Geforce 5900 vs. Radeon 9700 PRO?

Old September 1st 03, 10:00 PM
MheAd

Default Geforce 5900 vs. Radeon 9700 PRO?

Hello!

I'm wondering which card
Geforce 5900 (note: NOT "Ultra" version!)
or Radeon 9700 PRO
is supposed to be faster?

I'm intending to use the graph. card mostly for gaming.

Thanks in advance!
MheAd\

Old September 2nd 03, 03:23 AM
7oast3dProfessor

Faster? for the most part nVIDIA's cards are almost always clocked faster
than thier ATI counterparts. As for benchmark work I would still recommend
the 5900 if you have the cash for it.

Old September 2nd 03, 09:47 AM
[D.A]!@#Bourne

GO GET A 9800 Pro or Non Pro . use choice. even a 9700 pro works wonders.
its about the same price as 5900 but its kick ass. my friend has one and man
i envy his pc. i am waiting for some cash so i can rig up my new pc and get
an ATI card. Nvidia needs to sort out their driver problems. i was an Nvidia
lover till i got an ati mobility chip on my laptop. trust me it kicks ass
for a 32 mb card. i get excited just thinkin about the deeds that the 9800
and 9700 would do. my sister has a geforce 2 pci card and its totally ****.
i just changed it to ati 7000 64 mb and the fps in counterstrike never
dropped below 60 . nvidia cards are good but the software support isnt as
ellaborate as ATI.

--
[D.A.]!@#Bourne

Old September 2nd 03, 10:15 AM
John Lewis

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 08:47:29 GMT, "[D.A]!@#Bourne"
wrote:

GO GET A 9800 Pro or Non Pro . use choice. even a 9700 pro works wonders.
its about the same price as 5900 but its kick ass. my friend has one and man
i envy his pc. i am waiting for some cash so i can rig up my new pc and get
an ATI card. Nvidia needs to sort out their driver problems. i was an Nvidia
lover till i got an ati mobility chip on my laptop. trust me it kicks ass
for a 32 mb card. i get excited just thinkin about the deeds that the 9800
and 9700 would do. my sister has a geforce 2 pci card and its totally ****.
i just changed it to ati 7000 64 mb and the fps in counterstrike never
dropped below 60 . nvidia cards are good but the software support isnt as
ellaborate as ATI.

There must be a troll under the bridge............

I just bought a eVGA FX 5900 128 Meg for $250 @ www.gameve.com.
It replaced a FX5200 which I was temporarily using until the 5900
prices tumbled. Using the 45.23 drivers, I didn't notice any problems
whatsoever with all of my favorite games. The fan is nicely quiet, and
I do like the FX5900 on-chip temperature-monitoring; no worries
about inadvertently over-stressing the silicon when overclocking.

The GF2 is a little long in the tooth for any modern games.

Enjoy the bi-weekly ATi Catalyst driver releases. Sure is
ellaborate (sic). Let me know when ATi finally get the shadows
right on Jedi Knight 2..............

John Lewis

Old September 2nd 03, 07:48 PM
YanquiDawg

The 5900 is faster than the ATI 9700 pro. It's not quite as fast as a 9800 pro
though except in a few parts of benchmarks. Image quality is great.

Old September 2nd 03, 10:14 PM
ginfest

****.
i just changed it to ati 7000 64 mb and the fps in counterstrike never
dropped below 60 . nvidia cards are good but the software support isnt as
ellaborate as ATI.

Another 12 year old?
dumba**

---

Old September 2nd 03, 11:18 PM
Courseyauto

"[D.A]!@#Bourne" wrote in message
[...]

You think he's that old?
Old September 3rd 03, 02:57 AM
Lester Piglet

I've just installed a 9700 pro and it's giving me nothing but grief, keeps
losing drivers and generally f**king about.
If it's not sorted shortly I'm going back to my 4200.
Bloody ATI. My last attempt at going to ATI was a rage fury maxx.What a
laugh that was. Needless to say I didn't have it a week when I went to the
GF1 DDR, 1000 times better. Do you have to be a special guru or something to
get these to work properly?

Old September 3rd 03, 07:54 AM
mike

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 02:57:23 +0100, "Lester Piglet"
wrote:

I've just installed a 9700 pro and it's giving me nothing but grief, keeps
losing drivers and generally f**king about.
If it's not sorted shortly I'm going back to my 4200.
Bloody ATI. My last attempt at going to ATI was a rage fury maxx.What a
laugh that was. Needless to say I didn't have it a week when I went to the
GF1 DDR, 1000 times better. Do you have to be a special guru or something to
get these to work properly?

Oh I don't know, I installed mine.... works like a champ. If you are
unhappy with your 9700 Pro I'd be more than happy to give it a good
home...
Old September 3rd 03, 09:17 AM
J.Clarke

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 21:57:22 +1000
"Ronald Weaver" wrote:

"Nvidia needs to sort out their driver problems. i was an Nvidia
lover till i got an ati mobility chip on my laptop."

LMFAO.......You want to make me believe ATI has better drivers. ?
lol u gotta be 12 yrs old, then if this is your opinion.

Neither is perfect. The current nvidia drivers seem to be having
trouble with the Doom3 alpha for example, while the current ATI drivers
seem to be acting up with FS2004--there are other games that one or the
other will not run or will not run well, I picked those two off the top
of my head. If there's a specific program you need to run check and make
sure that nobody's reporting problems with it with the board you are
looking at before you spend money.

If you think that _any_ software product is perfect then you must be 6
years old.

LOL

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)