CPU..overheating??

Old April 25th 04, 02:32 AM
RonK

When you use Task Manager (Ctrl/Alt/Del) the System Idle Process should be
around 97 to 99%. What is yours showing ?

"Mo" wrote in message
. au...
Yes.. Home Edition .. I put this machine together for it last August...

"RonK" wrote in message
Are you running XP ?

"Mo" wrote in message
u...
Hi Guys,

Back on the machine after overnight shutdown.. temps at start up M/b
21C..
CPU 52C .. Aux 26 ..

Just checked the CPU usage 0% (13% when I drag the panel). I'm reading
email/NG's and chatting ICQ..

The CPU is now up to 58C... the other temps are 32 - 33 respectively.

Question?.. Is the CPU powered (heated) full time? I was expecting to see
the temp down towards ambient.. 22C.

For info I live in Australia.. ambient is in the 30's during summer.

"RonK" wrote in message
Hey Mo,
Hit ctrl/alt/del and see what the cpu idle is at. Just had a thought that
there may be something using the cpu constantly. I had that problem with
my
neighbours machine.
In XP the cpu idle should be showing 97 - 99%.

"Mo" wrote in message
. au...
Thanks for your inputs, they're appreciated. As an oldie I have problems
with the new tech stuff!

I have re-seated the heat sink with some paste that I had.. Aida shows
the
CPU
temp is now 58/9C .. rising(?) .. M/board is 33C and Aux 34C..
Bios shows roughly the same readings... the room temp is now 22C.
Machine
is
idling. I only use the machine for ICQ, email and occasional surfing.

Should I get another heat sink/fan? As I mentioned previously, I am
using
the AMD supplied unit. I am now concerned.

"Ron" wrote in message
You should be able to see your cpu temp in bios to confirm your reading.

"Mo" wrote in message
. au...
Hi,

I had to replace my GA-7N400-L1, useless after a bios update, with a
GA-700N-L yesterday. I have an AMD 2600 CPU with supplied fan and heat
sink
on the machine.

I was browsing through the posts here for any info on this later
m/board
and
read about CPU temps.. I checked the temps on this machine with
EasyTune4
and Aida32... in each case the temp was shown as 69C. EasyTune was
flashing
warnings.

I could hold my finger in the heat sink of the CPU.. so after overnight
shutdown I checked the temp after bootup this morning. It was given as
63C.
The ambient was 22C.

Is there any way to determine what the actual temp of my CPU? I
certainly
don't believe what is shown on the programs I've run.

TIA-

Mo

Old April 25th 04, 02:45 AM
John

Hi Mo,

I am in Melbourne and a similar setup.

My 2600+ CPU runs a minimum of about 16 degrees above case temperature,
rising to about 21 degrees when working hard. That is with a standard AMD
cooler. The goal is to keep the case temperature as close to ambient as
possible. Some cases tend to accumulate a pool of stagnant warm air around
the CPU. Make sure that the various cables do not block airflow. Use round
drive cables if possible. Extra case fans can help but you may have to play
around a bit to find the best combination of blow and suck and the most
effective location. I have a heap of extra hardware in my boxes which
produce more hot air and I was not happy with summer temperatures. I have
work to do someday soon.
John

u...

Old April 25th 04, 03:06 AM
Mo

Hi RonK..

When I use Ctrl/Alt/Del I get Windows Task Manager up and the only reference
to CPU usage is "performance" .. as I said earlier it shows 0%.. unless I
activate something like dragging the panel across the screen.. other than
that I'm lost!

"Mo" wrote in message
. au...
Yes.. Home Edition .. I put this machine together for it last August...

"RonK" wrote in message
Are you running XP ?

Old April 25th 04, 03:13 AM
Mo

Hi John,

Thanks for the info..as you can see I'm getting a reading that is 25C higher
than you are quoting.

After running the machine for about 4 hours today I'm getting readings of
59C and 33C on the other temps.

I am using Aida32 for the readings as they corresponded to the bios CPU
reading I checked after initial boot..

"John" wrote in message
Hi Mo,

I am in Melbourne and a similar setup.

My 2600+ CPU runs a minimum of about 16 degrees above case temperature,
rising to about 21 degrees when working hard. That is with a standard AMD
cooler. The goal is to keep the case temperature as close to ambient as
possible. Some cases tend to accumulate a pool of stagnant warm air around
the CPU. Make sure that the various cables do not block airflow. Use round
drive cables if possible. Extra case fans can help but you may have to play
around a bit to find the best combination of blow and suck and the most
effective location. I have a heap of extra hardware in my boxes which
produce more hot air and I was not happy with summer temperatures. I have
work to do someday soon.
John

u...

Old April 25th 04, 03:15 AM
Mo

Sorry.. just found System Idle Process.. reading 98%.. looking in the wrong
place.. ;-(

"Mo" wrote in message
. au...
Yes.. Home Edition .. I put this machine together for it last August...

"RonK" wrote in message
Are you running XP ?

Old April 25th 04, 03:36 AM
RonK

At least we know there is nothing using the cpu to create the excess heat.

Try using the computer with the case cover off and see what the temps run
at.
Also if you have a small desk fan you can have it blow air into the open
case. If this drops the temps a lot then you know you need more case fans .

. au...

"Mo" wrote in message
. au...
Yes.. Home Edition .. I put this machine together for it last August...

"RonK" wrote in message
Are you running XP ?

Old April 25th 04, 04:25 AM
Mo

I have checked the PSU fan (a dual fan 450W unit I had to go to to run the
machine) and an 80mm fan on the rear.. all are blowing the same direction
and the airways are as clear as they can be. There is air access through the
front of the cabinet. I also have two HDD drawers with minifans fitted.

I am going out for a couple of hours or so shortly so will leave the machine
running with the side cover off.

It seems that the supplied AMD cooling isn't sufficient. Am wondering if the
fins on the heatsink might be clogged, there are very fine air gaps.

I'm thinking of a replacement when the shops open on Tuesday.

"RonK" wrote in message
At least we know there is nothing using the cpu to create the excess heat.

Try using the computer with the case cover off and see what the temps run
at.
Also if you have a small desk fan you can have it blow air into the open
case. If this drops the temps a lot then you know you need more case fans .

. au...

"Mo" wrote in message
. au...
Yes.. Home Edition .. I put this machine together for it last August...

"RonK" wrote in message
Are you running XP ?

Old April 25th 04, 06:10 AM
John

Hi Mo,

At the moment I am getting 36 and 54 degrees. As I said, I have some case
work to do. I had a mobo failure at Christmas time, so a New Mobo and CPU
and RAM were fitted. The old one ran much cooler, case temps about 5 degrees
above ambient, in fact I took one fan out of the case as it made no real
difference. I need to open the box, make sure I have not blocked any airflow
and probably replace that fan before summer.
John.

"Mo" wrote in message
. au...
| Hi John,
|
| Thanks for the info..as you can see I'm getting a reading that is 25C
higher
| than you are quoting.
|
| After running the machine for about 4 hours today I'm getting readings of
| 59C and 33C on the other temps.
|
| I am using Aida32 for the readings as they corresponded to the bios CPU
| reading I checked after initial boot..
|

| "John" wrote in message
| Hi Mo,
|
| I am in Melbourne and a similar setup.
|
| My 2600+ CPU runs a minimum of about 16 degrees above case temperature,
| rising to about 21 degrees when working hard. That is with a standard AMD
| cooler. The goal is to keep the case temperature as close to ambient as
| possible. Some cases tend to accumulate a pool of stagnant warm air around
| the CPU. Make sure that the various cables do not block airflow. Use round
| drive cables if possible. Extra case fans can help but you may have to
play
| around a bit to find the best combination of blow and suck and the most
| effective location. I have a heap of extra hardware in my boxes which
| produce more hot air and I was not happy with summer temperatures. I have
| work to do someday soon.
| John
|
| "Mo" wrote in message
| u...
| | Hi Guys,
| |
| | Back on the machine after overnight shutdown.. temps at start up M/b
21C..
| | CPU 52C .. Aux 26 ..
| |
| | Just checked the CPU usage 0% (13% when I drag the panel). I'm reading
| | email/NG's and chatting ICQ..
| |
| | The CPU is now up to 58C... the other temps are 32 - 33 respectively.
| |
| | Question?.. Is the CPU powered (heated) full time? I was expecting to
see
| | the temp down towards ambient.. 22C.
| |
| | For info I live in Australia.. ambient is in the 30's during summer.
| |
| |
| | "RonK" wrote in message
| | Hey Mo,
| | Hit ctrl/alt/del and see what the cpu idle is at. Just had a thought
that
| | there may be something using the cpu constantly. I had that problem with
| my
| | neighbours machine.
| | In XP the cpu idle should be showing 97 - 99%.
| |
| |
| | "Mo" wrote in message
| | . au...
| | Thanks for your inputs, they're appreciated. As an oldie I have
problems
| | with the new tech stuff!
| |
| | I have re-seated the heat sink with some paste that I had.. Aida shows
| the
| | CPU
| | temp is now 58/9C .. rising(?) .. M/board is 33C and Aux 34C..
| | Bios shows roughly the same readings... the room temp is now 22C.
| Machine
| | is
| | idling. I only use the machine for ICQ, email and occasional surfing.
| |
| | Should I get another heat sink/fan? As I mentioned previously, I am
| using
| | the AMD supplied unit. I am now concerned.
| |
| |
| |
| | "Ron" wrote in message
| | You should be able to see your cpu temp in bios to confirm your
reading.
| |
| | "Mo" wrote in message
| | . au...
| | Hi,
| |
| | I had to replace my GA-7N400-L1, useless after a bios update, with a
| | GA-700N-L yesterday. I have an AMD 2600 CPU with supplied fan and
heat
| | sink
| | on the machine.
| |
| | I was browsing through the posts here for any info on this later
| m/board
| | and
| | read about CPU temps.. I checked the temps on this machine with
| EasyTune4
| | and Aida32... in each case the temp was shown as 69C. EasyTune was
| | flashing
| | warnings.
| |
| | I could hold my finger in the heat sink of the CPU.. so after
overnight
| | shutdown I checked the temp after bootup this morning. It was given
as
| | 63C.
| | The ambient was 22C.
| |
| | Is there any way to determine what the actual temp of my CPU? I
| certainly
| | don't believe what is shown on the programs I've run.
| |
| | TIA-
| |
| | Mo
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

Old April 25th 04, 06:17 AM
John

Hi Mo,
See my other post re CPU fans. Expect to run around 20 degrees plus and
minus above case temps. I think case temp is your problem. Maybe a PS unit
with a fan in the bottom to suck hot air out of the pocket around your CPU
or a second case fan to get extra cool air movement in that area. Some cases
have a fan in the side above the CPU blowing in.
John

. au...

Old April 25th 04, 01:51 PM
Heckler ²°°³

"Mo" wrote in message
[...]

Seems a little on the high side, but it is the AMD supplied heatsink and
fan, so it does the minimum it needs to. Every AMD heatsink/fan I've used or
seen gives an average CPU temp of around
54-58º

I'd suggest investing in a good heatsink/fan combo. I can recommend the
Coolermaster Dual Heat pipe with low speed fan, or the Coolermaster Aero7
and Jet 7.... I've had all 3 and the heatpipe gave an average of 48º on a
2800 but it's very quiet with a low speed fan. The Aero 7 and Jet 7 give an
average of 40º on low speed, and 44º on high speed.