Microtek scanner made my PC unusable.

Old June 19th 04, 05:48 PM
Robert Clark

Default Microtek scanner made my PC unusable.

I had a Microtek Slimscan C3 scanner that used to be attached to a
Windows 98 system. I wanted to connect it to a Windows 2000 system. I
asked Microtek about some cable connection issues (USB vs. parallel).
Unfortunately, I forgot to mention that I was moving it from a Windows
98 machine to a Windows 2000 machine. I took their advice and
installed the software. Now my Windows 2000 system is pretty much
nonfunctional: it goes very, very slowly. It takes an hour or more
simply to boot-up. Simple operations like opening windows or executing
commands take similar long times or longer.
Here's what I wrote Microtek after I had this problem on installing
their softwa

Ack! I realize now I should have been more specific.
When I said the scanner worked fine, I meant it worked
on another computer that was running Windows 98.
However, I wanted to connect it to a computer running
Windows 2000 Profesional. When I installed the
software this computer got hung up. More precisely, it
is now running very, very slowly. I looked online and
find out you need a new driver for Windows 2000.
What I tried to do is uninstall the software for the
scanner but the computer is going so slowly, I can't
even go through the process of removing software in
Windows: it gets to the "Add/Remove software" window
and just seems to hang there, not listing the
available software for removal.
I also tried using the "last good configuration"
function but that option did not pop up when I did a
Restart.
Do you think it would work to install the new driver
at this stage? If so, to what directory? I'm not sure
I could even install it. It would require getting the
computer to read from the floppy disk drive: the
computer is going so slowly I don't think it could
download from the internet.

They gave me some advice about how to uninstall which I followed but
it is still running very, very slowly:

Thanks for the response. I followed your instructions
closely except for installing the new driver, since I
wanted to just uninstall the scanner software. But the
computer is still running very, very slowly.
Installing the new driver would be very difficult
since I can not use an IE browser window. The window
just hangs there with no data downloaded when I
attempt to open one.
I noticed that when I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up
the Task Manager window and clicked the processes tab,
that the CPU usage was at 100% usage even when I had
no windows open or apparent programs running.
Apparently, there is some process running in the
background that is using up the CPU resources. I don't
know what that can be. I presume it is related to the
installation of the software for the scanner since the
problem started then.
Any ideas?

Bob Clark

=======================================

So any ideas how to solve this?

Bob C.
Old June 19th 04, 08:11 PM
AS

Reboot in safe mode and remove the scanner drivers.

Old June 20th 04, 09:07 PM
Robert Clark

"AS" wrote in message ...
Reboot in safe mode and remove the scanner drivers.

So any ideas how to solve this?

Bob C.

This didn't work.

Bob C.
Old June 21st 04, 09:59 PM
CSM1

"Robert Clark" wrote in message
om...
"AS" wrote in message

Reboot in safe mode and remove the scanner drivers.

So any ideas how to solve this?

Bob C.

This didn't work.

Bob C.

Are you sure that you got ALL of the files and the Registry entries?

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old June 22nd 04, 07:14 PM
Robert Clark

"AS" wrote in message

Reboot in safe mode and remove the scanner drivers.

So any ideas how to solve this?

Bob C.

This didn't work.

Bob C.

Are you sure that you got ALL of the files and the Registry entries?

Here are the instructions I received which I followed:

Dear Robert,

Below are the instructions to try uninstalling the driver in
Safe Mode.

Note: For Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000 & XP. You will need to tap the F8
key during the boot-up process in to command Windows to display the
Windows
Start Up Menu.

Tip: tap the F8 key 2 times per second and begin the tapping 4
seconds
after you have started your computer from a cold boot. This will bring
the Windows Start Up Menu where you will need to select option number
3 or
the SAFE MODE option and press enter on your keyboard.

1. Uninstalling and cleaning out the entire ScanWizard 5 driver files
from your computer.

Note: During the uninstall process in step "1a", you may get a notice
in a popup menu that reads, " Do you want to delete shared files".
Click on
the Yes To All button and then continue to step 1b.

a. From your computers Desktop click on the Start button. Then
go to Programs and you will notice Programs roll down appear. From
the
Programs roll down select Microtek ScanWizard 5 for Windows. From the
ScanWizard 5 for Windows roll down menu select and click on the option
to Uninstall Microtek ScanWizard 5 for Windows. You will notice an
Uninstall Shield splash on your monitor and it will display all the
files that it will
uninstall.

Note: For Windows, 2000 & XP. You will need to skip step "b" through
"e" and go directly to step f.

b. Close the Uninstall shield once it has completed the
uninstallation of ScanWizard and return to your Desktop. From the
Desktop click on the
Start button. Then go to Search or Find. A roll down menu will
display for Search or Find, where you will select and click on Files
or
Folders. This will in turn open a window named Search or Find Results
where you need to locate a field called NAMED. In the named field
type
the file name TWAIN and make sure to select the C:\ Drive in the Look
In
field. Then click the Search or Find button.

c. Once your computer has finished searching the C:\ for all
files with the name TWAIN. You will need to delete all files with the
file
name TWAIN located in the [C:\Windows] directory ONLY. Do not delete
TWAIN
files located in any other directory including any sub directories of
C:\Windows\.

d. After deleting the TWAIN files in the C:\Windows directory; we
will perform a new search. Therefore click inside of the named field
and
delete the word TWAIN and type in a new file name TWUNK. Then click
the
Search or Find button. Once your computer has finished searching the
C:\ for all files with the name TWUNK. You will need to delete all
files with the
file name TWUNK located in the [C:\Windows] directory ONLY. Do not
delete
TWUNK files located in any other directory including any sub
directories of
C:\Windows\.

e. After deleting the TWUNK files in the C:\Windows directory;
we
will perform a new search. Therefore click inside of the named field
and delete the word TWUNK and type in a new file named MICROTEK. Make
sure
that you type in C:\ in the look in field. Then click the Search or
Find
button.

f. From your computers the Desktop click on the Start button.
Then go to Search or Find a roll down menu will display for Search or
Find,
where you will select and click on Files or Folders. This will in
turn
open a window named Search or Find Results where you need to locate a
field called NAMED. In the named field type the file name Microtek
and make
sure to select the C:\ Drive in the Look In field. Then click the
Search or
Find button. Once your computer has finished searching the C:\ for all
files with the name MICROTEK. You will need to delete a folder with
the file name MICROTEK located in the C:\ directory ONLY. Do not
delete
MICROTEK files or folders located in any other directory including any
sub directories of C:\. Return to the Desktop once procedure has been
completed.

Note: If the computer does not find a Microtek folder in the C:\
directory just go ahead and close the search window and return to the
computer's Desktop.

Once you have un-installed the driver , restart the computer in
Regular
mode to download the driver from our web site.

2. Downloading the ScanWizard Driver from the Microtek Support Site.

Note: Please make sure that you download only the corresponding
driver
to your scanner. Installing a driver other than the driver
recommended by
Microtek or Microtek technicians can result in the improper function
and or corruption of the scanner driver installation.

a. From the Microtek home page, click on Driver Downloads. If you
are not at the Microtek web site click on the following link,
http://www.support.microtek.com/driver_download.phtml and then go to
step "b".

Note: The following page offers to "Find Drivers" by Product Category
or by Model Name. For purposes of this step-by-step guide we will
continue
by selecting the option to Find Driver by Product Category.

b. Open the roll down menu under the "By Product Category" field
and select "Discontinued Products".

Note: It is very important that you select the correct Microtek
scanner. Selecting a model other than the one you currently own can
result in a download of the wrong driver. If you do not know the
scanner
model you currently own please locate the scanner model number label
on your
scanner and contact Microtek Customer Service at 310-687-5940 or email
with that
information. Customer Service representatives will help you in
determining what model Scanner you own.

c. This will bring you to Step 2 where you will select the
scanner
model from the roll down menu.

d. Make sure to select the current Operating System installed on
your computer from the list of operating systems category in Step 3.
Once
you have made your OS selection press the GO button just below the OS
menu.

e. Locate and select your Internet connection speed type in the
driver
downloads window and then press the GO button to continue.

f. Under the Description category you will see a description of
the latest driver and update software for your scanner model. Click
on the
File or Files link just to the right of the file description menu, to
begin the download process of the latest scanner driver and driver
extras
software.

g. A File Download window will splash on your monitor prompting
you to select whether you want to save the driver files or run from
the
current location. We recommend that you save to your computer. Click
the Save
button to continue.

h. Now a Save As window will splash, select the Desktop from the
roll down menu in the Save In field.

i. Next click on the "Create New Folder Icon" just to the right
of the Save In field. The icon is an image of a yellow folder with a
yellow asterisk on the upper right hand corner of the icon.

j. A new folder will splash in the Save As window with a prompt
that will allow you to rename the folder from "new folder" to
"ScanWizard
Driver".

k. Once you have renamed the folder ScanWizard Driver double
click
on it.

l. Notice that the folder named ScanWizard Driver is now in the
save in field. When this has happened click the Save button at the
lower
right side of the Save As window and the files will begin to download
to the
ScanWizard Driver folder.

Note: Follow the same procedure for all files that you are required
download.

m. Once you have downloaded all digital files to the ScanWizard
Driver folder on your Desktop, we will need to reboot your computer in
safe
mode on more time..

Note: For Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000 & XP. You will need to tap the F8
key during the boot-up process in to command Windows to display the
Windows
Start Up Menu.

Tip: tap the F8 key 2 times per second and begin the tapping 4
seconds
after you have started your computer from a cold boot. This will bring
the Windows Start Up Menu where you will need to select option number
3 or
the SAFE MODE option and press enter on your keyboard.

3. Unzipping Downloaded Files From ScanWizard Driver Folder

a. You will now need to unzip the files you downloaded to the
ScanWizard Driver folder on your Desktop. The files should be
unzipped
while the computer is running in safe mode. Click on each one of the
files you downloaded and you will see window splash that will ask if
you want
to unzip the files.

Note: Make a note of the directory that the WinZip extractor program
will use to extract the driver files. Usually it is in a folder in
the C:\
drive.

b. Click the unzip button and the computer will unzip the
files
to C:\ sw260 directory. Repeat the same step for all files that were
downloaded. Once all files have been unzipped the files are ready to
be installed to your computer.

4. Installing The Unzipped Scanner Driver Files

Important Note: Please make sure that your scanner cable is
disconnected from your computer prior to installation of the
ScanWizard driver.

a. From the Desktop locate the My Computer icon and double click
on the icon. A screen called My Computer will splash on the monitor.

b. Look for the C:/ drive and double click.

c. Locate the sw260 folder with the extracted scanner driver
files and double click on the folder.

d. Inside the sw260 folder you will find one or more file
folders. The SETUP icon will be located in the first file folder.
You
will need to double click on the Disk 1 folder.

e. Inside of the Disk 1 folder, you will find several more
icons,
one of which will be identified as a SETUP.EXE or just SETUP. The
important thing is that it looks like a picture of a monitor with a
blue screen and it has an open floppy box in front of it. When you
find the Setup icon double click on it. This will begin your
ScanWizard installation in
safe mode.

f. Follow the installation wizard instructions on the monitor.

Note: A message will appear on your screen asking you "Do you want to
test the unit?" At this point Connect your scanner cable to your
computer
and make sure that your scanner is on and ready. Then Click "NO" to
continue. Your computer will automatically reboot into normal mode
once the computer is restarted.

5. Testing The Scanner

a. Once you have booted to the Desktop, test the scanner by going
to STARTPROGRAMSMicrotek ScanWizard for WindowsScanner Test.

b. A Scanner Test Window will splash on your monitor, click on
the flat bed icon once.

c. This will activate the scanner test function. The scanner
will then perform a rough draft scan of your image.

Note: If the scanner passes this test then you have successfully
installed your scanner driver software.

Thank you for using . We hope we have
answered your questions and have resolved any troubleshooting issues.
If you
have more questions or need further instruction, you may visit our web
site
at
www.support.microtek.com or send a blank email to our automated
email
responder at . If you require live
technical support you can call our technical consultants at
310-687-5800 from 7am to 5pm PST M- T- Th- F and from 7am to 3pm PST
on Wednesdays.

Dear Customer,

Below are instructions on how to remove the Microtek entries in the
Windows registry to resolve the Installation loop you are
experiencing. Please be certain to follow every step in the
instructions and do not remove any entries if there are discrepancies.

*disclaimer:
Microtek assumes no responsibility for errors or malfunctions
resulting from the removal of wrong entries in the registry

1. Go to Start -- Run -- Type "regedit" in the textbox (without the
quotes)

2. From the Registry, you will see 5 or 6 main headings on the left
panel. All items on this panel are folders. The larger right panel
displays the contents of these folders. Go to the left panel and click
on the "+" sign next to the items listed below following the order
on the list:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Software
Microsoft
Windows
CurrentVersion
Uninstall

*where the Software folder is inside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and Microsoft
folder is inside Software folder etc.

3. Once you click on the "+" sign next to Uninstall folder, you will
see sub folders similar to the ones displayed below:

{9224A84C-DFB3-4550-AE58-8ADE66BE4B3F}
{A4409609-BC39-49BD-8D28-0F19AF6122C6}
{B08D262E-D902-11D5-9C28-0080C85A0C2D}

Click once on each of these folders with random characters and look at
its contents on the right panel. If you find a folder that contains
"microtek " or "Scanwizard", remove the folder. To remove the folder,
highlight the folder and press "delete " on your keyboard. Check all
the folders with random characters until you reach the last folder.
The rest of the folders on the list will have manufacture or software
names. Look for folders named "Microtek..." or "Scanwizard" and delete
those as well.

Microtek entries are now removed from the Registry.

4. Close Registry Editor and restart Windows.

5. Run the setup for Scanwizard Version 5.7x. You can find the latest
Scanwizard drivers for your scanner by clicking on the link below :

http://www.support.microtek.com

The Scanwizard version 5.7x should load setup and should proceed to
install the software.

Microtek Lab, Inc.
16941 Keegan Avenue
Carson, CA 90746
Customer Service: 310-687-5940
Basic Installation Group PC: 310-687-5911
Basic Installation Group Mac: 310-687-5912
Advance Consulting Group PC: 310-687-5921
Advance Consulting Group Mac: 310-687-5922
High-End Support PC & Mac: 310-687-5930
Automated E-Mail Support:
Web Support:
www.support.microtek.com

Old June 22nd 04, 10:46 PM
CSM1

Top post because of long quoted message.

Looks like you got all of the instructions you needed.

If you are still having computer problems, you may have to do a clean
install of Windows. That means format the partition that windows is
installed in and start from a blank formatted partition. That also means
reinstalling all of your applications.

Backup all of your data before formatting the hard drive!

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
"Robert Clark" wrote in message