CPU..overheating??

Old April 24th 04, 04:29 AM
Mo

Default CPU..overheating??

Hi,

I had to replace my GA-7N400-L1, useless after a bios update, with a
GA-700N-L yesterday. I have an AMD 2600 CPU with supplied fan and heat sink
on the machine.

I was browsing through the posts here for any info on this later m/board and
read about CPU temps.. I checked the temps on this machine with EasyTune4
and Aida32... in each case the temp was shown as 69C. EasyTune was flashing
warnings.

I could hold my finger in the heat sink of the CPU.. so after overnight
shutdown I checked the temp after bootup this morning. It was given as 63C.
The ambient was 22C.

Is there any way to determine what the actual temp of my CPU? I certainly
don't believe what is shown on the programs I've run.

TIA-

Mo

Old April 24th 04, 05:57 AM
NuT CrAcKeR

you need to reseat the HSF...

remove the heatsinkfan, and remove any schmootz thats already there. Clean
it well.
Re-apply a very thin layer of schmootz, and make sure that he HSF is
securely mounted.

Your temps should be in the high 30's, low 40's. 69 isnt dangerous, but it
is much higher than normal.

NuTs

. au...

Old April 24th 04, 07:24 AM
Mo

Thanks Nutcracker..

What type of 'smootz' is best .. as I remember, the AMD had a 'tape' ..
assuming the guys who reinstalled my m/board just moved it in one piece, it
still has.

I let the guys in the shop put the replacement m/board together so that the
old m/board went back for warranty!

Is it worth considering a new cooler assembly for the CPU?

Old April 24th 04, 09:56 AM
NuT CrAcKeR

New HSF... depends on what you ahve, and what you intend to do with the
system.

I have used a couple of different kinds of schmootz (gunk, grease, paste..
its all the same) and I have not found a real difference between any of
them. Beit the $12 Arctic Silver 3 I have, or the crap that comes with a new
CPU (not the tape on the bottom of the HSF.. take that crapola off), or a
tube of "thermal transfer compond" i got from radio shack in a pinch.

It all works as long as you apply it well. And by that i mean take your time
and dont be sloppy. a VERY thin layer is all thats needed. I have found that
an old credit card, or bank card, or one of those fake cards they send out
with junkmail works great. Bear in mind, that just because a HSF comes with
a generous amount of the junk, you are not supposed to try to use it all in
one application. One of those little packets, or tubes should last you quite
a while.

There are lots of great pic's and tutorials on the subject. That was where i
learned about how to do it a long time ago.

Cheers,

NuTs

. au...

Old April 24th 04, 01:23 PM
Mo

Thanks for your inputs, they're appreciated. As an oldie I have problems
with the new tech stuff!

I have re-seated the heat sink with some paste that I had.. Aida shows the
CPU
temp is now 58/9C .. rising(?) .. M/board is 33C and Aux 34C..
Bios shows roughly the same readings... the room temp is now 22C. Machine is
idling. I only use the machine for ICQ, email and occasional surfing.

Should I get another heat sink/fan? As I mentioned previously, I am using
the AMD supplied unit. I am now concerned.

Old April 24th 04, 02:14 PM
RonK

Hey Mo,
Hit ctrl/alt/del and see what the cpu idle is at. Just had a thought that
there may be something using the cpu constantly. I had that problem with my
neighbours machine.
In XP the cpu idle should be showing 97 - 99%.

. au...

Old April 25th 04, 12:12 AM
Mo

Hi Guys,

Back on the machine after overnight shutdown.. temps at start up M/b 21C..
CPU 52C .. Aux 26 ..

Just checked the CPU usage 0% (13% when I drag the panel). I'm reading
email/NG's and chatting ICQ..

The CPU is now up to 58C... the other temps are 32 - 33 respectively.

Question?.. Is the CPU powered (heated) full time? I was expecting to see
the temp down towards ambient.. 22C.

For info I live in Australia.. ambient is in the 30's during summer.

"RonK" wrote in message
Hey Mo,
Hit ctrl/alt/del and see what the cpu idle is at. Just had a thought that
there may be something using the cpu constantly. I had that problem with my
neighbours machine.
In XP the cpu idle should be showing 97 - 99%.

. au...

Old April 25th 04, 01:36 AM
Mo

Yes.. Home Edition .. I put this machine together for it last August...

"RonK" wrote in message
Are you running XP ?

"RonK" wrote in message
Hey Mo,
Hit ctrl/alt/del and see what the cpu idle is at. Just had a thought that
there may be something using the cpu constantly. I had that problem with
my
neighbours machine.
In XP the cpu idle should be showing 97 - 99%.

. au...