xp doesn't return from standby

Old November 23rd 03, 09:13 PM
xtz

thanks for all the great tips.
I went to bios, and it turns out my suspend mode was set to AUTO. and APM
fucntions were enabled.
so I changed all that, restarted the computer and tried standby mode again.
but it did a power off instead.

I GIVE UP.

"jaeger" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
so? whats the verdict?

Nothing seems amiss, drivers appear installed correctly. So it's either
a BIOS Setting(I know it worked before but the interactions can change
with a new install) or some system file or driver that is corrupted.
Just make sure that suspend mode in the BIOS is S3 only, and all APM
functions are disabled.

Old November 23rd 03, 10:12 PM
Don

Hi xtz,

It might not be the motherboard!! But instead the Intel Chipset ICH5-

See:

SYMPTOMS

If your Windows 2000-based or Windows XP-based computer with multiple ATA
drives enters the S1 power state, you may experience one of the following
symptoms:
Windows does not recognize the ATA drives when you resume your computer from
sleep or standby.
You may receive the following error message:

* Unsafe Removal of Device:

* You have unplugged or ejected a device without stopping it. Unplugging or
ejecting devices without first stopping them can frequently cause your
computer to crash and loose valuable data.

* Windows may stop responding (hang).

CAUSE

This problem occurs partly because the IDE storage driver stack incorrectly
accesses registers that are required for a software reset. This leaves the
host controller or device in a hung state. This problem does not affect
computers that are using ATA Host controllers that are configured for Legacy
mode operation. Although this issue has been identified on the Intel
ICH5-based chip set, it is not limited to this hardware.

RESOLUTION
Windows XP
Hotfix Information
The following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download
Center:

-Windows XPDownload the 812415 package now.

http://microsoft.com/downloads/detai...68D0-4110-A7DF
-8955A47BA8F5&displaylang=en

-Windows XP 64-Bit EditionDownload the 812415 package now.

http://microsoft.com/downloads/detai...58CF-4969-947B
-1444F91A8303&displaylang=en

Hope this might help
--
The Don

IEEE Electronic Design Engineer
Interfacing Computers to Robotics

"xtz" wrote in message
thanks for all the great tips.
I went to bios, and it turns out my suspend mode was set to AUTO. and APM
fucntions were enabled.
so I changed all that, restarted the computer and tried standby mode

again.
but it did a power off instead.

I GIVE UP.

. ..