Hibernate and suspend simply not supported on GA-K8N Pro?

Old May 6th 08, 02:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

Default Hibernate and suspend simply not supported on GA-K8N Pro?

On Tue, 06 May 2008 01:49:09 -0700, Andy wrote:

:Is this the MDP-130?

The predecessor, the MYHD MDP-120. It's the same, I think, except it
doesn't decode QAM, which I think means I can't use it with cable (which
I don't have presently, anyway). It uses the same application for
recording, timeshifting, etc. I use it with rooftop antennas. It
supports two antenna connections, although I broke one. Will see if I
can fix it. Anyway, I've only been using one of the antennas even before
the other connection broke (which was my fault).

:
: I also use firewire occasionally, so onboard firewire or
:at least an open PCI slot for my firewire card would be nice. I fax
:occasionally, using a PCI modem, so that takes a slot. Not having a
:firewire connection on the front of my case, I rely on one on the back
:somehow.
:
:Another socket 754 AGP board would be easiest for me because I could use
:my CPU and video card and DDR PC3200. Do you have any idea of the
:
:GIGABYTE GA-K8NS PRO
:
:That's socket 754, etc. Do you think it might also have ACPI issues?
:It's an nforce3 250, so maybe those issues were worked out by then.
:
:I've never used this board, so I have no idea. There's no way of
:knowing for sure without actually trying it.
:
:There is one motherboard with five PCI slots that is currently in
roduction, and that is the GA-P35-S3G.

Thanks.

BTW, in my testing yesterday, when trying to restore from S3 and
hibernation, I believe I was getting the same results. With hibernation
a normal boot to post occurred and then Windows tried to restore and
then the whole system lapsed into the same thing I saw with the S3
restore attempt:

Power LED: On, steady

HD LED: On, steady

Numlock light on keyboard: On (I never use numlock, and have it set to
off in BIOS)

Power button: No response unless I held it for 4+ seconds, which results
in shutdown

Reset button: Resets machine

I have had 2-3 different scenarios. Twice the Windows desktop appeared,
but the system locked up. No response when trying to move the cursor
with the mouse, no response to keyboard.

I'm wondering what Gigabyte support would say about my ACPI problems
with the GA-K8N Pro. If they can suggest a workaround or would send me a
different socket 754 mobo on RMA. I bought the board new-in-box
recently. Before receiving the board I called them and asked about
warranty policy and they said I'd have to contact them later with more
information.

Dan

Old May 6th 08, 10:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

I got a great tip at techsupportforums.com to try a free tool called MSC
Standby Tool:

http://slicksolutions.eu/mst.shtml

It was originally for MSC but works for several OS's and can do a lot to
resolve the evidently very prevalent problems encountered with reduced
power states.

It can be run as an exe or installed from the exe's GUI, for expanded
control. I haven't installed it yet, but ran it and went into S3 Standby
and successfully woke the system up after 49 minutes, which I think is a
record. I don't feel so bad now that I realize that the problems I've
been having are commonplace and that there are things I can do to
resolve the difficulties. This tool looks terrific.

Old May 7th 08, 07:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

On Tue, 06 May 2008 14:44:31 -0700, Dan Musicant )
wrote:

:I got a great tip at techsupportforums.com to try a free tool called MSC
:Standby Tool:
:
:http://slicksolutions.eu/mst.shtml
:
:It was originally for MSC but works for several OS's and can do a lot to
:resolve the evidently very prevalent problems encountered with reduced
ower states.
:
:It can be run as an exe or installed from the exe's GUI, for expanded
:control. I haven't installed it yet, but ran it and went into S3 Standby
:and successfully woke the system up after 49 minutes, which I think is a
:record. I don't feel so bad now that I realize that the problems I've
:been having are commonplace and that there are things I can do to
:resolve the difficulties. This tool looks terrific.

Correction, that tool, called MST was originally for MCE. The GUI has a
whole lot to do with MCE but its capabilities extend much beyond it. The
last couple of S3 restarts I have done have succeeded! 2 hours and 5
hours!
Old May 8th 08, 11:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Andy

On Tue, 06 May 2008 06:59:08 -0700, Dan Musicant )
wrote:

On Tue, 06 May 2008 01:49:09 -0700, Andy wrote:

:Is this the MDP-130?

The predecessor, the MYHD MDP-120. It's the same, I think, except it
doesn't decode QAM, which I think means I can't use it with cable (which
I don't have presently, anyway). It uses the same application for
recording, timeshifting, etc. I use it with rooftop antennas. It
supports two antenna connections, although I broke one. Will see if I
can fix it. Anyway, I've only been using one of the antennas even before
the other connection broke (which was my fault).

Do you use the MDP-120 under Windows XP? It works fine under Windows
2000, but when I tried it with Windows XP, I found that when the
driver Mdp100_XP.sys is loaded in memory, Windows XP crashes when
coming out of standby or hibernation.

:

Old May 8th 08, 11:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Andy

wrote:

I got a great tip at techsupportforums.com to try a free tool called MSC
Standby Tool:

http://slicksolutions.eu/mst.shtml

It was originally for MSC but works for several OS's and can do a lot to
resolve the evidently very prevalent problems encountered with reduced
power states.

It can be run as an exe or installed from the exe's GUI, for expanded
control. I haven't installed it yet, but ran it and went into S3 Standby
and successfully woke the system up after 49 minutes, which I think is a
record. I don't feel so bad now that I realize that the problems I've
been having are commonplace and that there are things I can do to
resolve the difficulties. This tool looks terrific.

I tried it, I'm not sure what it's supposed to do, but I did not see
any difference in the behavior of my K8N Pro.
Old May 9th 08, 02:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

On Thu, 08 May 2008 15:04:34 -0700, Andy wrote:

[...]

Yes, under XP. I used to use it under Win2000, also successfully.
However, I wasn't using S3 or hibernation then. Is that driver loaded in
memory even after closing the MyHD application? How can you tell it's
loaded in memory? I have MyHD open right now, live TV. Under Processes
in Task Manager I see MyHD.exe and MyIRC.exe. How would I know if
Mdp100_XP.sys is loaded? If I close MyHD, will it still be loaded? I
haven't so far tried doing S3 or hibernation with MyHD open, don't know
why I'd want to. Now, obviously something is active even when MyHD isn't
open because scheduled recordings proceed. I figured it might be a
service. Do you know? I don't see it in services. If I close MyHD, it
disappears from Processes, but MyIRC.exe remains, which doesn't surprise
me becaue its icon is always there in the tray.

Anyway, I'm no longer getting crashes when coming out of S3. Haven't
tried hibernation, but will.

I had a problem I discovered yesterday being loss of audio through my
Hercules GTXP PCI soundcard/breakout box, which is connected by SPDIF to
my AV receiver. It would happen every time I came out of S3. Sometimes I
still had audio through headphones out of the breakout box, sometimes
not. I did some hunting today and found a more recent driver for the
card, one that is said to address some XP issues and make the card
usable with Vista. After some problems getting the driver to work, I got
it installed OK, recognized in Device Manager, and configured and I no
longer have sound loss, at least the last couple of times out of S3. It
looks like I may have worked through the problem for the most part. I
think the most important factor was the installation of the MST utility
I linked in this thread yesterday.

Old May 9th 08, 02:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

:wrote:
:
[...]
:** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

Try installing the all-in-one driver package for nforce3 (36 MB) from
nvidia.com,

nForce_5.11_winxp2k_international_whql.exe

You can get it he

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce3_winxp_5.11.html