Wake on Lan - A7N266-VM

Old June 6th 04, 08:04 AM
Chris

Default Wake on Lan - A7N266-VM

I am trying to get wake on lan working on my A7N266-VM motherboard. It has a
built in NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter and I am running Windows 2000
professional with all the latest updates etc. Bios version is rev 1004. I
considered updating the bios but none of the more recent versions seemed to
have any changes other than processor updates so I assumed it was not
necessary.
I have enabled on option in the bios called "Power Up On PCI Card". The
explanation in the bios says this will enable the PC to power up from
network or PCI modems. I have also enabled the option "Allow this device to
bring the computer out of standby." in the "Power Management" tab of the
Network Adapter Properties.
When I shut the box down the network card is no longer powered up, so I put
the PC into sleep mode and then send a "wake up" packet from my Linux box
using ether-wake. No joy.
I tried a PCI network card (SMC1211) but there is nowhere (that I could
find) on the motherboard to plug in the WOL cable and it did not work
either.
In addition, and I don't know if this is related to my problems or not, but
the "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby." option in
Win2k gets lost every time I reboot the PC. This happened with both of the
network adaptors I tried.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Chris

Old June 6th 04, 12:15 PM
Paul

In article , "Chris"
wrote:

[...]

Another poster recently noted that his computer would WOL if he shut down
from just using the BIOS, but wouldn't work if Win2K did the shutdown
for him. The implication was that Win2K wasn't setting up the hardware
properly for a WOL to work. I don't have an answer for that, as it
sounds like you at least found a dialog with a setting for that in
the OS.

You could try a Google search on the two terms "Win2K" and "PME".

I'm not really up on the utilities, but I've seen Intel Landesk
mentioned as a way to set it up, and the following utility was
also mentioned -

http://www.f-grubert.de/pwrswtch/index.htm

Your other question about the WOL cable, I can help with. There
are two ways to do WOL. The old way was with a cable that went from
the card to the motherboard. One of the signals on the motherboard
would be PME (power management event?) on that connector, and that
is what the PCI card would tug on, when it detected a magic packet.

The boys who wrote the PCI spec, decided it would be wonderful to
include the PME signal on all PCI connectors. In the PCI version
2.2 spec, they put PME on the connector. Now, how the industry
responded is not that useful to you. If a computer is PCI 2.2
compatible, then the three pin connector on the motherboard is
removed, and the PME pin is only on the PCI connectors. If the
computer is pre-PCI 2.2, then the motherboard will have the
connector instead. What this means, is if you own a boxload of
old Ethernet cards, and buy a new PCI 2.2 or later computer, then
you'll need to re-buy that Ethernet function in order to get
WOL working. Or something along those lines. You might find an
Ethernet card sporting both methods (cable and PCI 2.2 compatible),
but that would still only be on a new card, and would allow
a new card to work with a new or an old computer.

Of course, a built-in Ethernet function connects PME internally,
so no problems with implementation issues like this.

HTH,
Paul
Old June 8th 04, 12:39 PM
Chris

Thanks for the info, it explained a couple of things and helped me find the
answer to my problem. It turns out my motherboard does support wake on lan
with the setting that I had enabled in the bios. Getting the settings right
in win2k was the issue. I had searched google extensively to find an answer
but with no joy.

The issue that I had was that I did not check the option "Allow the computer
to turn off this device to save power" setting in the power management tab
of the network adaptor properties. Silly me, I thought that I would not want
to do that since I want the network to be able to wake on lan, and therefore
the network card should be on all of the time. Once I did that I was able to
wake up the PC from my linux box when I put it in to standby, and when I
made it hibernate. It also solved the problem that I mentioned in my initial
post where I was losing the "Allow this device to
bring the computer out of standby." setting. When I shut the computer down
through windows it turns the network card off so that was not an option, but
I am happy with hibernate, so problem solved.