No POST

Old May 5th 04, 05:38 PM
Ian Breton

Default No POST

MB: New A7N8X-X

I'm getting the same results with my new Asus board as I did with a
new Epox board (sent back per Epox support).

Boards won't run POST, no beep. After power is turned on, case fans
run, and monitor goes into sleep mode after about 8 secs.

If I take the IDE cable from IDE 1, place in IDE 2, the board POSTs
and boots completely. Then, on reboot, same failure occurs.

If I place IDE cable back to IDE 1, failure occurs again.

Then placing IDE cable from IDE 1 to IDE 2, again, board POSTs and
computer boots completely.

That is the pattern.

I've tried a different new IDE cable and get the same results with or
without the CD-ROM attached to the cable.

I'm stumped, at this point. Could it be the hard drive? It seems weird
for the HD to be bad if it boots up at any point during the pattern
above.

Any wisdom here, from the wise, is appreciated... .
Old May 6th 04, 06:16 AM
Tim

Ian,

1. We can't read minds,
2. Switch your brain on.

Sure, I could type lots and ask heaps of questions, but you are the one in
front of the machine seeking help, so hows about telling us some stuff?

- Tim

om...

Old May 6th 04, 10:22 AM
rstlne

"Ian Breton" wrote in message
[...]

Well..
Testing usually doesnt involve moving a cable back and forth over and over
(cant say it's real healty for you to keep doing it either).
Anyhow, you didnt really give that much detail so I'll just kinda take what
you have and give you my suggestion.

Remove all ide cables
does it post.. Reboot, does it post.. Turn it off and let it cold start
again and see if it post..
(If no then the problem isnt with the drives)
So it posted every time.. Hook up 1 drive at a time and boot (if you have a
bootable CD I would probably use that first, just to see if it's going to
start), Keep adding IDE devices till the problem show's itself again.. If
the problem is with the hard drive again then disconnect EVERYTHING on the
ide bus except for the problem device and restart again..

So if the problem is there then you have a few things to check..
The I/O controller might be bad (but having the CDRom or other devices
somewhat disproves that). Your PS might not be up to the task, You MIGHT
have a grounding problem, or the drive itself could be faulty..
Now if the install was with the epox board was it a nv2 chipset (cause
windows wont load otherwise) then you will get errors when trying to boot.
Also if you know what the drive is (assuming you can look on it and read
it's name, ie (MAXTOR or WESTERN DIGITAL)) then you should be able to find
the diagnostic boot disk somewhere on the internet. That would be a good
way to check the disk...
If you cant find that and you rstill stuffed then I would do a low level
format & see if you can install & boot..

That's just me

Old November 19th 04, 07:02 PM
rila

Well, I assume you have done so, but if not, remove and replace the CPU to
make sure it is seated properly.

"Bert" wrote in message
Situation:

A brand new A8V de luxe.
Processor: AMD64 3500+
Memory: 1 X 1 GB Corsair DDR 400
Videocard: Aopen Gforce 6800GT
PSU: Coolermaster 450W

After assembling (inclusive extra power connector for CPU)
I connected *nothing* else but mentioned above.
When powered on CPU fan runs, LED on mobo lights up.

No video, no beeps (or other sounds) on internal speaker.
Have taken out battery for a few minutes, cleared CMOS, still nothing.
Tried different memory slots.

Is there still an option left, before returning the lot?

TIA

Bert

Old November 20th 04, 06:18 AM
Micheal Pelt

"Bert" wrote in message
Situation:

A brand new A8V de luxe.
Processor: AMD64 3500+
Memory: 1 X 1 GB Corsair DDR 400
Videocard: Aopen Gforce 6800GT
PSU: Coolermaster 450W

After assembling (inclusive extra power connector for CPU)
I connected *nothing* else but mentioned above.
When powered on CPU fan runs, LED on mobo lights up.

No video, no beeps (or other sounds) on internal speaker.
Have taken out battery for a few minutes, cleared CMOS, still nothing.
Tried different memory slots.

Check to make sure the power connector is fully and completely seated in its
socket.