System Keeps Rebooting GA-8IK1100

Old April 3rd 04, 03:03 AM
juzuz

Default System Keeps Rebooting GA-8IK1100

Hi,

I just put in a new mobo and cpu in my system. I'll give the specs below.
When I boot up, it POSTs, properly detects my hard drives and cd-roms and
then it goes to a prompt that tells me Windows did not properly load on the
previous attempt. It asks me to select from normally starting Windows, or
Safe Mode, or Safe Mode with Command Prompt or Safe Mood with Network
Support. No matter which I select, the systems just reboots and we repeat
this process over and over. What can be the problem? I have tried:
1. unhooking all IDE devices but my primary hard drive
2. putting the primary HD jumper to Master, Cable Select and none
3. using a different IDE cable

My systems specs a

Gigabyte mobo, GA-81k1100
P4 2.8 w/hyper threading
1 gig of memory (PC2700) installed in two channels
WD Caviar 80 GB HD - master
WD 40 GB HD - slave
FDD
Sony DVD burner
Sony cd-rom
Windows XP Professional
Zoom 56K modem
ATI Radeon 9200 128 mg video card

I would appreciate any suggestions to get this baby up and running again!
Thanks!!
Sally

Old April 3rd 04, 08:25 AM
Russell

Hi Sally,

Whenever you install a new motherboard, you have to either run a repair
installation of Windows XP or better yet, format your OS partition and
clean-install the operating system from scratch. There are just too many
registry settings created when installing an operating system on particular
hardware that will no longer be valid with a different chipset, CPU, other
onboard chips, etc. that come with a new motherboard/CPU upgrade.

Also, you have the 875P chipset and a CPU that supports an 800 MHz front
side bus, but that PC2700 memory will limit you to a lower 533 MHz front
side bus speed. Make sure that your BIOS bus speeds for CPU and memory are
set for 133 (quad-pumped to 533) and not 200 (quad-pumped to 800).

Hope this helps,
Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

hlink.net...

Old April 3rd 04, 08:27 AM
Udo Kammer

I just put in a new mobo and cpu in my system. I'll give the specs below.

Old mobo??

Windows XP Professional

Normally you have to make a repair of XP after you changed your
motherboard. After it was successfull you have to install the latest
INF-Update from intel.

Udo Kammer
Old April 3rd 04, 10:58 PM
juzuz

So, I should boot from the CD and select to repair the installation? Is
this why it keeps rebooting? I thought I tried the suggestions Russel gave
and changed the CPU Host Clock Control to 133. But it still reboots.
Perhaps I should boot from the cd and attempt the repair? Old MOBO was an
Asus P4S533.

Thanks,
Sally

Old April 3rd 04, 10:59 PM
juzuz

Russell,

I changed the CPU Host Clock Control to 133. Is this correct? It still
reboots, do I have to do a repair of XP now? Or should it boot to Windows?

Sally

"Russell" rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith "." wrote in
message news:0Gtbc.63608$K91.153299@attbi_s02...

Old April 3rd 04, 11:52 PM
Russell

Hi Sally,

You must do a repair install if you've installed a different motherboard and
haven't formatted your hard drive and performed a clean operating system
installation (which is preferred, by the way.) To perform a repair
installation of Windows XP on a hard drive that was working before you
changed out the motherboard, see the instructions on my web site at
http://tastycomputers.com/support/fa...airinstall.htm.

I hope this helps,
Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

hlink.net...

Old April 4th 04, 04:42 AM
juzuz

Russell,

I will certainly let you know. I'm assuming that I did the right thing with
the CPU since you didn't comment on that part of my post. And, I'm going to
order some new memory that will work with my new MOBO and CPU!

message news:MeHbc.174617$_w.1816021@attbi_s53...

Old April 4th 04, 06:25 AM
juzuz

Russell,

When I attempt to do this, it loads the necessary files and then reboots.
It just won't stop rebooting! Any other suggestions?

Saly

Old April 4th 04, 08:56 AM
Udo Kammer

So, I should boot from the CD and select to repair the installation? Is
this why it keeps rebooting? I thought I tried the suggestions Russel gave
and changed the CPU Host Clock Control to 133. But it still reboots.
Perhaps I should boot from the cd and attempt the repair? Old MOBO was an
Asus P4S533.

You have changed from SIS-Chipset to intel-Chipset. They are not
compatible. Therefore you must do a repair installation of XP and then
you have to install the intel Chipset driver from CD, delivered with
the mobo. Otherwise your PC will not run.

Udo Kammer
Old April 4th 04, 10:19 AM
Stephen Williams

[...]

Do not set the CPU to 133FSB! That will slow the CPU down from a 2.8 to a
1.8

You can set the memory multiplier to 3:4 of the CPU bus speed, keeping the
CPU at 200 and the RAM down at around 160. Which works out to be 800FSB and
DDR320.

Steve