This ram good for overclocking Corsair 1024MB TWINX-3200LL (400MHz) DDR ?

Old February 5th 04, 01:48 PM
We Live For The One We Die For The One

Default This ram good for overclocking Corsair 1024MB TWINX-3200LL (400MHz) DDR ?

Just like to get a stable 220 fsb, 250 would be fantastic

Will be using a Barton 3.2.

Recommend a board ?

Thanks.

Old February 5th 04, 06:50 PM
Wayne Youngman

"We Live For The One We Die For The One" wrote
Just like to get a stable 220 fsb, 250 would be fantastic
Will be using a Barton 3.2.

You again!

Hehe are you gonnna buy this new kit or what? If you are gonna run a Socket
A Barton then use that Corsair on 200MHzFSB with 2.0,2,2 settings (if you
can) or buy yourself some OCZ PC3500 *EL Platinum*. The OCZ can do
2.0,2,2,6 at up to 220MHz (so I read, although 2.0,2,2,11 is best for
nForce2).

Actually you won't see that much benefit from running above 200 MHz
(400DDR). Although you will run into problems above 200MHz of the nForce2,
your mileage may vary.

Quick advice, if you want to get *Value* for your money

1) Don't buy the XP3200. . .buy the XP2500 and clock it up (easy)
2) Don't buy 1GB of quality memory, 512MB will do you

with the money you saved from the XP2500+ CPU and 512MB of Ram you could get
a better graphics card or something like that. . .

Hurry, you are getting very behind. . .
--
Wayne ][
new specs coming soon!

Old February 6th 04, 03:25 PM
We Live For The One We Die For The One

TOOOOOOOOOOO LATE

Old February 6th 04, 04:49 PM
D K Woods

Wayne Youngman wrote:

2) Don't buy 1GB of quality memory, 512MB will do you

Well, this depends on what the system will be used for. I do heavy
Photoshop, Flash, and 3d work. I've got 512MB on the old system I'm
still using, and it's much too little. Take right now -- my MEM Usage
(as reported by Task Manager) is over 800Mb. It frequently gets over
1Gb. That's way too much dependancy on the swap file, if you ask me! So
my new box I recently ordered will start out with 1Gb, and I'll be
adding another Gb in the next month or so.

-david

Old February 6th 04, 11:42 PM
Wayne Youngman

"D K Woods" wrote
my new box I recently ordered will start out with 1Gb, and I'll be
adding another Gb in the next month or so.

Hi,

I say *Quality* . . . . .not. . . . .*Quantity*

When DDR-II hits the market and makes your 2GB look bad (and cheap). Its
your money, but from a *stocks & shares* point of view, buying vast amounts
of regular DDR is not so hot, its gonna *depreciate* so quick.

I hope you make allot of dough from your P-Shop, Flash skills cause your
gonna need it :P
--
Wayne ][
new specs coming soon!

Old February 7th 04, 12:36 AM
D K Woods

Wayne Youngman wrote:
I say *Quality* . . . . .not. . . . .*Quantity*

When DDR-II hits the market and makes your 2GB look bad (and cheap). Its
your money, but from a *stocks & shares* point of view, buying vast amounts
of regular DDR is not so hot, its gonna *depreciate* so quick.

I hope you make allot of dough from your P-Shop, Flash skills cause your
gonna need it :P

The thing to remember is that while the quality of RAM is important,
when I run out of RAM my system has to use virtual memory. Even the
outdated PC2100 memory I have in my old computer right now looks like a
speed demon compared to the bandwidth of an ATA100 HDD.

Although I certainly agree about quality I got Geil PC4200 Ultra
Platinum, after reading some really terrific reviews (I opted for higher
FSB and overclockability at 1:1, as opposed to more aggressive latency
numbers). A 1Gb pair came to just under $300, so it's a good price too
(newegg.com is my new best friend).

Even though buying vast amounts of something that depreciates quickly
might not seem like a good idea at first, you have to think of it in
terms of my work efficiency. Having the extra RAM *now* means I'm more
efficient *now*, and the extra $$ I am generating from this added
efficiency outweights the money I lost from not waiting. The memory
*literally* pays for itself.

Since I run a web/flash development studio, Photoshop and Flash are the
cornerstones of my business. And yes, I'm doing well enough. Put it
this way, on a good day Photoshop and Flash generate enough to pay for
all 2Gb of Geil PC4200 Ultra Platinum. Put it another way, if it wasn't
worth me getting 2Gb of quality memory, my wife/v.p. would have never
let me do it!

-david