Silent Computer - Advice

Old September 25th 03, 12:29 PM
Putterer's Nemesis

"The little lost angel" wrote in
message ...
On 24 Sep 2003 08:20:01 -0700, (David Taylor)
wrote:
Erm, why not get a good quality long video cable, keyboard cable,
mouse cable. And stick the box in another room? Or wear earmuffs?

Earmuffs ? why is it cold ?

Ear Defenders or Ear Plugs don't you mean.

Old September 25th 03, 01:31 PM
The little lost angel

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:25:05 +0100, Johannes H Andersen
wrote:

Hmm. I've used cable extensions in the past, but it didn't work very well
so I gave it up. In particular it caused problems for the mouse and the
monitor.

I think the quality of the cable matters quite a bit? In one of my
previous work places, the distance was at least 3~4metres apart in
terms of point to point distance. So the KVM cables had to be quite a
bit longer and I never had any issues with the mouse/keyboard/video
when I was working there.

If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me
Old September 25th 03, 03:46 PM
Tim Auton

Baffie wrote:
[snip]
Can't say I noticed a problem. With temp controlled fans, they'll only
blow out harder when they are needed, and consequently, they'll only
draw in air from the front when they need to.

For quiet computing I prefer constant speed fans (though with an
efficient speed regulator to set the speed initially). You naturally
filter out constant noise sources if they're quiet enough, variable
noise sources are much more irritating. But then, my CPU load is 100%
24/7 so I need full cooling all the time.

Tim
--
And the beast shall be made legion. Its numbers shall be increased a
thousand thousand fold. The din of a million keyboards like unto a great
Old September 25th 03, 04:27 PM
kony

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:40:19 +0000 (UTC), Baffie
wrote:

That is a potential problem. When the system is essentially idle,
creating less heat, the fans slow down, draw in less air, but the HDD
are still spinning, need as much cooling but don't get it. One way to
combat that would be temp-controlled fans with their sensor(s)
attached to the hard drive, which is also possible if there's a front
intake fan.

It ain't a problem for me as I've got my power settings shutting down
the HD after 10 minutes of inactivity, saves power, saves wear and
tear and prevents heat/noise.

Then you may have an atypical usage pattern. For many people allowing
the HDD to spin-down after 10 minutes, then spin-up again, more often,
will put a lot more wear on it than letting it continue to spin.

Dave

Old September 25th 03, 05:49 PM
Rob Morley

Baffie wrote:
snip
It ain't a problem for me as I've got my power settings shutting down
the HD after 10 minutes of inactivity, saves power, saves wear and
tear and prevents heat/noise.

As long as your HD is adequately cooled it's kinder to leave it spinning
than to frequently spin it up and down.
Old September 25th 03, 06:29 PM
Johannes H Andersen

Rob Stow wrote:

Johannes H Andersen wrote:

Rob Stow wrote:

[...]

Hmm. I've used cable extensions in the past, but it didn't work very well
so I gave it up. In particular it caused problems for the mouse and the
monitor.

If you have (or are willing to buy) a KVM switch, those often
work even where cable extensions don't.

I think you're right, the extra plugs for the extensions could have
introduced noise; the mouse worked OK, but not as easy to control than
without the extension cable. My current internet computer is a silent
P1 233MMX, so I'm fine for the moment, but rumours are that the P4
successor will draw 103 Watts.