Refresh rate stuck to 50Hz after using TV-out

Old August 26th 04, 06:41 PM
Saku S

Default Refresh rate stuck to 50Hz after using TV-out

Argh I'm going insane with this problem soon. I have a Radeon 9600XT and
I tested out it's TV-out connection. Now I have TV-out disabled and
there's no cable attached to it. Ever since trying it out, I only have
50Hz refresh rate (I know the exact rate due to my monitor's OSD showing
it) in text mode (booting up my computer, BIOS, Linux in console mode
etc) and even in some graphical modes (loading screen of Windows XP,
framebuffer graphics in Linux). Once Windows starts up or I start X in
Linux, the refresh rate get's adjusted to what I've set it in these
enviroments. But how do I fix it in text mode? It's really getting
annoying and my head is killing me because of that awful flicker. Oh how
I wish I'd see "restore factory settings" button in the ATI control panel...

I've tried to look everywhere for this problem but can't find anything
about it, does anyone know what's going on and how to fix it? If not I
guess I'll have to try if I can get someone from ATI to answer me :I

-sakus
Old August 26th 04, 07:38 PM
Tony DiMarzio

I had posted a similar problem with my 9800pro. Google for it or just search
through this NG - it's there.. probably from late '03 or early '04. I never
found a resolution to the problem except but to stop using the tv-out. Now,
since you've stopped using the tv-out and are still having the problem, I'd
make sure that the tv-out cable is disconnected from the TV-OUT. Also, turn
off the power to the PC, unplug from AC source, and let it sit for a few
minutes (not sure exactly how long it takes for the charge to exit
completely) so that the radeon's registers can reset to hardware defaults.
That should do it... let me know.

--
Tony DiMarzio

Old August 28th 04, 09:09 AM
Saku S

Tony DiMarzio wrote:
Also, turn
off the power to the PC, unplug from AC source, and let it sit for a few
minutes (not sure exactly how long it takes for the charge to exit
completely) so that the radeon's registers can reset to hardware defaults.
That should do it... let me know.

I tried this, but no help. Dunno if I didn't wait long enough or
something though. I also tried the card in another PC, and the problem
was still there. Also, I contacted Club3D's (it's their card) customer
support but they didn't seem to have any new ideas (told me to
re-install the drivers, etc).

Oh yeah, and there's a jumper on the card that lets you choose between
PAL and NTSC for the the TV-OUT. I remember reading somewhere that PAL
is 50Hz, NTSC 60Hz.. so I tried to change the jumper to NTSC so that the
refresh rate I get in text mode would also get set to 60Hz - but no.

The way I see this, I got two options in the future when it's time to
buy a new gfx card. 1, don't buy an ATI. 2, buy an ATI but NEVER EVER
touch the god damned TV-OUT!

-sakus
Old August 28th 04, 10:07 AM
Vellu

Odd problem, which TV-out mode are you using? Clone/Secondary? I'm using
clone, and my monitor refresh doesn't change at all, regardless of tv-out
cable being plugged in or not. I do have 'refresh rate override' enabled in
monitor settings, but that has to be on anyway (because of winxp's dumbass
way of setting refresh rates). Can you set the override to what ever you
require (mine is set to 85Hz)? (setting is in CAT-Display-Monitor)

Old August 28th 04, 12:18 PM
Saku S

Vellu wrote:
Odd problem, which TV-out mode are you using? Clone/Secondary? I'm using
clone, and my monitor refresh doesn't change at all, regardless of tv-out
cable being plugged in or not. I do have 'refresh rate override' enabled in
monitor settings, but that has to be on anyway (because of winxp's dumbass
way of setting refresh rates). Can you set the override to what ever you
require (mine is set to 85Hz)? (setting is in CAT-Display-Monitor)

I'm not using any TV-OUT mode, not anymore, it's all disabled. I don't
remember which one I used when I tried it. My refresh rate override is
set, and as I stated earlier, when I'm booted to Windows, my refresh
rate is correct (I use 75Hz) but it's 50Hz before Windows starts, before
the driver gets loaded.

The same thing in Linux. Once I start X, and the driver gets loaded, the
refresh rate goes to 75Hz which I've set it to. But before that, it's
50Hz, making it impossible to use Linux in console mode..

-sakus
Old August 28th 04, 01:09 PM
Tony DiMarzio

Ok now... are you sure that it wasn't doing 50hz even before you tried the
tv-out? meaning when you put the card in the machine for the first time.

If you are sure that it was doing closer to 70hz the first time you used..
then there has to be a way to get it back to that state. take the card out
of the machine and examine it for any CMOS clear jumpers. Unplug the PC for
about 15 minutes too.

--
Tony DiMarzio

Old August 28th 04, 01:25 PM
Saku S

Tony DiMarzio wrote:
Ok now... are you sure that it wasn't doing 50hz even before you tried the
tv-out? meaning when you put the card in the machine for the first time.

If you are sure that it was doing closer to 70hz the first time you used..
then there has to be a way to get it back to that state. take the card out
of the machine and examine it for any CMOS clear jumpers. Unplug the PC for
about 15 minutes too.

Yup it was OK before touching the TV-OUT. First, it is cealrly visible
how much the screen flickers now, it can't be looked at for long. Also,
it's a screen mode that I haven't confiugured in my monitor, thus the
screen is "off" quite a lot.. it's not stretched to the limits and it's
not even in the center of the screen.

And I agree.. there HAS to be a way to get it back to normal. The card
doesn't have any CMOS clear jumpers, already checked that when I took
the card out to test it in another PC. Also Club 3D support told me
there's no way to "reset the card". The only thing left to try is to
keep the PC unplugged for longer than I already did, I'll have to try
that. Maybe even leave it unplugged for the night or something.

I have a distinct feeling that I've had this same problem before, with
my previous ATI card which was a Radeon 9000 pro.. I have that card in
another PC now, and it works correctly. I have no idea what I might've
done to get it working again.

-sakus
Old August 30th 04, 02:55 AM
Tony DiMarzio

I feel your pain - this is a mysterious and notoriously hard to fix hardware
bug.

Something you might want to try to reset the card to it's factory state is
to reflash the card's BIOS. Look up a few threads for a link to the site
which archives the BIOS's and hosts the flashing util.

"Saku S" wrote in message
news

Old August 31st 04, 12:38 PM
Saku S

Tony DiMarzio wrote:
I feel your pain - this is a mysterious and notoriously hard to fix hardware
bug.

Something you might want to try to reset the card to it's factory state is
to reflash the card's BIOS. Look up a few threads for a link to the site
which archives the BIOS's and hosts the flashing util.

Ah I didn't even think of this myself. I tried and no.. no help. First I
flashed it with an original bios for this card I got from the net. When
this didn't do anything, I flashed it with a custom bios that has the
tv-out completely disabled - still no help. I'm starting to think
there's something seriously wrong with this damn card.. I don't think
the warranty has expired yet but then again I'm not so sure this problem
is enough for them to give me a new card.. besides, I don't think
they're too happy to notice I've been flashing the bios

Oh well.. I'll just try to get by. I don't need text mode THAT bad, but
it would be nice to be able to look at it without getting a head ache
and running eyes when I do need it.

Thanks for trying to help!

-sakus
Old August 31st 04, 03:13 PM
Tony DiMarzio

Not a problem at all. Personally, I would try to return the card though.
There's no reason a $20 PCI vid card should outperform your Radeon in
driverless environments.

It's so unacceptable that I'm ****ed for you!

Ah well... I pretty much did the same thing though. Just accepted my 58hz
fate and moved on with life

--
Tony DiMarzio