Expert Advice on Removing nView Applet from Control Panel

Old December 13th 03, 12:09 PM
JD

Default Expert Advice on Removing nView Applet from Control Panel

Having experienced frequent error messages after installing NVIDIA's nView
Desktop Organizer (automatically installed with a driver update), I
uninstalled it and replaced the original drivers from the (Gateway) OEM
restore disk.
No more "Windows has recoverd from a serious error" and "A device driver
caused the error" messages.
The NVIDIA folder was removed from C:\Programs.
However, the nView applet remains in the Control Panel.
It opens with a double click. The "Enable nView" box is unchecked.
There is also a Run line in the registry for the nView applet.
Shouldn't it have been removed from the Control Panel with the uninstall?
If I wanted to remove it, would a simple "Delete" be safe?
Would it go to the Recycle Bin and be available for restore if necessary?
And should the Run line in the registry also be removed?
What would an "expert" do?

Old December 13th 03, 06:21 PM
Derek Wildstar

"JD" wrote in message
news

What would an "expert" do?

He would ask others how to do precisely what he wanted to do, focusing on
the desired end result. If he did not understand the instructions or how it
fit into his desired end result, he'd keep asking until he understood the
process, becoming 'expert' in the process.

In your case, I would recommend the simplest solution, since you clearly
have a non-virgin system. (Adding, removing, adding...) In the future, for
maximum reliability, you will have to fully purge your system of obsolete
driver debris. For now look for the file: nvtuicpl.cpl you might have it
with other .cpl files in the C:\windows{version}\system32\ directory. If
that is not the file in question, I suspect it's something very similarly
named.

You can safely delete .cpl files, these are what are read to generate the
icon choices when the control panel is opened. AFA the registry entry, if it
points to the control panel icon or file, ignore it for now, and when you
have the time and inclination, invest in a registry cleaner, and carefully
prune that which is no longer useful.

Old December 13th 03, 09:31 PM
JD

There are three of those files in WINNT, all dated April 2, 2003, the same
date as the currently installed (OEM) video driver set. My insticts tell me
to leave them alone.

Old December 13th 03, 11:04 PM
Derek Wildstar

"JD" wrote in message

There are three of those files in WINNT, all dated April 2, 2003, the same
date as the currently installed (OEM) video driver set. My insticts tell

me
to leave them alone.

My expert advice to you is to move those files to a new directory c:\foo,
then reboot your system.

If you detect nothing anomlaous but for the now missing control panel icon,
you may safely conclude that was their design.
However, if some unexpected or unwanted action occurs, you can re-copy those
files to their original location and pursue other solutions.