Problems recovering after dumb SP3 upgrade.

Old May 26th 08, 11:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Problems recovering after dumb SP3 upgrade.

I had my system just the way I wanted it and everything I wanted to do
worked.

Then I upgraded to SP3.

SP3 wouldn't boot and nor would safe mode so I had to "repair" my
installation by reinstalling my original SP1 installation disk and
installing SP2 over the top of it.

Sadly my system is nowhere near the state it was in before. Since SP3
caused this problem and SP3 intransigence in not allowing me to remove
it in the usual way has caused a lot of problems that would take me 20
mins to list here ... however

A brief list
RPC server not working. Now partially fixed
DCHP has to be started manually each time I start the machine.
NVIDIA driver installation program doesn't recognise NVIDIA card and
won't install. I have downloaded 4 different drivers and have the CD
driver which will run but still won't fire up the card upon a reboot.
Drivers a
71.89_win2kxp.english
91.31_winxp2kmce_english_whql
169.21_forceware_winxp (US version)
169.21_forceware_winxp (International version)
Some programs won't run from links.
AVG email detection disabled.

Any suggestions?
--
Bill Jillians, a dude
BJ must be the king idiot here, because I've laughed out loud at his posts.
Old May 26th 08, 07:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

"psychotic chicken" "\"Bill wrote in
message ...
I had my system just the way I wanted it and everything I wanted to do
worked.

Then I upgraded to SP3.

SP3 wouldn't boot and nor would safe mode so I had to "repair" my
installation by reinstalling my original SP1 installation disk and
installing SP2 over the top of it.

Sadly my system is nowhere near the state it was in before. Since SP3
caused this problem and SP3 intransigence in not allowing me to remove it
in the usual way has caused a lot of problems that would take me 20 mins
to list here ... however

There was something you could have done BEFORE you "fixed" your SP3 issues
the way you did. There isn't now. And based on your post I take it it's safe
to assume you don't use any imaging software like Acronis or Ghost?
My suggestion is that at this point, you need to backup whatever data files
you need. Do a complete reformat and proper reinstall then apply SP3 after
your original SP1 install is done.SP3 wraps all of SP2 within it. It is not
necessary to first apply SP2 before SP3. Download the full distributable
exexcutable of SP3 from MS prior to this. Easier to have on hand.

Old May 27th 08, 05:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

In message xvD_j.5187$KB3.1573@edtnps91, Augustus
writes

[...]

Well based on my experiences of SP3 I would rather not try it again. I
have a fully updated SP2 now which I believe includes most of the
updates in SP3.

No I don't use Ghost although I have been thinking of using it. I guess
it would have been very useful at that point. Unfortunately with SP3
since I could neither start the machine or log into safe mode you and
everyone else would have been none the wiser about my problems had I not
got the machine working again and that was the only reliable way I knew
how.

Now about my Nvidia driver problems that I have now? (I have a 64Mb
Geforce FX5200 incidentally ... a fact I missed out in my original
posting. That not working or installable is the only major problem I
have after my brief encounter with SP3).
Old May 27th 08, 05:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

with SP3 since I could neither start the machine or log into safe mode you
and everyone else would have been none the wiser about my problems had I
not got the machine working again and that was the only reliable way I knew
how.

Now about my Nvidia driver problems that I have now? (I have a 64Mb
Geforce FX5200 incidentally ... a fact I missed out in my original
posting. That not working or installable is the only major problem I have
after my brief encounter with SP3).

Your system was recoverable at that point. Had you posted from another
system here or in another more appropriate group the issue could have been
resolved without a complete reinstall. At this point, that's neither here
not there. I'm unsure as to what your specific nVidia driver problem is as
you still don't explain what the that problem is. Or system specs other than
the fact it's running XP SP2 and an FX5200.

Old May 27th 08, 07:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

In message twM_j.5269$KB3.3036@edtnps91, Augustus
writes
[...]

OK,

Pentium 4 2.8MHz machine
Gainward Geforce FX5200
1.25 Gb RAM.
All nvidia driver installations tried say that that package does not
contain drivers for my hardware. Or in other words the software does
not recognise my FX5200.
My system is actually pretty flaky and when it is started it comes up
with a blue screen paging stop error as often as not. If it does start
however it will continue to load and remains stable for a long time. I
don't know what causes this. My suspicion is either the processor or
the motherboard since the memory is new and the computer was doing that
before I installed it. Also the Geforce isn't causing it since it still
happens on the built in graphics and on other graphics cards.

My previous installation with SP2 worked pretty well. The Geforce
installed first time and the driver was very stable. With the way
things are now a lot of services have to be started manually. DCHP, AVG
email scanner and DCOM all have to be started manually before the system
works as normal. I'm wondering if the failure of the Geforce to be
recognised is down to some other service not working at boot up like it
used to.

Old May 27th 08, 11:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Tom

[...]

Check to see if you have a problem with the VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0
Controller. It is in Device Manager under the System Device group.
Unistall it and then do a search for new devices and let it re-install it.
That fixed the problem with me. Of course I did not find the device driver
problem until I had uninstalled SP#.

Old May 27th 08, 11:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

Check to see if you have a problem with the VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0
Controller. It is in Device Manager under the System Device group.
Unistall it and then do a search for new devices and let it re-install it.
That fixed the problem with me. Of course I did not find the device
driver problem until I had uninstalled SP#.

I'm sure that may or may not help assuming he has a mainboard with a VIA
chipset. Which he doesn't mention because the mainboard model and brand
isn't mentioned. From the last post where he describes BSOD paging errors on
startup demonstrates his issues have nothing to do with a failed SP3 attempt
and everything to do with faulty hardware. I have never seen an nVidia
driver install for Windows of any flavor generate the message that does not
contain drivers for installed hardware unless the wrong drivers have been
downloaded or the videocard installed is not the one the person thinks it
is.

Old May 28th 08, 06:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

In message , Tom
writes
[...]

Thanks a lot for that. It is actually a SIS CPU but I uninstalled and
restarted the computer allowing it to reinstall. Afterwards the
installation program didn't object and the driver was installed. I have
just restarted the computer. It started first time after I removed some
start-up programs that a program said were dangerous. Then I started
Grand Theft Auto and it worked.

Many thanks for your suggestion. You definitely hit the nail on the
head with this one.

Cheers
Bill Jillians
--
Bill Jillians, a dude
BJ must be the king idiot here, because I've laughed out loud at his posts.
- River (25/11/2007)

Upgrade problems dvus Nvidia Videocards 13 October 12th 04 11:56 AM
Dumb Upgrade ?? Bob Snelgrove Overclocking 5 June 7th 04 01:10 AM
Want to upgrade to USB 2.0. Problems?? SBN Dell Computers 5 November 6th 03 02:22 AM
Upgrade Problems Ed_ Homebuilt PC's 1 August 7th 03 05:01 PM
problems with AMD K6 upgrade Marcin Konopka Overclocking AMD Processors 4 August 4th 03 01:25 AM