P4P800 Deluxe - no POST beep on startup

Old February 24th 04, 11:16 PM
Keithm

Default P4P800 Deluxe - no POST beep on startup

Hi,

I recently set up a new system using the P4P800 Deluxe motherboard, P4 2.8g
CPU, 1024 ram, ATI 9600 pro video, etc. All worked beautifully for about a
month, then one morning, the computer just hung on startup. I had not made
any changes to the system the days before so this was unexpected. Repeated
boots gave nonsense messages like "overclocking failed" (it's not
overclocked) and "CMOS check sum error". Sometimes there was no video at
all. Then, I just got endless loop startups, where the machine rebooted as
windows started. I tried re-seating the memory chips, then (thinking the
CMOS) might be corrupted) re-flashed the bios to 1014 (same as it was
before). Funny thing is that once the machine finally did boot into Windows,
it will run rock solid all day - never had a windows crash or blue screen.

Anyway, the machine has been working properly for the last couple of days,
except that the startup "beep" which reports that POST has been completed
correctly, does not occur any more. The machine still starts and runs
faultlessly, but I am concerned that it should beep on startup as it used
to, and that there is still a problem that will manifest itself again when I
can least afford to deal with it.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks, Keithm.

Old February 25th 04, 11:49 AM
Eric

1014 took away ALL beeps for me. So I think that is normal. If you did not
set the bios to default settings after flashing to 1014 before, you might
not have noticed this.

Old February 25th 04, 11:50 AM
Eric

Also, if you had a USB device connected -- the beep you heard may have been
due to that (not a successful post). 1014 got rid of the USB device beep
on start-up (again, that required loading default settings after flashing to
1014).