System Failed CPU Test

Old March 14th 05, 08:13 AM
mthien

Default System Failed CPU Test

Hi.
I have a P4C800 Deluxe motherboard. Initially I had a P4 3.2C
northwood CPU installed but due to certain circumstances I had
upgraded to the P4 3.2E prescott CPU. The specs I am using is
* 2X 512 Corsair 3200 LL
* Radeon 9700pro
* 1X WD 200mb hdd (IDE)
* 1X WD 200mb hdd (SATA)

I guess that's all that relevant to explain. Anyhow, now to the
problem.

Initially when I installed the Prescott CPU, the system worked
relatively fine. I noticed a lot instantaneous system shutdowns when
the CORE got to 60+ degrees celcius. Also, mozilla firefox was
crashing everytime. You'd be able to sometimes browse but generally
90% of the time the browser was in a "not responding" status. Please
note that the Bios was flashed to the latest one at around december
2004 - so it is relatively current.

Therefore it prompted me to check the Processor drivers. Everything
looked fine so I decided to format and install a fresh copy of XP.
The mozilla problem still existed. Anyhow, I also noticed that the
system would shutdown during an installation of SP2. After numerous
times of re-formatting and re-installing, I could not get past the SP2
installation. (it was a hot day, and since installing SP2 is quite
CPU intensive, the core got too hot and shutdown the system).

Eventually the bios started hanging, and the System went down for
good. I switch the board on, the fans power up, but I get no video
output and hear the voice saying "System Failed CPU Test". The CPU is
working fine however. I have vigorously scoured the internet for
solutions over the past three days and have tried everything from
using an old VGA card - unplugging the keyboard USB and PS2 using
powerups and powerdowns. I've tried resetting the cmos and have even
taken out the battery. I've even taken out the motherboard from the
case, installed only the memory, CPU, video and PSU and even rebuilt
the system again. Nothing. I've tried everything possible and it has
brought me to this user group.

If anyone has any other solutions, please help.

Thanks.
Old March 14th 05, 12:14 PM
RBM

Your bios must be 1017 or higher, and that board has issues with certain
models of the 9700 Pro. The only other thing I can think of would be the
heat. I'd use a good aftermarket cooler
om...

Old March 14th 05, 04:02 PM

On 14 Mar 2005 00:13:58 -0800, (mthien) wrote:

snip

Eventually the bios started hanging, and the System went down for
good. I switch the board on, the fans power up, but I get no video
output and hear the voice saying "System Failed CPU Test". The CPU is
working fine however. I have vigorously scoured the internet for
solutions over the past three days and have tried everything from
using an old VGA card - unplugging the keyboard USB and PS2 using
powerups and powerdowns. I've tried resetting the cmos and have even
taken out the battery. I've even taken out the motherboard from the
case, installed only the memory, CPU, video and PSU and even rebuilt
the system again. Nothing. I've tried everything possible and it has
brought me to this user group.

I've had the same problem, and probably still have it. After several
months of trouble-free use, I awakened one morning (after powering
down the night before) to find an unbootable system and that non-stop
voice message telling me the system had failed CPU test.

Like you, I also googled "System failed CPU test" and was taken to
the same hardwareanalysys.com discussion group. (I see you are the
latest poster to this particular topic which now has expanded to 8
pages in length.)

As you can see, no one seems to have a clue as to what the true
problem is, nor a single solution as to how it might be solved.

In my case, I thought I had narrowed it down to a bad stick of memory.
When I removed one (of two sticks) I was able to boot right up. But
when I replaced that one working stick with the stick I thought had
fried, I booted up again. So it wasn't the memory. But I still booted
up. (?????)

One of the comments posted in the hardwareanalysis thread mentioned
something about letting the computer "warm up" for a period of time
and then trying to boot. Seems to me is was something like 10 to 20
minutes. As a "last resort" I tried it, and it worked.

Plug the computer in, press the boot-up button and turn the volume
down so you can no longer hear the constant voice message. Leave it
that way for a few moments, shut it down and immediately try to
re-boot. Strangely enough, that's what worked for me. And frankly, I
haven't turned this computer off since.

I don't know the answer to this problem. My "gut" feeling is it is
somehow related to the ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 XT card I have installed
that may somehow conflict with my P4C800-E Deluxe mother board. But I
have absolutely no idea other than this gut feeling... And neither
does anyone else.

Old March 14th 05, 10:47 PM
Peacekeeper

Confirm what bios you are running

Also when you took the Mb out of the case did you remove the cpu and reseat
it appliying new thermal paste? That CPU should not be overheating.

If so will pass this onto a asus tech I still have some contact with...

Old March 14th 05, 10:57 PM
Peacekeeper

Sorry found this asus reply on the abxzone forums might shed some light

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67218

ok for another board but principle same

Old March 15th 05, 03:01 PM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:57:19 GMT, "Peacekeeper"
wrote:

Sorry found this asus reply on the abxzone forums might shed some light

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67218

ok for another board but principle same

Which "principle" do you mean?

I did a brief 10-minute scan of the 2+ pages of the abxzone post and
saw responses similar to those which can be seen on other discussion
groups querying the same problem. Update the BIOS, bad PSU, faulty
memory, re-set CMOS, etc, etc. -- the list goes on and on without ever
providing one discernable (one-size-fits-all) solution. No one seems
to know why these ASUS boards wake up one day and spit out "System
Failed CPU Test."

My system is, and has been running quite stable -- as long as I don't
shut down for some lengthy period of time. I can power off for a few
moments if I need to crack the case. I can re-start at will. But, if I
shut down over night, as I sometimes prefer to do, I'm confident I'll
be met with "System Failed CPU Test" on the cold re-boot.

FWIW, I did notice KANZ157, who started the abxzone thread, has the
same ATI 9600XT as I have in my system. My "gut" feeling has been that
this card may somehow conflict with ASUS boards in ways no one has yet
figured out.

Thanks for taking your time to respond.

Old March 15th 05, 03:23 PM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:47:36 GMT, "Peacekeeper"
wrote:

Confirm what bios you are running

This board shipped with 1015 which I flashed and upgraded to 1016 at
the time of install. Rev 1019 became available shortly thereafter and
is now up to rev 1021 I believe. I've not upgraded because I fear
upgrading more than I fear the "failed CPU test." Perhaps I'll
upgrade, but others who had the" failed CPU Test" problem found no
resolution at all with a BIOS upgrade.

Also when you took the Mb out of the case did you remove the cpu and reseat
it appliying new thermal paste? That CPU should not be overheating.

My system had been perfectly functional for several months before I
experienced the "System Failed CPU Test" problem which seemed to arise
one day completely "out of the blue" and for no discernable reason.
While I did re-set everything on the board as I attempted to
trouble-shoot the problem, I never actually removed the board from the
case. Nor did I remove the CPU.

This P-4 2.8C (Northwood) doesn't seem to have any temp-related
problems. It idles at about 32C and reaches 52C when I process
(encode) MPEG video. Coincidently, there is another active thread on
this forum (Northwood vs Prescott - 3/12/05) where I've asked about
these temps and feel reasonably certain these temp ranges are OK. My
greatest heat related concern is for the 3 hard drives which can be
running (off and on) for as much as 2 hours while processing a single
MPEG video for DVD burning.

If so will pass this onto a asus tech I still have some contact with...

I thank you for taking the time and interest. There are more than a
few of us who would like some kind of definitive answer to this
problem. No one seems to have one.

Old March 15th 05, 08:17 PM
Paul

wrote:

[...]

The speech chip is over here - likely the 83791SD:
http://winbond-usa.com/products/winb...html?name=PCIC

Since the speech chip sits on the SMBUS, all it would take is
some piece of OS or application code that is accidently writing
to the Voice chip, to kick it off. AFAIK the "System Failed CPU Test"
message is based on the timer in the voice chip, so it would
have something to do with the timer.

The best workaround, is to smash that little chip with a hammer,
and put it out of its misery. If it simply refuses to shut up, no
matter what you do, the eight pin DIP sitting in a socket can
be removed (W55Fxx), and that will remove the code that runs the
Voice Chip. Or, you could even use the Winbond Voice Editor software,
to record over the voice sample that delivers the Failed message.

Paul
Old March 16th 05, 02:45 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:17:12 -0500, (Paul) wrote:

The speech chip is over here - likely the 83791SD:
http://winbond-usa.com/products/winb...html?name=PCIC

Since the speech chip sits on the SMBUS, all it would take is
some piece of OS or application code that is accidently writing
to the Voice chip, to kick it off. AFAIK the "System Failed CPU Test"
message is based on the timer in the voice chip, so it would
have something to do with the timer.

The best workaround, is to smash that little chip with a hammer,
and put it out of its misery. If it simply refuses to shut up, no
matter what you do, the eight pin DIP sitting in a socket can
be removed (W55Fxx), and that will remove the code that runs the
Voice Chip. Or, you could even use the Winbond Voice Editor software,
to record over the voice sample that delivers the Failed message.

Paul

Thanks again, Paul, for the quality of help you provide on this forum.
I find myself reading all that you post, whether the problem to which
your're responding relates to me or not, because the information you
provide is so detailed and instructional.

As regards the voice message, I've resolved in two ways: First, I no
longer power down overnight. And, if and when that non-stop message
ever occurs again, I'll simply turn down the volume on my speakers.

Honestly, I think one day I will need to resolve this issue rather
than taking the "in denial" approach I've adopted by no longer
powering down the system. But I'm hoping that given more time,
someone, somewhere will find the true cause and, having found it, will
provide a definitive solution. As it stands now, no one has more than
an opinion as to why a system which has been quite stable will
suddenly fail to POST after months of stable use. I've "suggested" my
gut feeling may have something to do with some interaction between
ASUS motherboards and ATI graphics cards -- because so many others who
experience the problem seem to have ATI cards, and my problem seemed
to occur about the time I replaced my ATI 8500DV with a new ATI AIW
9600XT. But I don't really know. The fact remains, no one knows.

Thanks again, Paul

Old March 18th 05, 01:36 AM
tk

wrote:

[...]

Running P4P800 Deluxe here with 9600XT AIW P4E
rock solid.