Any idea on overclocking the geforce 4 MX 420?

Old October 6th 04, 07:32 AM
Kiran Kumar Kamineni

Default Any idea on overclocking the geforce 4 MX 420?

By how much can I overclock the Geforce 4 MX 420?
Anybody here has done any overclocking on this card?
What are the safe limits of operation that I can push the card to, with its
current fan and heatsink?

Old October 6th 04, 08:51 AM
Mangyrat

push the hell out of it. that way if it burns up you can get a new card
that will hold up better in todays games.
the best way i have found to safly overclock is to not overclock.

but if your dead set on it try it this way. bump it up slowly the mem and
the core. the first time you see anything funny on the screan and in a 3d
games or bench marks back it down atleast 5 to 10 mhz. and your probly safe.

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

Old October 6th 04, 04:22 PM
Chingy

Why you bother to overclokc this card man ffs it won't become 6800 ultra
xtreme :P

It will still get you 10 fps in doom.

Cheers
just live with it.

Old October 7th 04, 06:21 AM
Larry Roberts

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 01:22:45 +1000, "Chingy" wrote:

Why you bother to overclokc this card man ffs it won't become 6800 ultra
xtreme :P

It will still get you 10 fps in doom.

It could be doing time in a legacy Win9x system.
Old October 7th 04, 05:39 PM
Biz

"Larry Roberts" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 01:22:45 +1000, "Chingy" wrote:

Why you bother to overclokc this card man ffs it won't become 6800 ultra
xtreme :P

It will still get you 10 fps in doom.

It could be doing time in a legacy Win9x system.

And that changes what exactly? It doesnt matter what OS its in, it still
will not run any modern game at anything close to playable framerates, in
fact the MX series of cards were never meant to be gaming cards, they were
budget cards for non-gamers.

Old October 7th 04, 11:26 PM
Larry Roberts

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:39:04 GMT, "Biz" wrote:

"Larry Roberts" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 01:22:45 +1000, "Chingy" wrote:

Why you bother to overclokc this card man ffs it won't become 6800 ultra
xtreme :P

It will still get you 10 fps in doom.

It could be doing time in a legacy Win9x system.

And that changes what exactly? It doesnt matter what OS its in, it still
will not run any modern game at anything close to playable framerates, in
fact the MX series of cards were never meant to be gaming cards, they were
budget cards for non-gamers.

Older games that don't work under Win 2k/XP. I have a whole
pile of Jane's Flight sims here that refuse to function properly, or
function at all under WinXP. These games would run on an MX card, and
could benifit from an overclock of that MX card.
Old October 8th 04, 12:07 AM
CapFusion

Use Notepad and copy this below and name coolbit.reg -
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"CoolBits"=dword:00000003

Click on to add this to your windows registry.
Goto your Display Properties Setting Advanced GeForce [tab] Look
for Clock Freqencies
Adjust your Core and or Mem fequency slow until your PC coming unstable.
Lower it down and or re-adjust to that level.

Check on "Apply these setting at startup" after you feel the setting you
want is OK and Stable.

Suggestion - OC MX card is pointless IMHO. That including or apply to any
type of simulation game [legacy or not]

CapFusion,...

Old October 8th 04, 12:24 PM
Larry Roberts

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 16:07:02 -0700, "CapFusion"
wrote:

Use Notepad and copy this below and name coolbit.reg -
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"CoolBits"=dword:00000003

Click on to add this to your windows registry.
Goto your Display Properties Setting Advanced GeForce [tab] Look
for Clock Freqencies
Adjust your Core and or Mem fequency slow until your PC coming unstable.
Lower it down and or re-adjust to that level.

Check on "Apply these setting at startup" after you feel the setting you
want is OK and Stable.

Suggestion - OC MX card is pointless IMHO. That including or apply to any
type of simulation game [legacy or not]

CapFusion,...

I'm sure the original poster will find this info. helpful as
my legacy Win9x system uses my old GeForce 3 Ti200, while my legacy
DOS Pentium 100Mhz system uses an old TnT2 M64 card. Both these ards
work great in these systems.

Thanks.