PC Doesn't Like To Boot

Old October 9th 03, 02:05 PM
Buck Turgidson

Default PC Doesn't Like To Boot

I have a PC with an ECS K7S5A mobo, and an Enermax 430w PSU. When I first
power-up the unit, it hangs after the BIOS check, right before it loads the
OS.

It seems that when it heats up, it will reboot more consistently.

I have reseated the memory and video card.

Should I have the PSU checked? I am running out of ideas for things to try.

Old October 9th 03, 02:18 PM
philo

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
s.com...
I have a PC with an ECS K7S5A mobo, and an Enermax 430w PSU. When I first
power-up the unit, it hangs after the BIOS check, right before it loads

the
OS.

It seems that when it heats up, it will reboot more consistently.

I have reseated the memory and video card.

Should I have the PSU checked? I am running out of ideas for things to

try.

disconnect the harddrive and CD...
set the bios to boot first from floppy and see if it will boot ok...

if so, you now have the problem at least narrowed down to the HD or CD

sometimes a different combination of drives on the ide cables will make a
difference (though of course, it;s no supposed to)

Old October 9th 03, 02:28 PM
Buck Turgidson

disconnect the harddrive and CD...
set the bios to boot first from floppy and see if it will boot ok...

if so, you now have the problem at least narrowed down to the HD or CD

sometimes a different combination of drives on the ide cables will make a
difference (though of course, it;s no supposed to)

I have the BIOS set to boot from the floppy, so when I don't have a disk in
there, it doesn't seem like it even reads it after the BIOS check. The
screen just goes blank.

Is there a clue here somewhere? I

Old October 9th 03, 06:24 PM
Vanguard

Have you tried jumpering the onboard 2-pin header to clear the CMOS?

Have you removed all daughtercards except the video card? BIOS on
another daughtercard might clear the screen (which is why it goes blank)
but not be loading correctly. For example, I have an Adaptec SCSI host
controller card which clears the screen and then paints its BIOS version
and devices found. I used to have a Promise Ultra100 card which did not
clear the screen (which results in painting over other prior output) and
in a later BIOS update it would clear the screen. Could be some
daughtercard is hanging after the POST.

Have you tried removing all but one memory stick? And with only one
memory stick, have you tried switching to a different one (if you have
more than one stick)?

Do you even see the BIOS screen at bootup (i.e., does the video card's
BIOS load so it can then show the startup screen, like the BIOS version,
results of drive search in BIOS, etc.)?

Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail not accepted.

Old October 10th 03, 12:03 AM
DaveW

Sounds like either the power supply, or more likely, the motherboard has a
fault in it.

--
DaveW

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
s.com...
I have a PC with an ECS K7S5A mobo, and an Enermax 430w PSU. When I first
power-up the unit, it hangs after the BIOS check, right before it loads

the
OS.

It seems that when it heats up, it will reboot more consistently.

I have reseated the memory and video card.

Should I have the PSU checked? I am running out of ideas for things to

try.

Boot Disk Failure news.verizon.net General 2 September 2nd 03 09:27 PM
random boot failure no spam General 1 August 30th 03 05:23 AM
Boot Problems Cuzman General 1 August 19th 03 10:12 PM
CD Boot Requirements Long Gone General 4 August 10th 03 05:54 PM
Hard drive that boots elsewhere refuses to boot in this machine Simon O'Connor General 9 July 22nd 03 06:34 AM