8KNXP has no USB 2.0

Old February 13th 05, 02:29 AM
KatManDEW

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:39:36 +0000, Ian
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:30:11 +0000, Ian
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 19:08:51 -0500, KatManDEW
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:55:54 -0000, "IanO"
wrote:

"KatManDEW" wrote in message
m...
Thanks again. Now I'm thinking that I should get one with a card
reader, which is one of my main uses. But I haven't found any
internal, combination card readers with USB ports, which comes with
an interface, and I think there is something squirely with the front
USB header on this 8KNXP motherboard.

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 02:23:51 -0000, "IanO" wrote:

How about this device -

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...vd19wcm9kdWN0X
292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=32624

The card reader units will only have one USB socket on them as the rest of
the bandwidth is used for the card reading. XP is clever enough to
recognise the readers as devices, via the USB header. It's neat! You have
two headers on the Gigabyte board, so you can probably leave the case ports
connected anyway, unless one of them already feeds a bracket on the back
panel....

I could live with one USB port on the card reader. The only problem is
that there's something wrong with USB connected to the front header on
my Gigabyte 8KNXP..... In addition to the Lexar Jump Drive not working
if it's connected to one of the front ports, I just tried a 2.0 hub
connected to a front port and it also came up as a unrecognized
device. Just tried my camera in the front with the same results. I've
been using that camera connected to one of the rear ports since I got
this PC, with no problems, I have a R/C airplane simulator which works
fine connected to a front port. Very perplexing and frustrating.....

Perhaps we ought to revisit the wiring. How does the case present the
connectors? Single pins, pairs, or a block?

Further to that, I suspect that some devices are not fussed about the
shield, or which way round dx and dy are connected, but other devices
are fussy. I think it's something like that which is your problem, so
maybe, as I say, it's a re-check and re-think of the connections to
the board.

OK. I think it's connected with individual pin to the header on the
motherboard, and I'll check it out and compare it to what the manual
says. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks for all the help!!!
Old February 13th 05, 11:48 PM
Adrian Stuart

"KatManDEW" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 01:30:39 -0000, "IanO" wrote:

"KatManDEW" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:46:11 -0000, "IanO" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
"PhilD" wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem with multiple Acer desktops at
work
using
my personal Lexar Jumpdrive Elite. Another brand, but older, is
intermittant
on the front ports. I convinced my boss that I need one at work, so
he
let
me go buy one. I forget the brand I got, but guess what, it works
consistantly on the front ports.
snip
Mmmmm, I wonder if the problem may be the jump drive. I too have a
Lexar 1 gig that cannot connect to my Dell notebook. Works on the
other two computers here though. Also works on my grandson's. Is
there a common thread here?

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

As far as I know, the pins you connected your front ports to are

controlled
by the same chip as the rear ports. However it is possible that the

cable
or cables running to the front ports on the case are not wired for
2.0.

Ian (trying to bottom post as much as possible!)

Mine is a Lexar 1 gig. It works fine in the back ports on my 8KNXP,
but not the front ports. It works on my Dell laptop and in the front
ports on the IBM desktops at work.

Wonder how we can find out about the front port wiring to see if it's
correct, or if they even support 2.0? A jump drive is one of the
things that the front ports are the handiest for.....

What case do you have? We are talking, aren't we, about ports built onto
your case with trailing cables terminating in pins or blocks for
connection
to the headers on the Gigabyte board? Just to be clear! ;-) The header
pins for either USB standard are the same to all intents and purposes, but
port, hub or cable can still be incapable of operating at USB 2.0 speeds.
In such cases only USB 1.1 speed is achieved. Since you achieve USB 2.0
hi-speed with the drive on your rear ports, I still suspect that the
socket/cable provided with your case cannot handle 2.0. It is sometimes
possible to replace these, but you are into specifics based on whose case
you have used.

You could go to EBUYER and purchase their internal USB 2.0 7-in-1 card
reader! As well as reading cards, it has a USB socket on it, which is
certified 2.0. It's a useful peripheral, and connects to the same USB
header
on the motherboard. What's my point? It is to stop using the case front
ports, and replace them with another certified USB 2.0 device that
provides
a USB socket.

Here is a really useful source of USB information:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/directron/installusb.html

Thanks for the info. Yes, we are talking about USB ports on the front
of the case. It's a Antec case with a little door on the front with
two USB ports and a Firewire port.

Funny thing is that I have a old USB 1.1 hub plugged into a port on
the back of the PC, and the Lexar Jumpdrive works fine in that hub.
But it's a unrecognized device if I connect it to the ports on the
front of the case.

I looked at a bunch of things on that web site. The idea of some front
USB/Firewire ports combined with a card reader, mounted in a drive bay
is VERY interesting. The only one I saw on that site also had a bunch
of other stuff like temperature displays and fan speed controllers;
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/directron/uc9fatr2b.html
It doesn't have any more UBS/Firewire ports that the front of my case.
I would love to have something like that with more ports and card
readers, and no overclocking gizmos.

I have a an 8KNXP and Antec case. I think when I built it there was an
addendum to either the case or motherboard manual about errors in the USB
wiring. Possibly a polarity switch.

Adrian

Old February 14th 05, 03:31 AM
KatManDEW

wrote:

"KatManDEW" wrote in message
[...]

My motherboard manual indidates that my USB header is arranged like
the standard Intel header described here;
http://store.yahoo.com/directron/installusb.html
I pulled all the individual pins and they are marked, and they were
connected as listed on that web site. Like this;

2+ 2D- 2D+ 2Gnd
R Wh Gn Brn

1+ 1D- 2D+ 2Gnd
Or Ywl Gry Black

My motherboard actually has two headers, with two ports on each
header. The second header goes to two ports on the bottom back of my
computer, which I didn't even realize were there. These two ports work
fine with the Lexar Jumpdrive, or anything else I connect to them.
They connect to the motherboard with 4 pin blocks.

I've attached a picture of the USB headers on my motherboard.
Old February 14th 05, 03:50 AM
KatManDEW

wrote:

"KatManDEW" wrote in message
[...]

I checked the connections and they are connected like the standard
Intel layout listed here;
http://store.yahoo.com/directron/installusb.html
This is the way my motherboard users manualy also shows them
connected. There is a second header for two more ports that are
connected to the bottom rear of my PC, which I did not even realize
were there. These two ports work fine with the Lexar Jumpdrive and
whatever else I connect to them.
Old February 14th 05, 10:53 PM
IanO

wrote:

"KatManDEW" wrote in message
m...
Thanks again. Now I'm thinking that I should get one with a card
reader, which is one of my main uses. But I haven't found any
internal, combination card readers with USB ports, which comes with
an interface, and I think there is something squirely with the front
USB header on this 8KNXP motherboard.

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 02:23:51 -0000, "IanO"

wrote:

How about this device -

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...=c2hvd19wcm9kd

[...]

Am stuck then! Did you look at the post above from Adrian Stuart? Might be
relevant. Sorry, but I'm out of ideas for now!

Old February 15th 05, 01:00 AM
KatManDEW

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:48:00 -0000, "Adrian Stuart"
wrote:

.. .

"KatManDEW" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:46:11 -0000, "IanO" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
"PhilD" wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem with multiple Acer desktops at
work
using
my personal Lexar Jumpdrive Elite. Another brand, but older, is
intermittant
on the front ports. I convinced my boss that I need one at work, so
he
let
me go buy one. I forget the brand I got, but guess what, it works
consistantly on the front ports.
snip
Mmmmm, I wonder if the problem may be the jump drive. I too have a
Lexar 1 gig that cannot connect to my Dell notebook. Works on the
other two computers here though. Also works on my grandson's. Is
there a common thread here?

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
[...]

Thanks for the reply. I just checked all my documentation and I did
not find any addendums. I left a message on the Antec and Gigabyte
support sites.

I wonder if it would hurt to try swapping the D+ and D- polarity?

Thanks

Don
Old February 15th 05, 01:03 AM
KatManDEW

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:53:46 -0000, "IanO"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I just now saw the post from Adrian, I checked all my documentation
and couldn't find any addendums. I sent a message to Antec and
Gigabyte support.

I wonder if it would hurt to try swapping the D+ and D- polarity?

Many many thanks for all the generous assistance!

Don
Old February 15th 05, 01:41 AM
IanO

"KatManDEW" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:53:46 -0000, "IanO"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

"KatManDEW" wrote in message
m...
Thanks again. Now I'm thinking that I should get one with a card
reader, which is one of my main uses. But I haven't found any
internal, combination card readers with USB ports, which comes

with
an interface, and I think there is something squirely with the

front
USB header on this 8KNXP motherboard.

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 02:23:51 -0000, "IanO"

wrote:

How about this device -

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...n=c2hvd19wcm9k

[...]

Did wonder about a polarity swap, but I'm not 100% sure what could go wrong.
I am fairly sure that, at times, I have been careless with 1 and 2 and not
had any problems. In fact, were I to open my case now, I may find it's
wrong!! ;-))

Old February 15th 05, 02:30 AM
KatManDEW

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:41:36 -0000, "IanO"
wrote:

"KatManDEW" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:53:46 -0000, "IanO"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I got impatient and tried it but it didn't help. The Jumpdrive still
doesn't work and the game controller wouldn't work with D+ and D-
swapped. It didn't appear to damage either device.

Hmmmmmm.
Old February 18th 05, 08:44 PM
KatManDEW

Well, heck with it. I got a $15 add-on USB card, and a $15 internal
memory card reader, and I'm a happy camper.

I got tired of the useless responses grom Gigabyte tech support, and
the non-existant responses from Antec and the vendor where I purchased
the system.