Matrox Parhelia

Old October 9th 03, 12:55 AM
HMSDOC

Default Matrox Parhelia

I am currently building a new system with a Gigabyte 8KNXP motherboard and was
considering a Matrox Parhelia 128 graphics card. My main use is for Photoshop,
and I work on large 500-600MB files, though I would like to do some occasional
gaming, though not 'hard core' gaming. I would like dual monitor capability
that is easy to use. A few questions if you folks don't mind:

1)Anyone use this card with this board...going through the Matrox website
forums there has been some difficulty with this board and the Matrox 650...

2)Based on my planned use as described above is this card as 'optimal' as my
research would seem to tell me?

3)Any othe Matrox or non-Matrox cards that you would suggest?

Thanks for any input.

Howard
Old October 10th 03, 03:13 AM
KJ

"HMSDOC" wrote in message
I am currently building a new system with a Gigabyte 8KNXP motherboard and

was
considering a Matrox Parhelia 128 graphics card. My main use is for

Photoshop,
and I work on large 500-600MB files, though I would like to do some

occasional
gaming, though not 'hard core' gaming. I would like dual monitor

capability
that is easy to use. A few questions if you folks don't mind:

1)Anyone use this card with this board...going through the Matrox website
forums there has been some difficulty with this board and the Matrox

650...

It's probably only the 650, but that is a guess.

2)Based on my planned use as described above is this card as 'optimal' as

my
research would seem to tell me?

I have the same uses for video, and am 100% satisfied with the Parhelia;
especially now that I never get a chance to play any games!

3)Any othe Matrox or non-Matrox cards that you would suggest?

ATi 9800 Pro if you can deal with reduced 2D quality. Skip Nvidia, the 2D
is worse than ATi's in general.

Thanks for any input.

Howard

Old October 10th 03, 08:48 PM
HMSDOC

What makes you say this...most of what I have read syas that perhaps a touch
worse but very subjectively and minimally so!

Howard

ATi 9800 Pro if you can deal with reduced 2D quality.

Old October 10th 03, 11:34 PM
KJ

If, and this is a important if, you have a very high quality monitor, the
difference is quite noticeable. If you only use typical consumer grade
displays, you'll probably never notice the difference since your display is
limiting the resolution.

Old October 11th 03, 12:59 AM
Arthur Hagen

"HMSDOC" wrote in message
What makes you say this...most of what I have read syas that perhaps a

touch
worse but very subjectively and minimally so!

If you have a good CRT, and want to use the program for (among other things)
Photoshop, like the original poster, the Parhelia lets you see pictures in
10 bits per colour. That can be a very significant difference, especially
for nuances of green and grey.
Also, all ATI cards I've tried don't have a rock steady picture in high
resolutions (1920x1440 and up) -- the image seems to vibrate or swim. I
even blamed the monitor for a while, until I got a Parhelia.

Regards,
--
*Art

Old October 11th 03, 01:05 AM
HMSDOC

I currently use a Samsung SynchMaster 17 inch 700NF. I am thinking of
upgrading to a LaCie Electron Blue IV 19 incher. I know the Samsung would fall
into consumer class...not sure if you would consider the LaCie consumer class
though you csn get the 19 inch one for about $380. Think I would see a
difference with that one? If so, are we talking subtle and barely perceptable
differences or marked ones?

Howard

Howard

Old October 11th 03, 01:38 AM
Arthur Hagen

"HMSDOC" wrote in message
I currently use a Samsung SynchMaster 17 inch 700NF. I am thinking of
upgrading to a LaCie Electron Blue IV 19 incher.

As far as I know, LaCie doesn't have any products of their own, but is a
relabel/branding company. Checking the specs and , this is the exact same
monitor as the NEC/Mitsubishi DiamondPro 930SB with a glare hood and the
LaCie name. The extra colour calibration device and software can be had for
both (for a substantial price).

I bought the DP 930SB, and have been disappointed ever since. The picture
blurs significantly at high refresh rates, and some parts of the screen is
sharper than others regardless of resolution. Compared to the Sony I had
before, it was a step down. Definitely a consumer product.

Regards,
--
*Art

Old October 11th 03, 02:23 AM
HMSDOC

One difference, I believe, is that the Mitsubishi does not let you adjust the
RGB guns individually while the LaCie does...but the tube concern is a problem.
I currently am using a Samsung 17 inch 700NF which, though a consumer
product, I have actually been quite happy with. I wonder if I should just move
up to the 19 inch version of this. What monitor that comes at a reasonable
price do you recommend.

Howard

Old October 11th 03, 02:28 AM
HMSDOC

I am not sure that my printer Epson 2200 can produce that many colors and what
I care about most is the final output, so while I want the best image I am not
sure that the Gigacolor is really all that helpful to me.

Based on what I have read almost everyone says Matrox is best at 2D but by how
much. Seems like almost everywhere I read I am told that the difference is
minimal unless, perhaps, one is using a 21 inch monitor at high res. So the
question is at my monitor size will I see a meaningful difference, if not then
by getting ATI I get the gaming option for free.

Also, from what I have read the drivers are a bit quirky with Matrox and modern
boards and have also heard of image banding problems with the Parhelia in
specific.

So I am vasilating (?sp) and while I was previously strongly in favor of the
Matrox now I am not so sure.

Howard

Old October 11th 03, 03:27 AM
KJ

The last monitor I had was a Sony 21" Artisan....AVOID THEM LIKE THE
PLAGUE!!!

For the cash, you'd think they'd be good, but mine was horribly
mis-converged, and I couldn't adjust out the convergence across the screen.
I could get the center tack-sharp, then the quality was crap 6" from center
and was progressively worse out to the edges. It did, however, have some of
the best color rendition of any monitor, at any price, I've ever seen; and
the color adjustments were good. Unfortunately the color adjustments can't
make up for the horrible focus anywhere out from center.

That experience with the Sony CRT made me run for a pair of Samsung
SyncMaster 191T LCD's. My eyes are thanking me now, even though I cannot
have the same POTENTIAL level of CRT output, the great and CONSISTENT output
is better than the single Sony 21" by a large margin -not to mention saved
desktop space and greater display area. The digital connectors are great.
Color profiling is MUCH EASIER!!! =)