Max HD Size on DELL XPS T450

Old November 13th 03, 01:19 AM
Satpal Chadner

Default Max HD Size on DELL XPS T450

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the max HD size was for a
T450 system?
My brother-in-law has bought a 120gb Maxtor and the system just
doesn't dectect the drive.
We have flashed the BIOS to A11(from A04) without any luck. The Dell
website says that the largest drive they tested(shipped) with the XPS
T450 is 80gb.

Thanks in Advance

Satpal Chander
Old November 13th 03, 01:33 AM
S.Lewis

"Satpal Chadner" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the max HD size was for a
T450 system?
My brother-in-law has bought a 120gb Maxtor and the system just
doesn't dectect the drive.
We have flashed the BIOS to A11(from A04) without any luck. The Dell
website says that the largest drive they tested(shipped) with the XPS
T450 is 80gb.

Thanks in Advance

Satpal Chander

Is the drive not detected in BIOS or Windows?

Stew

Old November 13th 03, 04:16 AM
Shiranui Gen-An

"Satpal Chadner" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the max HD size was for a
T450 system?
My brother-in-law has bought a 120gb Maxtor and the system just
doesn't dectect the drive.
We have flashed the BIOS to A11(from A04) without any luck. The Dell
website says that the largest drive they tested(shipped) with the XPS
T450 is 80gb.

I've installed a 160GB Maxtor HDD in an Dimension XPS T500 (though it could
only see 132GB of it).

Old November 13th 03, 06:19 AM
Pat Conover

According to Dell's web site, the largest drive shipped and tested on the
XPS T series is 80GB. Doesn't mean it won't take a larger drive. I have
the same machine and am running a 60GD second HD with no problems. Did you
set LBA as enabled in the BIOS? Also Auto for the new drive in the BIOS?
HTH

Pat Conover

Old November 13th 03, 09:07 AM
Tom Scales

And jumpered the drive Cable Select

And Partitioned and Formatted the Drive?

Old November 13th 03, 11:28 AM
Satpal Chadner

"Pat Conover" wrote in message ...
According to Dell's web site, the largest drive shipped and tested on the
XPS T series is 80GB. Doesn't mean it won't take a larger drive. I have
the same machine and am running a 60GD second HD with no problems. Did you
set LBA as enabled in the BIOS? Also Auto for the new drive in the BIOS?
HTH

Not sure what you mean when you say Auto for the new drive. I have set
the the prefs in the bios for secondary master as Auto, the settings
Multi-Sector Transfers [16-Sectors]
LBA Mode Control: [Enabled]
Transfer Mode: [Standard]
Ultra DMA: [Mode 2]

Also to answer the other posters question about whether it's detected
in Bios or Windows. Its not detected in either Bios of Windows.

Anymore help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
satpal
Old November 13th 03, 12:33 PM
Danny Kile

Satpal Chadner wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the max HD size was for a
T450 system?
My brother-in-law has bought a 120gb Maxtor and the system just
doesn't dectect the drive.
We have flashed the BIOS to A11(from A04) without any luck. The Dell
website says that the largest drive they tested(shipped) with the XPS
T450 is 80gb.

Thanks in Advance

Satpal Chander

You may want to try to set the drive up so that it is the only drive in
the system. Primary/Master see if it is recognized then. Or try using
cable select. Sometimes you run into a situation where two drive are
just not compatible with each other. The one drive is a Maxtor what type
is the other?

--
Danny Kile
Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY

"Dogs come when they're called, CATS take a message and get back to
you." Mary Bly

Old November 13th 03, 03:35 PM
PC Gladiator

Is there anything else (CD or hard drive) on the secondary channel? If
there is, what are the jumpers set to on each of the devices?

Exactly what model of drive are you trying to install?

What OS are you running?

Old November 14th 03, 01:17 AM
Satpal Chadner

Danny Kile wrote in message ...
You may want to try to set the drive up so that it is the only drive in
the system. Primary/Master see if it is recognized then. Or try using
cable select. Sometimes you run into a situation where two drive are
just not compatible with each other. The one drive is a Maxtor what type
is the other?

Hi all,
Thanks for all the info and I have managed to get it working. I have a
feeling that there was loose connector (D'OH)

Thanks
satpal
Old November 14th 03, 08:32 AM
Pat Conover

Glad to help! I hate those loose connectors, they always seen to be the
last thing I try!

Pat Conover

Dell Dimesion XPS T450 nobody General 3 June 26th 04 12:30 AM
Is Dell P1110 21" monitor the same as Liyama S102GT 21" monitor? private person Homebuilt PC's 0 February 25th 04 04:56 PM
FYI - Letter Sent to Dell Tim S. Dell Computers 31 November 9th 03 08:01 AM
Dell Dimension XPS T450 - Upgrade advice sought. Mod General 1 July 7th 03 10:42 PM