A7N8X-VM400 and DDR3200 ???

Old April 9th 04, 12:27 AM
Bo Andersen

Default A7N8X-VM400 and DDR3200 ???

I have an A7N8X-VM/400 and Corsair 2x512 Dual DDR3200 CL2, and with an
external AGP card (Leadtek GF4 Ti4200) it should be possible to run 400MHz
on the RAM, but it don't ... It only runs DDR2700 (DDR333). How do I make it
run 3200 ??? Bios version are 1001 ...

Bo Andersen
Denmark

Treid Bios version 1002.002, no luck. AIDA 3.93 even claims my AGP slot is
available (empty) ??? Found out that SBA is disabled for the OS ... ???

Old April 10th 04, 02:29 AM
DreamMaker

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 01:27:53 +0200, "Bo Andersen"
wrote:

I have an A7N8X-VM/400 and Corsair 2x512 Dual DDR3200 CL2, and with an
external AGP card (Leadtek GF4 Ti4200) it should be possible to run 400MHz
on the RAM, but it don't ... It only runs DDR2700 (DDR333). How do I make it
run 3200 ??? Bios version are 1001 ...

Bo Andersen
Denmark

Treid Bios version 1002.002, no luck. AIDA 3.93 even claims my AGP slot is
available (empty) ??? Found out that SBA is disabled for the OS ... ???

That bord is a nitgh mare moua hahahaha your in it....
Old April 10th 04, 03:16 PM
fred

In article , Bo
Andersen writes
I have an A7N8X-VM/400 and Corsair 2x512 Dual DDR3200 CL2, and with an
external AGP card (Leadtek GF4 Ti4200) it should be possible to run 400MHz
on the RAM, but it don't ... It only runs DDR2700 (DDR333). How do I make it
run 3200 ??? Bios version are 1001 ...

Bo Andersen
Denmark

Treid Bios version 1002.002, no luck. AIDA 3.93 even claims my AGP slot is
available (empty) ??? Found out that SBA is disabled for the OS ... ???

Board spec says no can do, plain VM supported DDR400 but not the
VM/400, DDR333 max. Methinks they have had so much trouble getting
DDR400 working in these boards that they have dropped the support.
Lucky you're not using the onboard graphics as DDR400 mem running as
DDR333 on mine is causing crashes playing video with DirectX enabled,
soak test with Memtest86 shows clean.

Google groups shows many in the same boat.
--
fred
Old April 11th 04, 06:09 PM
Bo Andersen

That didn't help much :-(

Old April 12th 04, 08:55 PM
Paul

In article , "Bo Andersen"
wrote:

That didn't help much :-(

I've never used this program, but maybe it will give you
the control you need:

http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php

A (not so useful) alternative is mentioned he

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40624

"Guitman" says:

"You can put PC3200 in but it will run at 333. It's all in
the bios. If you want your ram to run at 400 then flash bios
for A7N8X-VM but then your CPU fsb will run at 333 not 400.
I guess their reasoning is that if you buy this board you're
not going to use an AGP card (see A7N8X-VM specs). Nice of
them to make that decision for you just because you have a
mATX case. ASUS could easily provide a bios update that would
support 400 bus for CPU and memory, hopefully they will."

I don't think that idea is particularly useful, as it would
still need clockgen, if the A7N8X-VM BIOS refuses to set a
FSB400 processor to FSB400. In any case, before flashing
a "foreign" BIOS like this, invest in a BIOS Savior
(ioss.com.tw , roughly $25) before trying such a flashing
experiment. Instead, just stick with clockgen for now.

Have fun (and be careful),
Paul
Old April 14th 04, 12:33 AM
Bo Andersen

ClockGen can't adjust Ram timing seperately, and FSB is grayed out, DARN ..
But thanks anyhow ...