e-mail attachments

Old June 27th 03, 07:56 PM
KenTak

Default e-mail attachments

I am not able to send attachments by e-mail; I can receive them.
I have P4PE with XP Pro installed; firewall disabled.
I've tried Netscape 7.02, Mozilla 1.3, and Outlook 98;
none have been able to send attachments.
I've tried small and large files.

Thanks for any help
Ken

Old June 28th 03, 06:22 AM
KenTak

I have checked with my ISP (Earthlink), and he finds no problems with that
particular server.
I use a pop server for incoming and smtp for outgoing.
Ken

Fawad Chughtai wrote:

Maybe there is a problem with your mail server, and not your computer?
So you are using a pop server to send email?

-Fawad

Old June 28th 03, 08:08 AM
Paul

In article , KenTak
wrote:

--------------000103090006090801000506

I have checked with my ISP (Earthlink), and he finds no problems with that
particular server.
I use a pop server for incoming and smtp for outgoing.
Ken

My ISP made a change to our mail server, where ICMP was disabled (so
for example you cannot ping the server) and the MTU was changed to a
value which happened to be 10 or 20 bytes less than the MTU of my
router. This places the mail server in what I think is termed a
"black hole". What happens is, when you send a large email, the
email program sends full sized packets. Normally, TCP/IP would
"discover" the MTU of the destination, using a function supported
by ICMP. Something to do with whether to fragment the packet or
not. Unfortunately, the protocol is such, that a server operating
in a black hole, returns nothing to the sender, and the protocol
freezes, because there is no retry by your computer. When I phoned
tech support at my ISP, they were all sweet and innocent, explaining
it was my fault that my MTU was too big, and would I reduce it.
They didn't explain the change they made, which is normally
implemented as some kind of protection against security or denial
of service attacks on the mail server.

Now that I've reduced my MTU, everything is back to normal. I
hope tech support at Earthlink are more honest about what they
have done with their server. It is quite possible the lowest
tier individuals who answer the phone, know nothing of the details.

HTH,
Paul

Fawad Chughtai wrote:

Maybe there is a problem with your mail server, and not your computer?
So you are using a pop server to send email?

-Fawad

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, KenTak wrote:

I am not able to send attachments by e-mail; I can receive them.
I have P4PE with XP Pro installed; firewall disabled.
I've tried Netscape 7.02, Mozilla 1.3, and Outlook 98;
none have been able to send attachments.
I've tried small and large files.

Thanks for any help
Ken

--------------000103090006090801000506

!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
html
head
meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1"
title/title
/head
body
I have checked with my ISP (Earthlink), and he finds no problems with that
br
particular server.br
I use a pop server for incoming and smtp for outgoing.br
Kenbr
br
Fawad Chughtai wrote:br
blockquote type="cite"
"
pre wrap=""Maybe there is a problem with your mail server, and not

your computer?
So you are using a pop server to send email?

-Fawad

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, KenTak wrote:

/pre
blockquote type="cite"
pre wrap=""I am not able to send attachments by e-mail; I can

receive them.
I have P4PE with XP Pro installed; firewall disabled.
I've tried Netscape 7.02, Mozilla 1.3, and Outlook 98;
none have been able to send attachments.
I've tried small and large files.

Thanks for any help
Ken

/pre
/blockquote
pre wrap=""!----
/pre
/blockquote
br
/body
/html

--------------000103090006090801000506--

Old June 28th 03, 04:42 PM
KenTak

Thanks for your reply.
What is the MTU and how do I change it?
Ken

Old June 29th 03, 05:15 AM
Paul

You might also try and go to www.dslreports.com

They have some "tools" to help you check/adjust the MTU as well as RWIN (early
versions of Windoze set the latter to ~8192 and thus would limit throughput on
broadband to around 700kbps instead of ~1500kbps---when considering average
network latency).

Paul

"Paul" wrote in message
In article , KenTak
wrote:

--------------050901050503050000080904

Thanks for your reply.
What is the MTU and how do I change it?
Ken

MTU is Maximum Transfer Unit. Each piece of media in the path to
an internet site has a MTU, but a packet can only get through if
it is smaller than the least MTU in the path. PMTU, is the path
MTU discovery process, and it is the part of the protocol that finds
what size to use. A "black hole" prevents PMTU from working.
A normal value for MTU for Ethernet might be 1500 bytes.

There are several approaches to making the adjustment. You can adjust
the MTU on your router. You can also change registry settings in
Windows to do it (Depending on which Microsoft OS you use, the
registry entry could be "MTU" or "MaxMTU"). Or, there are
shareware/freeware programs that will edit the registry for
you (easymtu ? MTU-Speed Pro ? etc).

Searching on "mtu adjust windows" at Altavista, leads me to this
Cisco doc. It has references to various Knowledgebase articles. The last
page mentions a registry setting for WinXP:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/38.pdf
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;314053 (see "MTU")

But I would call Earthlink, and get them to either walk you through the
registry editing process, or give you an application to set it up.
It will give you a chance to have them admit they created the problem
in the first place. They should also be able to give you a new value
for MTU, because otherwise you would have to guess at it and test
each time.

Paul

Paul wrote:

Fawad Chughtai wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your reply.  br
What is the MTU and how do I change it?br
Kenbr
br
Paul wrote:br
blockquote type="cite" "
pre wrap=""In article a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"

"<3 &
gt;/a,
KenTak
a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"

"<kentake@ea rthlink.net>/a
wrote:

/pre
blockquote type="cite"
pre wrap=""--------------000103090006090801000506

pre wrap=""Fawad Chughtai wrote:

[...]

<head>

content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1">
<title></title>
</head>
I have checked with my ISP (Earthlink), and he finds no problems with that
particular server.<br>
I use a pop server for incoming and smtp for outgoing.<br>
Ken<br>
Fawad Chughtai wrote:<br>
cite=a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"

"/a&gt
;
<pre wrap="">Maybe there is a problem with your mail server, and not
/pre
/blockquote
pre wrap=""!----your computer?
/pre
blockquote type="cite"
pre wrap=""So you are using a pop server to send email?

-Fawad

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, KenTak wrote:

</pre>
<pre wrap="">I am not able to send attachments by e-mail; I can
/pre
/blockquote
pre wrap=""!----receive them.
/pre
blockquote type="cite"
pre wrap=""I have P4PE with XP Pro installed; firewall disabled.
I've tried Netscape 7.02, Mozilla 1.3, and Outlook 98;
none have been able to send attachments.
I've tried small and large files.

Thanks for any help
Ken

</pre>