8knxp, Audigy or Onboard sound?

Old October 17th 03, 02:48 AM
Josh Palmer

Default 8knxp, Audigy or Onboard sound?

I just ordered an 8knxp, so i dont yet know whether i'm getting
revision 1 or 2. Either way, I was planning on using my audigy mp3+
5.1 card that I already had. Does anybody out there know whether the
audigy mp3+ is a better card than the onboard sound chip? I assume so,
I also imagine it would be better because it wont be using the cpu's
power to run. Thanks

-Josh
Old October 17th 03, 03:50 AM
Richard Dower

"Josh Palmer" wrote in message
om...
I just ordered an 8knxp, so i dont yet know whether i'm getting
revision 1 or 2. Either way, I was planning on using my audigy mp3+
5.1 card that I already had. Does anybody out there know whether the
audigy mp3+ is a better card than the onboard sound chip? I assume so,
I also imagine it would be better because it wont be using the cpu's
power to run. Thanks

-Josh

You never use onboard sound, use the card you have or upgrade to an Audigy
2. Most of the "tech-heads" have one.

Old October 17th 03, 09:16 PM
Mr E

Josh Palmer wrote:
I just ordered an 8knxp, so i dont yet know whether i'm getting
revision 1 or 2. Either way, I was planning on using my audigy mp3+
5.1 card that I already had. Does anybody out there know whether the
audigy mp3+ is a better card than the onboard sound chip? I assume so,
I also imagine it would be better because it wont be using the cpu's
power to run. Thanks

-Josh

On board sound gives you sound. Audigy gives you good sound. Definitely
worth disabling on-board sound in the bios, and getting a good sound card.

Take care,

John.

Old October 18th 03, 02:30 AM
Timothy Drouillard

Why not just start with the on-board sound. Don't discount it too much, It's
actually pretty good, supports 5.1 speakers, etc...

If after a while you don't think it's good enough, THEN go with the Audigy.

Old October 18th 03, 02:42 AM
Richard Dower

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote in message
Why not just start with the on-board sound. Don't discount it too much,

It's
actually pretty good, supports 5.1 speakers, etc...

If after a while you don't think it's good enough, THEN go with the

Audigy.

With the system specs you have i am surprised you would offer this advice.
How much money did you spend on the PC you built?

Old October 18th 03, 07:19 PM
mark7dc

I purposely went with the 8KNXP to avoid the requirement to purchase a separate
audio card. After fighting a Philips Seismic Edge for several years in Win98, I
found that XP couldn't load drivers for the Philips. I also remember reading
about
a lot of problems others were having with other makes of sound cards. Now, I am
very pleased with the onboard sound and the extra PCI slot that it frees up. Of
course my ears may not be too discriminating after flying jet fighters for 25
years.

Old October 18th 03, 08:24 PM
Richard Dower

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote in message
Why are you surprised?

For the thousands you spent with your 3.2GHz CPU and 2 gigs of memory,
9800Pro and SATA Raptors etc., seems strange you would recomend on-board
sound.

Old October 18th 03, 08:26 PM
Richard Dower

"mark7dc" wrote in message
I purposely went with the 8KNXP to avoid the requirement to purchase a

separate
audio card. After fighting a Philips Seismic Edge for several years in

Win98, I
found that XP couldn't load drivers for the Philips. I also remember

reading
about
a lot of problems others were having with other makes of sound cards.

Now, I am
very pleased with the onboard sound and the extra PCI slot that it frees

up. Of
course my ears may not be too discriminating after flying jet fighters for

25
years.

You can't compare the onboard sound to that of an Audigy 2 card. It also
reserves more system resources by have a separte PCI audio card.

Old October 18th 03, 08:30 PM
Allen

would a Turtle Beach Sant Cruz Card be better than the onboard?