.

Thanks.
Old June 3rd 04, 04:37 PM
Perplexed

om...

Go to www.badflash.com They should be able to help.

Old June 3rd 04, 09:17 PM
Blaedmon

badflash.com rules. but if you want to try hotflashing yourself, I suggust
you google that term. Ive done it, its very easy and quick - providing you
have another similar-chipset mobo handy. If not, you can also make yourself
a bootdisk with its own autoexec.bat which auto-runs the default or upgraded
bios file on the same disk, then remove the offending machines videocard and
boot. Sensing no card, the machine should check the floppy and de-lobotomise
itself with some luck

om...

Old June 3rd 04, 10:02 PM
Sune Storgaard

Blaedmon mumbled his insignificant opinion in:

.. If not, you
can also make yourself a bootdisk with its own autoexec.bat which
auto-runs the default or upgraded bios file on the same disk, then
remove the offending machines videocard and boot. Sensing no card,
the machine should check the floppy and de-lobotomise itself with
some luck

Im not familiar with that practise, can you elaborate that a bit?

Just checked with the (tiny) manual for my x-x board, and that method isnt
described in there. Is it just the x-x series that tries to boot with no vga
card, despite the faulty bios ?

Seems a little strange to me the board will suddenly boot this way?

Old June 4th 04, 04:00 PM
JH

I've done hotflashes on bioses before, but the only other board I have
available is an Abit with a KT-333 chipset and not a KT-400. Think the
KT-333 BIOS would work to get the board to POST and let me hotflash
the BIOS?

"Blaedmon" wrote in message ...
badflash.com rules. but if you want to try hotflashing yourself, I suggust
you google that term. Ive done it, its very easy and quick - providing you
have another similar-chipset mobo handy. If not, you can also make yourself
a bootdisk with its own autoexec.bat which auto-runs the default or upgraded
bios file on the same disk, then remove the offending machines videocard and
boot. Sensing no card, the machine should check the floppy and de-lobotomise
itself with some luck

om...

Old June 4th 04, 05:02 PM
Paul

In article , "Sune
Storgaard" wrote:

Blaedmon mumbled his insignificant opinion in:

. If not, you
can also make yourself a bootdisk with its own autoexec.bat which
auto-runs the default or upgraded bios file on the same disk, then
remove the offending machines videocard and boot. Sensing no card,
the machine should check the floppy and de-lobotomise itself with
some luck

Im not familiar with that practise, can you elaborate that a bit?

Just checked with the (tiny) manual for my x-x board, and that method isnt
described in there. Is it just the x-x series that tries to boot with no vga
card, despite the faulty bios ?

Seems a little strange to me the board will suddenly boot this way?

The BIOS has two sections. One part is the "boot block", which has
just enough code to boot from a floppy. If the boot block is still
intact, then the autoexec trick will work. There would be some hope
if, without the video card, the motherboard tried to access the floppy.
Based on the OPs description of a repetitive sound coming out of the
speakers, I'd say it is badflash or hotflash time.

Paul
Old June 4th 04, 09:07 PM
_P_e_ar_lALegend

Il Fri, 04 Jun 2004 08:00:09 -0700, JH ha scritto:

I've done hotflashes on bioses before, but the only other board I have
available is an Abit with a KT-333 chipset and not a KT-400. Think the
KT-333 BIOS would work to get the board to POST and let me hotflash
the BIOS?

U need to hotflash your asus board bios ON THE ABIT one. Not the opposite.
Old June 7th 04, 05:55 PM
JH

Oops, you're right, dummy me. Thanks.