Upgrade from GF4 MX420 to FX5200

Old July 9th 04, 06:45 PM
GLYTCH \(A.K.A. PYRO-Maniak\)

Default Upgrade from GF4 MX420 to FX5200

Hi all.

I have the oppertunity to buy my friends GeForce FX5200 from his as he is
upgrading. I offered him £20 for it and he accepted.

Now i currently have a GeForce 4 MX420 in my PC, and yes before you say it i
know its a pile of crap.

My PC specs are P4 3GHz, 1GB DDR400 Dual Channel, Intel D865PERL Motherboard

I have read many good things and many bad things about the 5200. But would
you say it was a good upgrade from my lowly POS MX420? Am i going to regret
it? Admittedly i have my MX420 OCd just to be able to run some games with a
playable frame rate (Postal 2 for example). The 5200 would be a HUGE
improvement right?

Thanks for any advice and oppinions

Matt
--
Collection: http://users.ign.com/collection/GLYTCH_2K4
MSN: GLYTCH_2K4(at)msn.com

Old July 9th 04, 07:52 PM
CapFusion

"GLYTCH (A.K.A. PYRO-Maniak)" wrote in message
Hi all.

I have the oppertunity to buy my friends GeForce FX5200 from his as he is
upgrading. I offered him £20 for it and he accepted.

Now i currently have a GeForce 4 MX420 in my PC, and yes before you say it

know its a pile of crap.

My PC specs are P4 3GHz, 1GB DDR400 Dual Channel, Intel D865PERL

Motherboard

I have read many good things and many bad things about the 5200. But would
you say it was a good upgrade from my lowly POS MX420? Am i going to

regret
it? Admittedly i have my MX420 OCd just to be able to run some games with

playable frame rate (Postal 2 for example). The 5200 would be a HUGE
improvement right?

Thanks for any advice and oppinions

MHO:
FX5200 = GF2 MX series
Postal 2 can be play but as enjoyable, you will need to try it and see for
yourself.
I do not recommend it. I see FX5200 card as a typical general office use and
occasionally small non intensive 3D / low frame rate game.

Intel D865PERL is a good MoBo and foundation. You need FX5700 or better
[nvidia version] / 9800 or better [ATi version]. You going to drag it down
by putting in FX5200 series.

CapFusion,...

Old July 9th 04, 08:07 PM
deimos

GLYTCH (A.K.A. PYRO-Maniak) wrote:
Hi all.

I have the oppertunity to buy my friends GeForce FX5200 from his as he is
upgrading. I offered him £20 for it and he accepted.

Now i currently have a GeForce 4 MX420 in my PC, and yes before you say it i
know its a pile of crap.

My PC specs are P4 3GHz, 1GB DDR400 Dual Channel, Intel D865PERL Motherboard

I have read many good things and many bad things about the 5200. But would
you say it was a good upgrade from my lowly POS MX420? Am i going to regret
it? Admittedly i have my MX420 OCd just to be able to run some games with a
playable frame rate (Postal 2 for example). The 5200 would be a HUGE
improvement right?

Thanks for any advice and oppinions

Matt

Any real card is going to give you massively better performance than an
MX. Even the not-so-great 5200 will do far better than a MX420. But
with your kind of rig, I would highly recommned getting something like
at least a FX5900 or in the best case, a GF6-6800/GT when you get the
cash. Anything less than a 5900 is a total waste of your system.

The 5200 will be a lot faster than the MX, but you're still going to
find it way undepowered playing games like Battlefield Vietnam and any
newer DX9 game. Stick to 1024x768x32 resolution and try leaving off
FSAA settings. Anistropic filtering will perform pretty well on older
games, but leave it off in new ones.

Since Postal 2 uses a version of the Unreal engine from somwhere between
Unreal Warfare and UT2003, you should get great performance, as it is
highly CPU dependent.
Old July 9th 04, 09:31 PM
Biz

Little to no improvement in speed, but you are adding DX9 hardware support.
The FX5200 is the absolute bottom of teh FX series, the GF4 MX420 was teh
absolute bottom of the GF4 series. If you think your card is a lowly POS,
then your opinion of the 5200 will be close to the same.

Old July 9th 04, 10:39 PM
Jizzmaster

Really, all youll be doing is adding DX9 capability to your system. both cards are about the same spec wise. And really, all the DX9 games out on the market require a pretty hefty machine to run them. But, for that price i'd do it. Just my 2 cents.

Dave

Old July 9th 04, 11:08 PM
Raj

What! lol he's getting a performance par with a geforce 3, he will notice a
upgrade from the gf 4 m 420 (same has a gf 2 mx 400)! its worth the upgrade
(get counter strike runnin at 99 fps

Old July 9th 04, 11:27 PM
Augustus

"Raj" wrote in message
news
What! lol he's getting a performance par with a geforce 3, he will notice

upgrade from the gf 4 m 420 (same has a gf 2 mx 400)! its worth the

upgrade
(get counter strike runnin at 99 fps

An plain FX5200 is nowhere near the equal of a Geforce3 card. The ultra is,
but I really doubt this is an ultra. Like others have said, he's basically
got a Geforce2 with DX9 support.

Old July 10th 04, 02:23 PM
GLYTCH \(A.K.A. PYRO-Maniak\)

CapFusion wrote:
MHO:
FX5200 = GF2 MX series
Postal 2 can be play but as enjoyable, you will need to try it and
see for yourself.
I do not recommend it. I see FX5200 card as a typical general office
use and occasionally small non intensive 3D / low frame rate game.

Intel D865PERL is a good MoBo and foundation. You need FX5700 or
better [nvidia version] / 9800 or better [ATi version]. You going to
drag it down by putting in FX5200 series.

CapFusion,...

but surly im dragging it down further with my current card? as its not even
AGP 8X compatable, nor DX8 or DX9. 5200 gotta be better than GF4 420MX? cant
surely be worse as you suggest? right???

as for getting a 5700 or above, yes thats all well and good and in an ideal
world id get a 6800 or X800Pro, but i cant afford it. I have this
oppertunity of a 5200 for £20 thats all.

Matt

Old July 10th 04, 02:40 PM
GLYTCH \(A.K.A. PYRO-Maniak\)

deimos wrote:
Any real card is going to give you massively better performance than
an MX. Even the not-so-great 5200 will do far better than a MX420.
But with your kind of rig, I would highly recommned getting something
like at least a FX5900 or in the best case, a GF6-6800/GT when you
get the cash. Anything less than a 5900 is a total waste of your
system.

The 5200 will be a lot faster than the MX, but you're still going to
find it way undepowered playing games like Battlefield Vietnam and any
newer DX9 game. Stick to 1024x768x32 resolution and try leaving off
FSAA settings. Anistropic filtering will perform pretty well on older
games, but leave it off in new ones.

Since Postal 2 uses a version of the Unreal engine from somwhere
between Unreal Warfare and UT2003, you should get great performance,
as it is highly CPU dependent.

Agreed the rest of my rig is pretty damn good IMO and to put a low end
component is only limiting its potential. Unfortunatly i dont have £300 or
so to spend on a graphics card, so no 5900 etc etc for me. I only upgrade my
graphics cards when my mates do really, i upgraded to the GF4 i currently
have from a GF2 as a mate was selling it, same for the current situation.

To be honest i dont play a whole lot of PC games, but i certainly would like
DX9 support. Just to make my current games play better and the opertunity to
play some new games (Far Cry hopefully lol) half decently would be good.

More of a console gamer myself, about the more "hardcore" PC games i have
(graphics wise) are Postal 2 and C&C Generals. Other than that i just play
GTA3 and GTA:VC every now and then, so nothing too straining. My current
card handles the GTA games alright ish (although im no purist but the
framerate is playable now i have the card OC'd).

1024x768x32 is what i run all the time anyway so no worries there. As for
FSAA & anistropic etc i hardly have the power to be able to utilise them at
the moment, so not using them in the future wouldnt be a major loss. Of
course if i can run them then great.

So anyway for £20 its worth it yeah? While my current card is a POS, it
couldnt get much worse, could it?

Matt

Old July 10th 04, 02:41 PM
GLYTCH \(A.K.A. PYRO-Maniak\)

Biz wrote:
Little to no improvement in speed, but you are adding DX9 hardware
support. The FX5200 is the absolute bottom of teh FX series, the GF4
MX420 was teh absolute bottom of the GF4 series. If you think your
card is a lowly POS, then your opinion of the 5200 will be close to
the same.

Where is the evidence to back these claims up? Is it not even worth it for
£20 for an upgrade?

Matt