very OT... a computer based security system question...

Old May 18th 04, 04:24 PM
Matt

Default very OT... a computer based security system question...

I'm not sure if this is even possible but I'm going to ask anyway. My
boss wants a setup that allows a 24/7 real time camera view of the cash
register and various points throughout the store through his computer,
which I think is possible... but he also wants a camera view of the cash
register from our other location 45 miles away. Is this possible? I'm
thinking that if we get DSL with a static IP at the other location then
I should be able to set up something with a relatively cheap computer
and camera. I'm just not sure where to start looking... and google
gives me an endless sea of possibilities.

Old May 18th 04, 04:48 PM
Matt

"Matt" wrote in message
I'm not sure if this is even possible but I'm going to ask anyway. My
boss wants a setup that allows a 24/7 real time camera view of the

cash
register and various points throughout the store through his computer,
which I think is possible... but he also wants a camera view of the

cash
register from our other location 45 miles away. Is this possible?

I'm
thinking that if we get DSL with a static IP at the other location

then
I should be able to set up something with a relatively cheap computer
and camera. I'm just not sure where to start looking... and google
gives me an endless sea of possibilities.

oops!! I didn't intend to post this here... but hey, since I did does
anyone have any suggestions?

Old May 18th 04, 04:58 PM
Bob Day

"Matt" wrote in message
I'm not sure if this is even possible but I'm going to ask anyway. My
boss wants a setup that allows a 24/7 real time camera view of the cash
register and various points throughout the store through his computer,
which I think is possible... but he also wants a camera view of the cash
register from our other location 45 miles away. Is this possible? I'm
thinking that if we get DSL with a static IP at the other location then
I should be able to set up something with a relatively cheap computer
and camera. I'm just not sure where to start looking... and google
gives me an endless sea of possibilities.

Sure! Try the free, unlimited, Basic version of HomeSentinel!

HomeSentinel is software for Windows XP systems that you can
use to help protect your home or business. It can continuously
monitor the video from up to four webcams and alert you by email,
phone, or both when it detects motion. Email alerts contain the
series of video images that caused motion to be detected.
HomeSentinel also allows you to view the video live over the
Internet from a remote computer, via Windows Media Player, a
utility that is available on most Windows computers.

Download the Basic version of HomeSentinel from:
http://bobday.vze.com

-- Bob Day

Old May 22nd 04, 09:12 AM
Dave

Go here and look at the "DVR Cards and Software - PC Based Systems" section.
The Geovision cards have the best software, it seems, and they allow you to
montior
via the internet.

Dave