PB Restore cds

Old May 10th 08, 12:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

Default PB Restore cds

On May 9, 6:39*pm, "AWM" wrote:
Bill
Do you have one with win 98FE any where in your collection? The markings on
the cd are MS# X03-94299 and 368-00001-000. This one is 3/4 red color
wrote in message

I will send the CD

Bill- Hide quoted text -

There is Diskimag
That is what he wants
Old May 10th 08, 11:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
[email protected]

Bill
Do you have one with win 98FE any where in your collection? The
markings on
the cd are MS# X03-94299 and 368-00001-000. This one is 3/4 red
color
wrote in message

No, sorroy,.....the only ones that I have that are extras are
the PB Master Restore CD's which happen to be for Windows 95
releases. I know what you are talking about. I have a Master CD with
Win 98 on it, though it is 3/4 purple. That goes with my one
computer. I don't know if it is the SE though. I got all the CD's
that I have from a PB tech or something like that who sold a bunch of
PB restore CD's on Ebay a few years ago. I bought them ....interesting
lot...there was a PB technician diagnostics CD in the bunch. I don't
know what it does though. It is for pre Win 95 I think.

Bill
Old May 11th 08, 01:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
AWM

Does anyone know how I could scan my original PB Win 98FE cd and locate the
errors preventing the installation? I could use my stand alone win 98 FE and
try to make a functioning cd....
mc

Old May 11th 08, 03:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Rich/rerat

AWM,
If you are getting an error when trying to install with PB MRCD like:
"Installation has found that this in not a Packard Bell computer".
Or words to that effect, the following things could be happening.

1. You have upgraded the BIOS for the motherboard, that the MRCD does not
recognize. I have a PB MM955 with a PB850 motherboard using Win98 FE. When
PBell left the US in 2000, their support ended for this PC, and the BIOS
upgrades ended at version 1.09. Even though there were additional BIOS
upgraded for that motherboard, but they were not designed for the North
American machines. So the PB MRCD will not work those PC's, that have the
newer versions of the BIOS. You will need to downgrade the BIOS.
2. If you added newer hardware such as video card, sound card, or modem
card, or even a newer CD-ROM or DVD player, you may run into a problem. The
installation process looks for certain hardware, so it can install the
proper drivers for these devises. If they can not be found, because you
upgraded, the process will also stop. Had this issue when I installed a
video card to replace onboard video chip. The original solution, was to
remove the video card, use the MRCD, then reinstall the video card. Even
"disabling" the video on the board, using a jumper change did not work. So
you might need to remove some hardware upgrades you made. run the MRCD, then
reinstall upgrades and install appropriate drivers.

The following Work Around, is what I have used in the past, so I did not
have to remove hardware when reinstalling from the MRCD.
1. Boot into DOS using the Win98 Boot diskette.
2. Using FDISK, set up the partitions.
3. Boot back into DOS. Place MRCD into CD-ROM.
4. Select either installation file from the MRCD in DOS to run installation.
"X:\" being the CD-ROM designation in DOS. This will only install Win98 on
your PC, you will need to install PBell hardware drivers and PBell software
manually later:

X:\Win98\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\setup.exe
OR
X:\Win98\WINDOWS\WININIT.exe

5. Remove MRCD & Boot Diskette, from PC during the installation process, as
directed.
6. Once you get Win98 installed and you boot up it on the PC.
7. Place MRCD into the CD-ROM, when the installation window pops up, close
it.
8. From the MRCD, Copy the following Folder directory:

CD-ROM:\Win98\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\

And Paste it into the following folder Directory:

C:\WINDOWS

9. From the C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\GTS folder, send a shortcut of the
STracker.exe file to the Desktop.
10. From the Desktop click on the STracker.exe shortcut, and you should be
able install the PBell bundled software that came with you PC now.

If your PBell is working right now, it might be useful if you locate the
drivers for PBell hardware (modem, sound card, etc...) installed through the
Device Manager. And copy them into a separate folder, and back up this
folder. So it will be easier to reinstall the PBell hardware drivers, after
you reinstall Win98. They are there in the MRCD, and CAB files in the
\OPTIONS\ directory, but it might be time consuming to locate & choose the
right one.

--
Rich/rerat
(RRR News) message rule

Old May 12th 08, 12:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
AWM

Thanks for all the info Rich, the problem I actually have is a slight
distorted bubble appearance on the cd film that is preventing the
installation from installing completely. So I need to rebuild the cd, if I
can figure out which files are not reading correctly off the cd...
mc

Old May 12th 08, 04:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

"AWM" wrote in message
Does anyone know how I could scan my original PB Win 98FE cd and locate
the
errors preventing the installation? I could use my stand alone win 98 FE
and
try to make a functioning cd....
mc- Hide quoted text -

I am pretty sure you have a defective CD
What errors did you receive when using the CD.
The HD did have enough room ?
Was the HD empty?

I use Winimage to make a CDROM ISO IMAGE
If it fails you can check the size of each folder against the CDROM
and hope
that is the bad one

Also see by searching if you can find the cab files
You can install windows 98 right off of that

Depending on the encryption method the other PB files can be added
later.
Or not.

Old May 12th 08, 11:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
AWM

"AWM" wrote in message
Does anyone know how I could scan my original PB Win 98FE cd and locate
the
errors preventing the installation? I could use my stand alone win 98 FE
and
try to make a functioning cd....
mc- Hide quoted text -

I am pretty sure you have a defective CD
What errors did you receive when using the CD.
The HD did have enough room ?
Was the HD empty?

I use Winimage to make a CDROM ISO IMAGE
If it fails you can check the size of each folder against the CDROM
and hope
that is the bad one

Also see by searching if you can find the cab files
You can install windows 98 right off of that

Depending on the encryption method the other PB files can be added
later.
Or not.

metronoid
The best I can remember(2 months ago) is that after it went thru a full
restore and rebooted I would get a can not write to disk error. I was using
a 20 gig WD.
mc

Old May 13th 08, 12:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

"AWM" wrote in message
[...]

So windows did load from the CD.
It failed after reboot.
Did you format the HD first ?
Have you tried a boot floppy to see how much room is on the HD.
It may not be the CD.
Old May 13th 08, 02:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
AWM

"metronid" wrote in message

"AWM" wrote in message
[...]

I did format the HD using the WD utility disk, and then I used a boot floppy
to start to load the cd. I do not remember
if I checked to see how much room was on the HD.
mc

Old May 13th 08, 02:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

On May 12, 9:07*pm, "AWM" wrote:
"metronid" wrote in message

On May 12, 6:09 pm, "AWM" wrote:

"AWM" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds correct to me.
The PB CD usually tells if there is enough room.

I hope the utility did not partition the disk
Which I doubt

Get a win98 boot disk with fdisk on it
Look at the parttition info

I have a strange hunch
I could be wrong

Restore Thomas Kenyon UK Computer Vendors 0 April 20th 06 02:40 PM
restore MBR ep Storage (alternative) 12 October 1st 04 10:20 PM
Can I restore MBR?? ep Storage (alternative) 1 September 28th 04 08:22 PM
NEED Help ! RESTORE CD Vze Compaq Computers 4 January 26th 04 06:54 PM
Restore CD Guy Compaq Computers 2 December 12th 03 02:21 AM