Highend system... Will it fly? Any issues?

Old August 5th 04, 12:19 AM
Noozer

Default Highend system... Will it fly? Any issues?

Building a rather expensive system based on a dual Opteron mainboard and
want to know if there are any issues I should expect...

Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885
CPUs - (2) Opteron 242 retail
Memory - (4) 256meg DDR400 OCZ Registered ECC
Video - ATI Radeon 9800 All-in-Wonder PRO 128meg 8xAGP TVOut DVI
RAID card - Highpoint 1820A PCI-X 64bit 8port SATA RAID card
HDD - (1) 34gig WD Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA drive (for OS)
HDD - (9) 250gig Maxtor 7Y250M0 Sata drives (RAID 5 for data)
DVDRW - BenQ DW822A DVDRW
Floppy - 3.5" floppy
Case - Lian-Li V2000
PSU - Antec 550watt 24pin EATX power supply
Fans - 2x80mm 2x120mm

....any issues the the above configuration?

....also, does this mainboard REQUIRE Registered ECC memory? I've had
conflicting information about this.

Any comments are welcome.

Old August 5th 04, 12:47 AM
Cuzman

"Noozer" wrote in message

" HDD - (1) 34gig WD Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA drive (for OS)
HDD - (9) 250gig Maxtor 7Y250M0 Sata drives (RAID 5 for data) "

What are you using this system for, that you need 2.284 Terabytes of
storage? Are you set for a '25-to-life' stretch, and wish to record your
favourite soap...?

Old August 5th 04, 01:23 AM
Si

If you're going all out, you might want to re-think your graphics card
choice. Otherwise everything looks awesome. How do you fit 10 hard drive
into a case though? Take their hats off!! Sorry, wrong joke!

Cheers.

Si

--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.

Old August 5th 04, 04:12 AM
Noozer

"Si" wrote in message
If you're going all out, you might want to re-think your graphics card
choice. Otherwise everything looks awesome. How do you fit 10 hard drive
into a case though? Take their hats off!! Sorry, wrong joke!

The V2000 chassis has seven 5.25 bays and 12 3.5" bays.

http://www.lian-li.com/products/pcv2000.htm

....But it looks like a 256meg 9600XT is going to go in instead of a 128meg
9800 AIWPro ...

Anyone got any Doom3 benchmarks for the 256meg 9600XT and 128meg 9800AIWPro
I can compare?

Old August 5th 04, 06:05 AM
Si

Again I have to question your choice of graphics card. It seems to me that
you're shooting for the moon with this new system so why not go for one of
the new Georce 6800's or the Radeon X800's? I appreciate that finances may
be an issue here but if that is the case, I would be inclined to lose a few
hard drives for one of the above graphics cards. If, however, you're dead
set on keeping all the hard drives, then at least go for a GeForce 5900XT or
a 256MB 9800 Pro.

Cheers.

Si

Old August 5th 04, 08:47 AM
DevilsPGD

In message "Si"
wrote:

Again I have to question your choice of graphics card. It seems to me that
you're shooting for the moon with this new system so why not go for one of
the new Georce 6800's or the Radeon X800's? I appreciate that finances may
be an issue here but if that is the case, I would be inclined to lose a few
hard drives for one of the above graphics cards. If, however, you're dead
set on keeping all the hard drives, then at least go for a GeForce 5900XT or
a 256MB 9800 Pro.

It depends on what you're doing -- If you don't play games then the card
as described is probably more then sufficient for your average user.

--
#define QUESTION ((bb) || !(bb))
-- Shakespeare
Old August 5th 04, 01:23 PM
Noozer

"Si" wrote in message
Again I have to question your choice of graphics card. It seems to me that
you're shooting for the moon with this new system so why not go for one of
the new Georce 6800's or the Radeon X800's? I appreciate that finances may
be an issue here but if that is the case, I would be inclined to lose a

few
hard drives for one of the above graphics cards. If, however, you're dead
set on keeping all the hard drives, then at least go for a GeForce 5900XT

or
a 256MB 9800 Pro.

We're already over budget... Finally convinced him for at least a 256meg
9800 Pro.

There will be games, but that's not why the machine is being built.

I'm just hoping not to have problems running dual CPUs..

Old August 5th 04, 02:49 PM
~misfit~

Noozer wrote:
"Si" wrote in message
If you're going all out, you might want to re-think your graphics
card choice. Otherwise everything looks awesome. How do you fit 10
hard drive into a case though? Take their hats off!! Sorry, wrong
joke!

The V2000 chassis has seven 5.25 bays and 12 3.5" bays.

http://www.lian-li.com/products/pcv2000.htm

But how do you run them all? You said an 8-port SATA card. You gonna run the
other 250GB off the mobo, not as part of the RAID array?

The power supply could be a bit light, when the SATA card kicks in you're
going to have eight HDDs all spinning up at once. Have you checked the specs
to see what they pull on start-up?
--
~misfit~

Old August 5th 04, 02:50 PM
~misfit~

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "Si"
wrote:

Again I have to question your choice of graphics card. It seems to
me that you're shooting for the moon with this new system so why not
go for one of the new Georce 6800's or the Radeon X800's? I
appreciate that finances may be an issue here but if that is the
case, I would be inclined to lose a few hard drives for one of the
above graphics cards. If, however, you're dead set on keeping all
the hard drives, then at least go for a GeForce 5900XT or a 256MB
9800 Pro.

It depends on what you're doing -- If you don't play games then the
card as described is probably more then sufficient for your average
user.

He *did* ask about Doom 3........
--
~misfit~