What am I doing wroing? DVD-R

Old May 31st 04, 11:06 PM
Sean Winterberg

Default What am I doing wroing? DVD-R

Hello,

I have the following...

Windows XP (Dell)
Liteon DVD-R/RW (no specific model number given)
Using Sonic MyDVD software (what the drive came with)

I'm putting together a slide show. Sets up OK and burns OK. Just won't play
in any stand alone DVD player. Only my Computer DVD player. What do I need
to do to get it to work an a DVD-R compatible player?

Thank you,
Sean W

Old June 1st 04, 11:02 AM
Trev

"Sean Winterberg" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I have the following...

Windows XP (Dell)
Liteon DVD-R/RW (no specific model number given)
Using Sonic MyDVD software (what the drive came with)

I'm putting together a slide show. Sets up OK and burns OK. Just won't

play
in any stand alone DVD player. Only my Computer DVD player. What do I need
to do to get it to work an a DVD-R compatible player?

Thank you,
Sean W

But what kind of slide show one made into a vac would play on most stand
alone DVD players but one made as a .exe or html/java would not
I note that lots of programmes get round the by creating both on the same
disc and even storing the full res images on there too

Old June 1st 04, 04:09 PM
Sean Winterberg

[...]

I'm sorry, but you lost me somewhere. If I'm using a DVD burner and the
software it came with (not the best I admit), shouldn't it play anything I
burn (slideshow or video) on a dvd player regardless? If I needed something
extra to make it work, wouldn't the software let em know that? Is there
really that much more to do just to make it do what it should already do?

Thanks,
Sean

Old June 1st 04, 09:52 PM
Spamless

In article , Sean Winterberg wrote:

I'm sorry, but you lost me somewhere. If I'm using a DVD burner and the
software it came with (not the best I admit), shouldn't it play anything I
burn (slideshow or video) on a dvd player regardless? If I needed something
extra to make it work, wouldn't the software let em know that? Is there
really that much more to do just to make it do what it should already do?

There are many formats and disk types one can use for a slideshow.

Some DVD players can play disks of JPEG images as a slideshow.
Some DVD players can play [S]VCD movies (and one can make a "movie"
of the slideshow and burn to CD).
Some DVD players cannot play video CDs.
Some DVD players support DVD+R. Some support DVD-R better.

You can also burn a slideshow as a computer slideshow (an autorun CD
which includes a slide show programme to run on a computer).

You can also burn a "live CD" (e.g. using a Linux distribution which
includes an entire operating system and the slideshow programme it
can run *and* the images for the slideshow).

T'ain't quite so easy as recording a VHS tape! :-(
Old June 2nd 04, 05:58 AM
Robert Hancock

Not quite that simple.. What kind of files is the software putting on the
disc? If it just sticks a bunch of JPEG files on the DVD, you will end up
with a disc full of JPEG files - a DVD player won't be able to do anything
with it, unless it specifically supports it. The disc has to be set up with
a specific DVD-Video file/directory structure for a DVD player to do
anything with it.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

Old June 8th 04, 05:28 AM

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:52:57 GMT, Spamless wrote:

[...]

http://www.videohelp.com/

you can also checkout the above that has loads of guides.

I think using a DVD-/+R for a slide show would be a waste of money. I
do not know anyone who would want to seat and watch 2 hrs of slides.

I have used WinOnCD 5 Power Edition which is my favorite. It makes a
SVCD or VCD that will play in most DVD players and also will autoplay
on the computer. There are several other programs that will make the
slide show. One big difference is how it converts the JPG images to a
format for the TV. One of the worse I even tried was by Adobe called
PhotoAlbum. The quality of its pictures on the TV was the worse.

-------------------
I have a friend that is trying to make slide shows from his digital
camera. We have tried Nero using the VCD feature, Ulead DVD Picture
Show and neither work perfectly. He would like to be able to have the
CDR play both in a stand alone DVD player but still be easy for even
the computer dummies play it on their computer without having some
type of special driver. I found the following that he plays to try
next. Also someone else suggested WinOnCD 3.8. We hope to try this
next. I do not like the way ULead DVD stores the images on the CDR.
They are all stored with a *.dat extension. He burned a picture set
wtih Ulead on a CDRW. It would not play on my JVC 7 disk changer that
has played every VCD and SVCD I have thrown at it. However, it I
usually only burn to CDRs so I do not know if the problem was the CDRW
or the software. The disk did play fine on my Afreey LS2060 but I
could not get Windows Media player to play the *.dat without a lot of
effort that you could never explain to many of the family members that
are computer dummies.

You might try also searching on www.google.com for photo slide shows
for some other tips plus look at www.vcdhelp.com
-------------------
On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 00:12:53 GMT, in alt.binaries.multimedia.utilities
wrote:

Ulead DVD picture show, will do what you are asking with fancy menus,
and music... to vcd/svcd/dvd

Roxio Win on CD 5 - here now - will also create nice slide shows, that
can also include mpeg videos...
the only software I have seen to combine both video and stills on the
same disc... where tou want it...
in otherwords... you can have a menu, select from that menu a slide
show... or a movie... then go select another slide show,
but better yet... you can actually build a slide show... put an mpeg
in the middle of it, and more pics after, and
it will play the slide show, one pic after the other, then when it
runs into the mpeg, the show becomes a movie, and
at the end of the mpeg, it resumes the slide show... to the last pic,
and starts over at pic one, unless you select,
"return" on your remote, which will take you to the menu, or if you
have no "return" key on your remote,
hit stop, and play again to get to the menu... win on cd is much
faster, but less eloberate than ulead pic show,
and you may have to play with the type of audio file you load as
background music, but it is fast and easy and for most part works
great....

For something really great, use VCD EASY from vcdeasy.org, to make
your own "mpeg stills"... make your own "menu"
in a paint program, make an mpeg still of that also... and load them
into the burn list... then use vcdeasy's chaptering tools,
to set up how the disc will run.... this is the most intensive
learning curve... (read or download the guides at the site)
but it will give you the best results, with the most control over what
your end result will be... time consuming, but professional....

also the new nero will make a decent picture disc, with menus and
music... (here now)

have fun,

Below are several message I have collected on creating slideshows. A
couple of friends and I finally decided that WinonCD was by far the
best overall. It stores the original images on the CDR in their
original format, it plays on most DVD players we have tried and it
will auto play in IE on a computer. I am not completely happy with the
way it displays on the computer but it seems the best overall that we
have tried.

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 09:59:00 +0000 (UTC), in alt.comp.periphs.cdr
"Steven" wrote:

Try this page for help )

http://www.coyote01.freeserve.co.uk/site_map.htm

-----------------------

A "slide show" can be made either as a VCD that can be
played by *some* (see http://www.vcdhelp.com ) for more
info on that or as a "slide show" that runs from a PC (or MAC
I guess). In the first case (VCD), the DVD player treats it like
any other VCD or DVD - video data. In the second case, the
"slide show" is a collection of pictures displayed by a program
running on the computer. Both are popular, but I don't
remember exactly which was asked for (I assumed VCD).
There are also programs out there to make "screensavers" for
computers with your own pictures -- sometimes people refer to
these as "slide shows" also. Nero does the VCD version
quite well although I have not investigated if it will let me
put an audio track on as part of the VCD.

------------------------------
I am trying to make a slide show on CDR media that will play on the
computer and on a DVD player. I have tried Ulead DVD and Nero 5.5x.

I find if I use Ulead it will play on some DVDs players but not all,
but it will not play with Windows Media player.

If I use Nero it hangs up the computer after about 30 pictures. It
appears to not like some of the formats of the images.

I would like to find one program that would make a slide show that
would play with the standard Windows Media players and on standard
alone DVD players.

Any other suggestions besides the two I have tried. I do like the fact
that Nero will allow me to store the raw images under a folder if I
make a VCD. At least this way I keep a copy of the raw image in
addition to the VCD it makes.

Ulead DVD creates a *.dat file for each of the pictures and if you
force Windows Media player to open these it will show the picture, but
it will not play it as a slide show.

I never have any problem with Nero but I can tell you that creating
VCD from still images Nero is just an OK tool which works but not the
best because it's lacking of some neat features.

There are many programs can turn still images into VCD to do slideshow
on TV using stand alone DVD player, and Ulead DVD Player is also a
good choice (never tried but heard it works and only costs $30). But
it seems like you too have the same taste I have (keeping the original
..JPG) and I can tell you that there is one can do all those.

WinOnCD v3.8 is the one you want (you may not want to try the Roxio
WinOnCD v5.x as it may work and may not work and also may cause
problem to your system) which has lot more features than Nero does.
And you may want to try the German version as the English version may
have problem with Audio (not 100% sure). And you can find v3.8 in
many Peer-To-Peer servers like KaZaa, eDonkey etc.. and many web pages
still have it.

WinOnCD v3.8 you can have hundreds of photos (v3.7 limits to 99
photos) and you can create MENUS (the real Menus not like Nero) for
each Photo album, it also allows you to add Audio (Nero doesn't have),
it also creates Web Slideshow (Nero doesn't have either) so the one
without DVD player can view the sideshow on PC using browser, and it
too stores the *original* photos on CD. So it has everything you ask
for, and I have been using WinOnCD v3.8 to create DVD slideshow for
almost 2 years now, and I chose WinOnCD v3.8 because it keeps the
original JPG (I too have digital camera).

Good luck and have fun!

On Sun, 3 Nov 2002 16:17:53 +0000 (UTC), "Nick Evans"
wrote:

How do I create a VCD slideshow of Jpegs, etc. for viewing on my DVD player.
I have tried creating a MPEG file and then burning it as a VCD but when I
try and view it, it doesn't show anything. I'm very possibly doing/missing
out something very obvious!

Thanks
Nick

---------------------
Some DVD players will require you to use the Return button, some DVD
players do not have a REturn so you have to find another button. Nero
can make good slide shows but it is not easy to learn.

I prefer WinOnCD5 for my slide shows. I think it works better. Another
choice is Ulead. There are at least 10 other slide show software
programs available. One to avoid is Adobes. Its pictures have very
stair step line and was the worse of the 8 to 10 programs I have
tried. WinOnCD is hard to find but overall I think is the best. It
will allow you to use Albums that show up on the first page. You still
have to learn how your particular remote will work with each slide
show. I have access to about 8 to 10 different dvd players and they
all require different keys to achieve the same results but they all
will work. You just have to learn what works with your dvd players
remote.

In Nero do not use the Express. It does not make the best slide shows.
If you use the expert mode, once you have the images in the left hand
windows, highlite all the images, then right click and you can find
the place to tell Nero hold long to display the image before
advancing.

On you remote, once you go pass the first page you may have to use the
10+ key to enter the number of the current slide, but this requires
lots of counting.

some other web pages with slide shows program listed in no particular
order:
http://www.xat.com/screensaver_maker/index.html

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/guides
above has several guides on different programs for making slide shows.
The following should be a direct link:
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/guides.php?howtoselect=3;9

As I said, I have tested at least 10 to 20 different programs and find
WinOnCD5 to be my favorite. I really disliked version 6. With Version
5, if you name your folders correctly, you can just drag a folder into
the "Photo Album" and create your main intro page. The one thing to
watch, is by default it will create a blank Album and it will give you
funky messages that you cannot burn your project with an empty album
and you forget you did not delete the default one. ALso by default it
creates the slide show as PAL format and you have to remember to find
the submenu under Setting, Image Size, to change it to NTSC.

One reason I like WinONCD is it creates the cd so it will auto play in
your computer using IE plus it stores your original images under a
special folder. All the slide show programs convert your images into a
special format for displaying on TV that throws away the original
quality, but WinOnCd stores the original image. However, I have not
found any way to disable this function and if you have very large
images from scanning or using Adobe Photoshop, a friend average image
jpg size was over 20 megs, you cannot store very many images on a CDr.
He found he could change the "quality" level of the jpg in Photoshop
for the images he was going to use with either Nero or WinOnCD from an
average of 20 megs to about 3 megs without any loss in how well the
image displayed on the TV. Now if you try to take that image back into
Photoshop you will see the loss.