Building PC, to floppy or not to floppy?

Old August 16th 03, 08:31 AM
Frank

"b p" wrote in message

| On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:16:25 GMT, "Frank" wrote:

| |
| | Do these devices install as the A: drive?
|
| I have a high speed Sony USB FDD it installs as an A drive on a
| system without a floppy. On a system with one floppy it installs
| as B drive. There is also in my bios a choice to boot from USB
| floppy. Other hardware I don't know about. GA-8I900 and GA-8I1000
| are the mb's I am referencing.
|
| I was afraid of that. Now I'm going to have to go and buy one.

I bought mine at mwave. Do a little research because the way things
are going there might be a little better deal somewhere else. Also
they may have upgraded this type of thing by now.

Old August 16th 03, 01:56 PM
b p

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 07:31:06 GMT, "Frank" wrote:

"b p" wrote in message
.. .

| On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:16:25 GMT, "Frank" wrote:

| |
| | Do these devices install as the A: drive?
|
| I have a high speed Sony USB FDD it installs as an A drive on a
| system without a floppy. On a system with one floppy it installs
| as B drive. There is also in my bios a choice to boot from USB
| floppy. Other hardware I don't know about. GA-8I900 and GA-8I1000
| are the mb's I am referencing.
|
| I was afraid of that. Now I'm going to have to go and buy one.

I bought mine at mwave. Do a little research because the way things
are going there might be a little better deal somewhere else. Also
they may have upgraded this type of thing by now.

will do
thanks

Old September 14th 03, 08:23 PM
Kalle K.

You asked us to name a situation... no stipulation was placed on what
that situation must intail. I find the same to be useful, since at my
work we're still cringe using nt4... when the network's out, and I
need to get some paperwork printed asap, I've used a floppy to print a
doc out in my bosses office.

jaeger wrote:

In article ,
says...

Thats crap, he's on about the fact the college Desktop only had a floppy
drive free so he could transfer his data..

Thats the relevance..

No, it is not relevant to compare what is probably an obsolete machine
to one being built today from new parts.

Old September 14th 03, 08:24 PM
Kalle K.

.... only to find it corrupt.

It's happened to me... thank god my prof understood.

NoRemorse wrote:

"bp" wrote in message

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 07:17:56 GMT, jaeger wrote:

In article ,
says...

Copying a paper (five minutes from the deadline) from my laptop to a

school

computer, so I can print it out.

Did I miss the part where the original poster was building a laptop?

here try this

Copying a paper (five minutes from the deadline) from my PC to a
school computer, so I can print it out.

Don't forget running from the dorm to the computer lab holding onto the
floppy as if your life depended on it.

Old September 14th 03, 08:25 PM
Kalle K.

It's not only NT4 that you'd have to worry about... it's also the policy
restrictions that a [good] IT department might put in place.

Dodgy wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:38:01 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
waffled on about something:

bp wrote:
:: On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 07:17:56 GMT, jaeger wrote:
::
::: In article ,
::: says...
:::
:::: Copying a paper (five minutes from the deadline) from my laptop to
:::: a school computer, so I can print it out.
:::
::: Did I miss the part where the original poster was building a laptop?
::
:: here try this
::
:: Copying a paper (five minutes from the deadline) from my PC to a
:: school computer, so I can print it out.

USB thumbdrive...

Unless you happen to be working with NT 4...
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Old September 14th 03, 08:27 PM
Kalle K.

Name a school that allows filesharing between lab "workstations", or one
that doesn't VLAN-off the dorm networks. If you can name one... it
has gotten hit pretty hard over the last couple of months.

Ben Pope wrote:

NoRemorse wrote:

Copying a paper (five minutes from the deadline) from my laptop to a
school computer, so I can print it out.

Quicker over a network. If you or your school is not connected, shame on
you/them.

Ben

Old September 14th 03, 08:29 PM
Kalle K.

What?? Double copies on the same floppy?? You've still got a single
point of failure!

NoRemorse wrote:

"Ben Pope" wrote in message

NoRemorse wrote:

sarcasmReally? No way./sarcasm

Well I apologise for insulting your intelligence.

Thank you. Apology accepted.

Yes, I did say that. "Hooking up to the network in labs is tricky.
(I've obtained a connection once out of several tries with the same
DNS and IP settings.)" And let me clarify something. I would have to
specifically go out of my way to a public area (usually that's
another building) to hook up my laptop to the school's network and
then email it to myself and then go back to the computer lab with the
printer and retrieve the email and print it.

Well I'm unclear of the exact situation and the order in which you would

do

things and where you would be at the time. Clearly we have our wires
crossed.

Yeah I agree.

LOL. Oh I have no problems with FTP. You're quoting me out of
context. That sentence read "Five minutes from the deadline, I won't
fiddle with any software that will most likely fail (Murphy's law)."
You missed the "five minutes" part and "Murphy's law" I believe they
change the meaning of that sentence. Things generally fail exactly
when you need them most.

It's hardly like floppies are immune to such failure. I don't believe I

was

quoting you out of context.

True. Floppies are terrible when it comes to reliability. I usually work
around that by making several copies of the same file on the same floppy.

The FTP implementation in Explorer is really bad, BTW. IE has
problems with slow or lagging FTP servers.

I've never had any major problems with it, although I prefer dedicated ftp
programs for anything more complicated than a small file or two.

Yeah it's perfect for simple transfer. I'd never entrust it with anything
big, however.