Norton AV renewal fee

Old November 11th 03, 01:43 PM
HistoryFan

Default Norton AV renewal fee

I have a Dell 2400, bought two months ago. My Norton AV subscription
expires in one month, and today it prompted me to renew my subscription. I
had two choices, upgrade to version 2004, which I declined due to the bad
reviews and higher cost, or merely renew the DAT files for my 2003 version.
I choose the later. The price: a whopping $30!! Geez. I decided to put it
off for a while.

Old November 11th 03, 01:58 PM
Lester Horwinkle

Get AVG. It's free.

I've had so many problems with Norton that I'm not going back.

If you want better, sometimes you're forced to pay less (or pay nothing at
all).

Old November 11th 03, 02:31 PM
BStern

I steer clear of Norton these days. A few months ago I updated my
subscription for a hefty amount. Then I suffered a PC crash. When I
emailed Norton explaining my problem they would not let me download again,
even though I had proof of purchase. I went to AVG, it is good and free.

--
Remember Lot's Wife

Old November 11th 03, 03:00 PM
Tom Almy

On the site for AVG it says the free edition cannot be installed on any
networked environment, and is for single system users only. Sounds like
it leave me (and other users with home LANs) out.

Meanwhile NAV makes no sense to renew for $30 when you can buy new OEM
copies on EBAY for $10.

Old November 11th 03, 11:38 PM
Lester Horwinkle

If your interpretation were correct, then Norton is saying "not for use by
99% of America."

I don't think your interpretation is correct.

See, you're not installing on a network server. Only one system will use
your installed NAV software.

The network environment that they refer to is a corporate setting where a
single software installation on a server is shared by multiple desktops.
This was (is) a common scenario in the Unix workstation world, where
software license usage is respected by the buyers, and enforced by licensing
servers.

That model never made it into the Windows world.

Old November 12th 03, 12:46 AM
Edward J. Neth

Take a look at the new Trend PCCillin 2004 Internet Security - you can get
it for $25 after a competitive upgrade from Norton, and it includes a
firewall, antispam, privacy protection, antivirus, and damage cleanup tools.

The tools probably aren't as flexible as standalone applications, but then
again they are entirely useable and the price is excellent - and the program
is nowhere near as bulky or invasive as Norton or McAfee.

Old November 12th 03, 05:07 AM
Roland

"HistoryFan" wrote in message
I have a Dell 2400, bought two months ago. My Norton AV

subscription
expires in one month, and today it prompted me to renew my subscription.

had two choices, upgrade to version 2004, which I declined due to the bad
reviews and higher cost, or merely renew the DAT files for my 2003

version.
I choose the later. The price: a whopping $30!! Geez. I decided to put

it
off for a while.

eTrust EZ AntiVirus
www.my-etrust.com

--
Roland
Reply e-mail not monitored

Old November 12th 03, 11:59 AM
Hank Arnold

$30 to secure my PC from viruses???? Sounds like a good deal to me....

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

norton AV2005 problem Christo General 9 November 29th 04 04:44 AM
Alternatives to Norton Internet Security (HELP!) Johnny Canuck General 14 September 24th 04 01:56 AM
Do you like Norton SystemWorks Pro? Steve Compaq Computers 11 September 10th 03 10:58 PM
Do you like Norton SystemWorks Pro? Steve Dell Computers 11 September 10th 03 10:58 PM
Do you like Norton SystemWorks Pro? Steve Homebuilt PC's 8 September 8th 03 01:42 PM