(GA-7N400 Pro2 (rev2)) Sempron 2200+ wrongly identified as AthlonXP 900MHz

Old November 21st 04, 10:37 PM
John V.N

Thanks Ryan and gdp.

I will try to test the config with another piece of RAM tomorrow.

Just got something unclear, if everything goes smoothly, will my CPU
being identified as "Sempron 1500MHz" or "Althon XP 1500MHz" during
POST? (or something else?)

I am really confused about this..

gdp wrote:
Ryan J. Paque wrote:

John V.N wrote:

jpsga wrote:

You must have BIOS Rev. F8
CLK_SWITCH in AUTO (on)
Set CLK_RATIO to 9.5
Un-plug the system ( from the wall).
Clear the BIOS with the jumper.
Boot
Delete into the BIOS and set the clock to 166MZ also day and date
and first boot device.
re-boot.

If you are running 166X9.5=1577mz all is well.
JPS

Correction :BIOS must FH or above.

Thanks , but I have flashed the BIOS to FJ already, still no luck..

I'm running an Athalon 3200+ w/ F8 just fine on a GA-7N400.

But, I have no real suggestions beyond what I suggested earlier today
to someone else:

* Flash back to F8 (what have you got to lose at this point?)
* Remove CMOS battery (do not use the jumper)
* Power up system.
* Quickly switch the power OFF using the main PSU switch (not the
regular case switch)
* Unplug the power cord from the case.
* Switch CLK_SWITCH to AUTO
* Switch CLK_RATIO back to factory default (I don't remember whether
they are all OFF or all ON at the moment, check the manual)
* Plug the power cord back in.
* Hold down the INSERT key
* Power up system
* If/When monitor comes on, let go of the INSERT key.

That usually works for me.

You MAY want to check your RAM. Perhaps it is slightly defective and
simply cannot handle running at full speed?

Ryan

He's got a Rev2 Pro2 board. The BIOS for the regular Pro2 does not
work. FJ is the latest, FA is the earliest for the Rev2 boards. And
the CPU is a Sempron 2200+, not an Athlon XP. Sempron support was added
in FH.

But I do agree that it might be the RAM causing a problem.

Old November 22nd 04, 02:05 AM
gdp

gdp wrote:

Ryan J. Paque wrote:

John V.N wrote:

jpsga wrote:

[...]

Should be Sempron 2200+ since the BIOS is supposed to recognize those
processors now. But I'm not absolutely sure. If problems continue, you
may want to go to the gigabyte forum at www.amdmb.com They have quite
a lot of activity over there. Good luck.
Old November 24th 04, 07:17 PM
John V.N

gdp wrote:

Ryan J. Paque wrote:

John V.N wrote:

jpsga wrote:

[...]

thx very much, I've founnd the problem to be a MOBO's failure..
I've changed it from the vendor and everythings' running perfectly now!