Serial Mouse with KVM Switch

Old July 3rd 03, 11:15 AM
Thomas M

Default Serial Mouse with KVM Switch

I want to buy a KVM switch to control two computers--a new Dell server
that came without a keyboard or mouse, and an older machine (case circa
1992, but internal components are all relatively new) with a DIN5
keyboard port and a DB25 serial mouse port. The mouse already uses a DB9
to DB25 adaptor.

Using my existing keyboard and mouse the connections would go like this:

Keyboard
--------
In to KVM: DIN5 to PS/2 to KVM
Out to PC: PS/2 to DIN5 to PC

Mouse
-----
In to KVM: DB9 to PS/2 to KVM
Out to PC: PS/2 to DB9 to DB25 to PC

I actually CAN get all of the required adaptors. I can reduce the
number of adaptors needed by purchasing a PS/2 keyboard and mouse, but
that would only address the connections going into the KVM switch. The
outgoing connections from the KVM switch to the older computer would
still have to be as shown above. The question is, will going through all
these adaptors work?

--Tom
Old July 3rd 03, 09:20 PM
philo

"Thomas M" wrote in message
[...]

here's the deal ( i have a similar situation)
a ps/2 mouse will not work as a serial mouse, even with an adaptor
unless you happen to have one of those rare items that was specifically
designed to work either way

that said, it may work with one of those inexpensive KVM switches that use
and actual mechanical switch
however, that type of switch tends to give a poor video image
(slight ghosting) so i suggest you don't make the mistake i did in buying
one

the active KVM switches (those that switch electronically) will not work
at all as they emulate a ps/2 mouse...

i suggest you do what i do and just use two mice

Old July 16th 03, 07:43 PM
gshegele

Check out the Rose Vista KVM switch. It will allow Serial or PS2 on
both the CPU and KVM sides of the switch.

http://www.rose.com/htm/vista.htm

Mouse doesn't move byteryder General 3 July 5th 03 11:54 PM
PS2 mouse not recognized JMMach General 3 June 28th 03 03:35 AM
IBM switch 8275-324 Award General 0 June 27th 03 05:36 PM
How do I get rid of the arrow? wangchung General 6 June 27th 03 12:38 AM
serial port config for GV3000/SE? najob General 0 June 25th 03 05:44 PM