cause of constant CRC errors?

Old December 26th 04, 04:00 PM
Christo

Default cause of constant CRC errors?

every large file i download gets a CRC error

I have downloaded a demo of FM2005 Gold

from sigames

and am awaiting arrival of the game from amazon, i thought i would try the
demo

i have downloaded the 161 mb files twice and during the extraction of
data1.cab file there is a CRC error

I also get CRC errors on other large installation, mainly games, Such games
have been The Sims2, after registering the Sims 2 i found out on EA support
that changing the hard drive/CD-ROM drive to PIO mode may solve the problem

It worked for the sims and for Rise Of Nations games

however battlefield 1942 and This Football Manager 2005 Demo dont appear to
want to work?

why do i get constant amounts of CRC when installing large files from my
hard drive

(notE: sims 2 was from a CD-ROM as was BF1942) rise of nations and this
FM2005 demo were from my hard drive, am i going to have troubles with the
full game installation CD?

it works fine with other applications such as Adobe AcroBat from my hdd and
Norton AntiVirus and AVG antivirus and Avast Anti Virus, all large programs
that installed fine

it seems to be programs utlizing .cab files

cany anyone give me any hints? is it my hard drive, it is second hand but it
should work...?

Also when i tried to install the game i got a message asking for the windows
XP SP2 CD to replace some files that got damaged

I did insert the original CD and all was well... could this be related to
the CRC problem?

Thanks (in advance)

Chris

Old December 26th 04, 04:12 PM
Christo

please note:

I am getting CRC in PIO mode off my hard drive where the self extracting EXE
file is

i thought PIO mode never used cyclic redundancy checks (CRC)

my IDE cables are rounded and have a rubber jacket around them, reason for
this suggestion is it could be crosstalk on the IDE cables? however wouldnt
the rubber coating protect them?

They are open at the ends they plug into the board and into the optical
drives and hard drive.

the hard drive is really really close the optical drives as i have it housed
in a harddrive coller that fits into a 5.25 bay

so could it be because the cables are too close together?

i hope not i have very little room in my puter case despite it being
masssssiiivvveee

the PSU has loads of free 4 pin connectors taking up all the space

the 12 pin power cable has a fat fat rounded wire and it takes up alot of
space

I juat want this thing to stop the CRC errors only occur on cab files and in
games, why is it doing this someone please help i have no idea, i have a few
thoughts on what it may be but i am no expert.

Old December 26th 04, 04:40 PM
Jerry G.

I would suggest to run a memory diagnostics to test the RAM to start with.
Then run the diagnostics for your hard drive(s). If these pass, then there
may be an operating system problem, or something running in the background
that is causing the fault. All aspects must be first checked out before
coming to any conclusions.

--

Jerry G.
======

Old December 26th 04, 05:39 PM
kony

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 15:00:34 -0000, "Christo"
wrote:

[...]

It's not likely to be the hard drive, check the CPU temps,
voltage levels and run http://www.memtest86.com for several
hours.

You might also try underclocking the system and retrying the
activities causing the CRC errors. With memory, FSB, CPU,
and power consumption lower but still same HDD, that would
tend to rule out the HDD.

Old December 26th 04, 07:51 PM
_Vanguard_

"Christo" wrote in message
[...]

Does it still happen when you use msconfig.exe to disable startup
programs, reboot, and then retry whatever action generates the CRC
error?

Any errors when you run "chkdsk /r c:" (or whatever are the iffy
drives)?

*** Post your replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.
*** For e-mail, you must append "#NEWS#" to the Subject.

Old December 27th 04, 01:35 AM
Christo

"_Vanguard_" wrote in message
"Christo" wrote in message
[...]

something weird happens when i try a chkdsk in windows cmd

i run it

C:\chkdsk

it does its thing and says there are problems, blah blah cannot correct
problems in read only mode would you like to run chkdsk at next startup so i
press Y

it runs does its thing on startup and corrects supposed errors

i then try and do it again in the cmd prompt

C:\chkdsk

again errors found... straight after rebooting from a chkdsk as you say
/chkdsk i imagine is the extension in msconfig, so i am not sure whats going
on?

I did manage to get the demo of fm05 installed, its a bit random though and
not very efficeint

Old December 27th 04, 04:14 AM
Eric

first - scan your system and make sure you dont have a virus or some such
thing playing games with you.
What version of windows are you running?
What else is running?
Swap your dimms around ie: exchange DIMM-0 with DIMM-1 if possible
and re-run. If you see new symptoms it could be a bad dimm.
I once had a system that would fail on a HDD format every time. It turned
out to be a bad dimm but for awhile I truly thought my HDD was bad.
Eric

Old December 27th 04, 05:07 AM
_Vanguard_

"Christo" wrote in message

i run it

C:\chkdsk

Look back at my post. I did NOT say to run just "chkdsk". Notice what
I said and what switches were specified. You can also run "chkdsk /?"
to get help on its syntax and switches. I said to include the /r
switch. I don't think it matters the order of switches and the drive
parameter but, in case order is significant, then try "chkdsk c: /r".
When you reboot, you should see it testing the surface integrity. That
will take awhile to complete depending on how big is your drive.

Old December 27th 04, 07:05 AM
Noozer

"_Vanguard_" wrote in message
"Christo" wrote in message

i run it

C:\chkdsk

Look back at my post. I did NOT say to run just "chkdsk". Notice what
I said and what switches were specified. You can also run "chkdsk /?"
to get help on its syntax and switches. I said to include the /r
switch. I don't think it matters the order of switches and the drive
parameter but, in case order is significant, then try "chkdsk c: /r".
When you reboot, you should see it testing the surface integrity. That
will take awhile to complete depending on how big is your drive.

BTW, if you are having CRC errors, the *LAST* thing you want to do is a
defrag, scandisk for chkdsk. Moving/shuffing/repairing files is a *BAD*
thing if your HDD controller is flakey, cable is bad or memory is having
errors.

Old December 27th 04, 09:08 AM
_Vanguard_

"Noozer" wrote in message

"_Vanguard_" wrote in message
"Christo" wrote in message

i run it

C:\chkdsk

Look back at my post. I did NOT say to run just "chkdsk". Notice
what
I said and what switches were specified. You can also run "chkdsk
/?"
to get help on its syntax and switches. I said to include the /r
switch. I don't think it matters the order of switches and the drive
parameter but, in case order is significant, then try "chkdsk c: /r".
When you reboot, you should see it testing the surface integrity.
That
will take awhile to complete depending on how big is your drive.

BTW, if you are having CRC errors, the *LAST* thing you want to do is
defrag, scandisk for chkdsk. Moving/shuffing/repairing files is a
*BAD*
thing if your HDD controller is flakey, cable is bad or memory is
having
errors.

What if the errors are caused by "soft spots" on the surface where
retentivity has waned over time. "chkdsk /r" will test the surface and
move the data from flaky spots, if it can successfully read the data.
If the controller is bad, nothing you can do will guarantee you don't
corrupt the data. Even trying to save a disk image will be iffy since
you are still using the same flaky controller to read the data (and
write it onto other media if using that same controller, like a hard
disk and CD/DVD-R sharing the same controller). You are screwed if you
don't have drive images created prior to when the controller went flaky
or have logical file backups that sucessfully read the files.

I don't know if the OP is using WinZip and, if so, configured it to
handle .cab files. You can configure which filetypes are associated
with WinZip in its options, and .cab is one of those. I don't know
about version 9 (latest) but back in version 7 and 8 it was possible to
have WinZip create archive files but it would record the wrong CRC
value. Then when you extract the files from the archive file, WinZip
again recalculates the CRC for the extracted file against the recorded
CRC. It they didn't match, it reported a CRC error. However, the file
extracted okay and the problem was WinZip screwing up the CRC
calculation. It has been over 3 years (version 8 was out a LONG time)
but I recall it had to do with either JPEG or movie files (which are
already compressed) and exceeding a maximum file count or nearing it.
There is an option in WinZip to extract the file despite it claiming
there is a CRC error. When the problem arose, I sent a trouble report
to WinZip how actually confirmed the problem, so I've kept my PKzip
around because it never did exhibit the CRC problem. At this point, the
only things I remember about the WinZip CRC problem what that I was
saving several huge files into the archive file or I added lots of files
which pushed the file count somewhere way over 32K. Maybe I was trying
to archive a directory with all its files, and one of mine has 54K files
under it. I think the old version didn't support files over 4GB and
maxed out at 65K files per archive, but those should be upped in the
latest version. So far we have been assuming the CRC error has been
caused by hardware but it is possible the real cause is software and
maybe WinZip.

The OP also said that a game somehow instigated a request to do a repair
from the Windows install CD. If the OP had already installed Service
Pack 2 for Windows XP but used a Window XP Service Pack 1 installation
CD to do the repair then he has mismatched files (i.e., he tried to use
an SP-1 CD to repair an SP-2 setup). He said he used the "original"
install CD which might only be SP-1. He would need to create a bootable
install CD that slipstreamed SP-2 into Windows XP to use for repairing
his SP-2 system.

The OP also mentioned that he has 3 anti-virus products installed:
Norton Antivirus, AVG, and Avast. Well, that might be okay if he has
only ONE on-access scanner from one of them running. He can use them
all to use their on-demand scanner (i.e., manual scan) but only one
on-access scanner should be running. These operate as a kernel-level
file system driver that will interrogate the data stream on file writes
so having more than one of them performing a similar function but
operating differently might end up with conflicts. Even using
msconfig.exe to disable startup programs won't eliminate the driver
loads for all the anti-virus software. Three chefs in your one kitchen
trying to bake a cake using different procedures will probably get in
each other's way. More is not always better. Pick one anti-virus
product to use its on-access scanner (so you load only one file system
filter driver) and use the on-demand scanners when you want added
detection.