Flashing BIOS on Windows 2000/XP - Help

Old January 26th 04, 03:07 PM
Paul Moloney

Default Flashing BIOS on Windows 2000/XP - Help

Since I'm upgrading my graphics card to a fairly
new one (9800XT) and have also just added
a new hard drive, I've decided to upgrade
my motherboard BIOS and drivers. From the ASUS
website, I've gotten the latest for my model
number (A7A266):

* BIOS number = 1012
* ALi Integrated Driver v1.04

I've seen it recommended that you should only
use the DOC BIOS flash utility aflash.exe.
However, this obviously only works on DOS rather
than from the XP command prompt; for example, the
aflash.exe manual states you should:

--
1. Type FORMAT A:/S at the DOS prompt to
create a bootable system floppy disk.

However, this command doesn't work from the
command line in XP.

Searching for details hasn't come up with
much; some postings mentioned the site
www.bootdisk.com, without mentioning
specific details.

Am I supposed to:

1. Use the utility at
http://files.frashii.com/~bootdisk/622-514.exe
to create a DOS 6.2.2 boot floppy disk

2. Copy aflash.exe and the relevant BIOS update
file (in this case, AA261012.AWD) to the
boot disk.

3. Boot up using the disk.

?

This all seems to be a bit of a hack
in this non-DOS days - is this really
the most reliable way to update an
ASUS BIOS?

Thanks,

P.
Old January 26th 04, 09:38 PM
Ben Pope

Paul Moloney wrote:

I can't actually quote what you wrote since everything below "-- " is
snipped as it is the delimiter for your signature.

Booting into a single tasking OS (such as DOS) is the most reliable way of
updating your BIOS, yes.

The first (and last) time I updated a BIOS in Windows, Windows crashed
mid-way, rendering the board useless.

Ben

Old January 26th 04, 11:57 PM
tomcas

The easiest and safest way to make a boot disk for flashing purposes without
the risk of running low on memory during flashing is to simply download Dr.
Dos Boot Disk.

http://www.hellasystems.de/ftp/Utili...0/drdflash.exe
Use the German version flash utility 2.21 because it has two useful dos
programs that allow you to save your existing bios settings to a text file
and it allows you to clear the CMOS without having to short the solder pads
or jumpers.
ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIO.../aflash221.zip

Unzip the utilities and the new flash file to the boot disk, leaving it
unlocked.

Boot off the floppy disk.

Save your current bios settings to a text file using the CMOS program just
for reference.
When you run Aflash, save your current bios file to the floppy before
flashing with the new file just in case you may need it. Flash to the new
file and then clear the cmos with the clrcmos program. When you re-Boot to
bios the very first time load the setup defaults.

This is the most reliable way.

om...

Old January 27th 04, 02:47 PM
Paul Moloney

"tomcas" wrote in message et...

The easiest and safest way to make a boot disk for flashing purposes without
the risk of running low on memory during flashing is to simply download Dr.
Dos Boot Disk.
[snip]

Thanks for that info - it was a big help. I succesfully
flashed a test machine (that is, not mine and will
upgrade my own later.

However, the aflash.exe I used came in an archive
aflash221.zip that didn't contain any CMOS-related
program or any called "clrcmos", so I wasn't able
clear the CMOS. What exactly does clearing the CMOS
mean? Does _not_ carrying out this action cause any
harm? Can you tell me where I might find this program
seperately?

Thanks,

P.
Old January 27th 04, 08:03 PM
no_one

it is not a program; it is the act of physically shorting out the two pins
on the motherboard after removing AC power and the battery. If you don't do
it you MIGHT have problems due to old values of BIOS setting "stuck" in the
old value.

"Paul Moloney" wrote in message
om...

et...

Old January 28th 04, 01:13 AM
tomcas

"Paul Moloney" wrote in message
om...
"tomcas" wrote in message

et...

The easiest and safest way to make a boot disk for flashing purposes

without
the risk of running low on memory during flashing is to simply download

Dr.
Dos Boot Disk.
[snip]

Thanks for that info - it was a big help. I succesfully
flashed a test machine (that is, not mine and will
upgrade my own later.

However, the aflash.exe I used came in an archive
aflash221.zip that didn't contain any CMOS-related
program or any called "clrcmos",

The aflash version with the two utilities is available to the best of my
knowledge only thru the German site and then only thru the ftp server. All
other versions do not contain these utilities. Here's the link-
ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIO.../aflash221.zip
Just login anonymously, but if it fails to login you can assume they are
over the 100 anonymous user limit and you will have to try later when it's
slower

so I wasn't able clear the CMOS.

Yes, you can. Do it the old fashion way by shorting the solder pads or
jumpers shown in your mobo manual. Make sure you unplug your powersupply
first. I've seen requirements to remove the CMOS battery also before
shorting the leads but I've always left the battery in place. If you remove
the battery for an extended period of time you don't even need to short the
leads as the CMOS will clear when it looses it's charge.

.. What exactly does clearing the CMOS mean?
It will pretty much reset all the bios settings to ones which have the
greatest compatibilty under general conditions. Most of the settings will be
auto detect and things like advanced memory settings and overclocking will
not be enabled.

Does _not_ carrying out this action cause any harm?

Not really, although you are least likely to have initial boot problems if
you always do it when you flash.

Can you tell me where I might find this program seperately?

I can email it to you, or you can get it from the German Asus FTP.

Thanks,

P.

Old January 28th 04, 01:28 AM
tomcas

In this case they are programs. They run in dos, typically from the same
floppy used to flash your bios. The program called "CMOS" (version 1.04t)
will record all of your bios settings to a text file. The program called
"clrcmos" will clear you cmos without have to open the case and short the
jumpers. Why not give them a try. You probably don't want to clear you cmos
now but writing all the bios settings to a text file is good insurance just
in case.
ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIO.../aflash221.zip

"no_one" wrote in message
news
it is not a program; it is the act of physically shorting out the two pins
on the motherboard after removing AC power and the battery. If you don't

do
it you MIGHT have problems due to old values of BIOS setting "stuck" in

the
old value.

"Paul Moloney" wrote in message
om...

et...

Old January 28th 04, 01:29 AM
Tony Hwang

Hi,
Flash utility has switches. One is for clearning CMOS.
Tony

tomcas wrote:
"Paul Moloney" wrote in message
om...

et...

Old January 28th 04, 03:10 AM
tomcas

Tony
I don't understand. Can you answer something for me- Are you saying that the
Aflash utility has the ability to clear the CMOS by itself? If so what is
the switch and why did they bundle a separate program called clrcmos? Or are
you saying the clrcmos is the switch?

tomcas wrote:
"Paul Moloney" wrote in message
om...