52x drives dependibility

Old January 24th 04, 07:59 AM
Phil

Default 52x drives dependibility

3 machines win98 and 98se
new artec 52x cdr.

I have been using a USB external sony 6-4-6 for backups with bu software
that uses its own writing scheme.

I have had nothing but undependable writes and coasters with the new 52x
internals. Although I don't use nero enough to say, but I seem to have
problems with it also. And when I use Nero to check both the new writes
and the old writes with the Sony, I see better quality in the sony
disks.

The new ones seem to rev and receed, the speed changes in its read
transactions. I know it is just more noticeable with the higher rev
units, but even some of the newer writes show erratic read speeds or
unreadable sectors.

Are all 52x drives less dependable? The artec tech has made suggestions
as to recommended media and trying different o/s settings but it just
seems like 52x is too fast for dependable writes at this point in time
in history of cdr.

I really need to have some way to at least equal the standard I was use
to with the 6-4-6.

The backup software people say Artec is not on their list of recommended
mfrs for whatever reason. And their software has no control on writing
speed.

Any ideas or even a suggestion on changing the artic firmware to lower
the write speeds. I really don't need the speed, I just got them
because I figured they (52x writers) were the new and improved standard.

--

---Phil

Old January 24th 04, 08:29 AM
Robert Hancock

What kind of discs are you using? Not all can handle 52X writing properly,
especially older/junkier media. Also, some drives are picky about the kinds
of discs they will work well with in particular.

I'd try and find some better software (like Nero, but you'll probably need a
full version and not OEM) that lets you set the write speed properly..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

om...

Old January 24th 04, 08:30 AM
Theo

"Phil" wrote in news:kBpQb.11057$1v5.2558
@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com:

The backup software people say Artec is not on their list of recommended
mfrs for whatever reason. And their software has no control on writing
speed.

Any ideas or even a suggestion on changing the artic firmware to lower
the write speeds. I really don't need the speed, I just got them
because I figured they (52x writers) were the new and improved standard.

Your burning software (Nero, since you have that) controls the write
speed.

You should first try a simulated burn and have it test your maximum
writing speed. Choose a disk image if you have one handy, or add a bunch
of files to a new project, and when you select "write CD" uncheck "write"
and check "determine maximum speed". Note: in the Nero preferences one of
the tabs will let you check the read speed of your hard drive.

Its quite possible that your machine(s) cannot keep up with the transfer
rate to sustain 52x. If after this Nero tells you that 6x or thereabouts
is your max, and you have relatively new equipment, then you need to check
DMA settings and such for your HDs and your CDRW.
Old January 24th 04, 03:33 PM
Phil

I was using verbatim, Artec said they recommend 3 others, but not
verbatim, one was maxell and I tried that. No help.

Nero shows write speed of 48x-disks 52x-capable.
I get questionable disks with nero also.

I need my other backup software which is not speed-setable. The reason
being because it maintains continuous backups, updates, and restores.

Robert Hancock posted in

Old January 24th 04, 03:33 PM
Phil

nero says max speed is no problem. Artec said to try unchecking dma for
win98, but I don't believe that worked. I tried a lot of things and I
think I tried that already, I'll try again but I don't have hope in
that.

I just don't have faith in 52x drives being strong and reliable enough.

I guess no one knows how to lower max speed rating of drive?

Theo posted in

Old January 24th 04, 07:07 PM
Theo

"Phil" wrote in news:VewQb.8814$MZ5.7794
@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com:

I guess no one knows how to lower max speed rating of drive?

turning off DMA is not a good thing.

Two things. First, again, if you want to burn at a lower speed simply
change the burn speed in Nero when you do so. Its a simple pull down menu.
Second, if you want to lower the read speed of the drive, Nero comes with a
little utility called "drivespeed" (or is it "CDspeed"), that will allow
you to set the maximum.
Old January 25th 04, 03:16 AM
Robert Hancock

Unchecking DMA is not a good idea, that won't let you burn properly at over
16X or so.

Maxell discs are mostly made by Ritek these days and should be writable at
52X with no problems. If they don't work well, it's probably a drive
problem. It could be bad, or just badly optimized for certain types of
media. You might want to see if there are any firmware updates available for
the drive.

Certainly there are 52X drives that work well; my Lite-On 52327 drive has
worked pretty much flawlessly for me..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from
Home Page:
http://www.roberthancock.com/

m...

Old January 29th 04, 04:22 PM
Cap Tylor

Well,
the test I have run on a maddog Artec 52X drive. Running win98 and Nero
5.5.10.42
was that for reading it would spin up too high and fail. So, I ended up
limiting the Spin up speed to 32x which makes it work better then letting it
spin up all the way for reading audio disc.
Using the Nero Drive speed tool to limit the drive spin up.

"Robert Hancock" wrote in message
Unchecking DMA is not a good idea, that won't let you burn properly at

over
16X or so.

Maxell discs are mostly made by Ritek these days and should be writable at
52X with no problems. If they don't work well, it's probably a drive
problem. It could be bad, or just badly optimized for certain types of
media. You might want to see if there are any firmware updates available

for
the drive.

Certainly there are 52X drives that work well; my Lite-On 52327 drive has
worked pretty much flawlessly for me..

Resolved: An issue with installing XP on new Serial ATA drives, drives not being recognized by XP Todd Wiese Homebuilt PC's 0 October 26th 04 06:50 PM
Seagate Redesigns Drives (with 73GB to 300GB capacities) Ablang General 0 May 23rd 04 04:01 AM
Boot problem *Vanguard* General 8 February 29th 04 06:53 AM
Mediaform 5916 and CRD-BP4 Drives Crazy Anj Cdr 2 December 21st 03 01:15 AM
Vendor Warning! Monarch Computer - Samsung SP1614N 160gb hard disk drives Steve Hawkins Jr General 2 October 25th 03 03:43 AM