Worm.Automat.AHB appears on a newsgroup and NAV does NOT detect it!

Old September 20th 03, 02:08 AM
Phil Weldon

Default Worm.Automat.AHB appears on a newsgroup and NAV does NOT detect it!

This is getting really nasty. Some asshole just cross-posted the HTML bogus
Microsoft security update WITH the Worm.Automat.AHB infection attachment.

Norton Antivirus DOES NOT DETECT this when download the post from a usenet
newsgroup. Neither does Outlook Newsreader. You can open the post AND you
can open the infection attachment.

I opened the post, and then saved the attachment to disk rather than
executing it (which I assume I could have.) Only when the save to disk
began did Norton Antivirus detect the infection and delete it from the
folder I saved to (that's the option I've selecected.)

Here's the header from the cross-posted infected message:

H!newshosting.com!news-xfer2.atl.newshosting.com!diablo.voicenet.com!prox ad.
net!213.253.16.105.MISMATCH!mephistopheles.news.cl ara.net!news.clara.net!new
s-hub.cableinet.net!blueyonder!internal-news-hub.cableinet.net!news-binary.b
lueyonder.co.uk.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail
FROM: "ian graham"
NEWSGROUPS:
alt.comp.mail.qmail,alt.comp.malaysia,alt.comp.per iphs.cdr,alt.comp.periphs.
mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegro up,alt.comp.periphs.mainbo
ard.epox,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
..shuttle,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
SUBJECT: Use pack from the M$
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 21:54:01 GMT

Phil Weldon,

Old September 20th 03, 04:03 AM
Winey

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 01:08:58 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
wrote:

This is getting really nasty. Some asshole just cross-posted the HTML bogus
Microsoft security update WITH the Worm.Automat.AHB infection attachment.

Norton Antivirus DOES NOT DETECT this when download the post from a usenet
newsgroup. Neither does Outlook Newsreader. You can open the post AND you
can open the infection attachment.

Uh, I have NAV set to check every 5 minutes for updates. I have lost
count of how many Worm-attacks I've had, but they have all been
blocked. At least I believe so, since my system is running just fine.

And to respond to another post of yours, I trust Symantec in a way
that I do NOT trust MS.
Old September 20th 03, 04:21 AM
Phil Weldon

Checking 'Live Update' every five minutes won't do anything but insure that
you get virus definitions that are no more than a few days old. If you want
the newest virus definitions you must use 'Manual Update'. If you read the
help files and manual for Symantec/Norton Antivirus you see this
explanation. Prior to 19SEP03 Norton Antivirus 'Live Update' maintained NAV
protection DID NOT identify and remove Worm.Automat.AHB. Microsoft Outlook
with SP3 DID protect protect against Worm.Automat.AHB. You were not
protected against this worm. Trust who you will, but please use all
available anti-virus and worm proceedures, and don't risk an infection in
your system that becomes a problem for all of us just because you don't like
Microsoft. It's not smart and we shouldn't all have to pay for your
attitude. Symantec and Microsoft both are in business to make money...
THAT you can trust, and that there are no guarantees other than your own
dilligence in protecting your system using all available means. I don't
mean to be harsh, but unprotected systems are a problem for all of us. Do
your part.

Phil Weldon,

Old September 20th 03, 05:07 AM
Triffid

Phil Weldon wrote:

This is getting really nasty.

... and continues to get nastier.

Some asshole just cross-posted the HTML bogus
Microsoft security update WITH the Worm.Automat.AHB infection attachment.

There have been several more - could be the worm, not the asshole - but
thankfully usenet isn't getting hammered like email.

Millions of netizens are stuck with 5 or 10 meg mailboxes. At ~150K
each, it only takes 35 or 70 worm mails - which is about the hourly rate
in my case. Many users don't have access to server-side mail processing
rules, or know how to define them if they do, and even then the faked
bounce messages are difficult to filter.

I hesitate to guess how many valid email accounts are currently
rejecting mail because they've been DOSed by this worm, and it's still
going strong.

This is probably the most insidious attack ever perpetrated on the net.

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 21:54:01 GMT

Phil Weldon,

Old September 20th 03, 06:05 AM
Phil Weldon

Yeah, like the "Day of the Triffids"; if you're blind to the problem it's
hard to protect yourself.

"Triffid" wrote in message
.. .

Old September 20th 03, 07:13 AM
Phil Weldon

Norton Antivirus, even with the latest definition updates, DOES NOT detect
or remove the Worm.Automat.AHB infection attachment from a newsgroup post.
If you try to open the atachment, it will detect the worm and stop the
attachment from executing, but the infected file stays on your storage
device. This is with Norton SystemWorks 2003 and Outlook Newsreader (which
is just Outlook Express Newsreader with a different name), Windows 2000
Professional with all the updates and patches, Outlook Express with all the
updates and patches, Internet Explorer with all the updates and patches, and
Outlook 2000 with SP3.

Phil Weldon,

Old September 21st 03, 11:24 AM
Syth Lord

Triffid wrote in message news:
This is probably the most insidious attack ever perpetrated on the net.

Nah, that would be Verisign.
Old September 22nd 03, 05:57 AM
jaster

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 01:08:58 +0000, Phil Weldon while doing time wrote:

This is getting really nasty. Some asshole just cross-posted the HTML
bogus Microsoft security update WITH the Worm.Automat.AHB infection
attachment.

FROM: "ian
NEWSGROUPS:
alt.comp.mail.qmail,alt.comp.malaysia,alt.comp.per iphs.cdr,alt.comp.periphs.
mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegro up,alt.comp.periphs.mainbo
ard.epox,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
.shuttle,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
SUBJECT: Use pack from the M$

Appreciate the warning but next time just post the worm/virus Subject
line so we can filter as needed.
Old September 22nd 03, 06:52 AM
David Maynard

jaster wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 01:08:58 +0000, Phil Weldon while doing time wrote:

This is getting really nasty. Some asshole just cross-posted the HTML
bogus Microsoft security update WITH the Worm.Automat.AHB infection
attachment.

FROM: "ian
NEWSGROUPS:
alt.comp.mail.qmail,alt.comp.malaysia,alt.comp.p eriphs.cdr,alt.comp.periphs.
mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.eliteg roup,alt.comp.periphs.mainbo
ard.epox,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
.shuttle,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
SUBJECT: Use pack from the M$

Appreciate the warning but next time just post the worm/virus Subject
line so we can filter as needed.

The subject line changes, as does the file name, each time the worm sends it out.