Bios Update Gone Terribly Bad

Old December 8th 04, 05:06 PM
Sm66ca

Default Bios Update Gone Terribly Bad

Attention Experts:

I did a baddddddddd thing...My attempt at updating my bios went horribly wrong
when it stalled RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of the update.I tried the "floppy" fix by
placing on it the flasher and bios update along with an autoexec file with the
suitable command to flash the bios that way, BUT to no avail. Now I'm guessing
my bios is still okay given the fact that "BootLock" on it has been activated.
The thing is while the floppy is booting I get the Award Flasher dialogue box
but no cursor where I can type in the *.bin file for the update. The keyboard
is inoperative (tried several) and no "A" prompt.

I hear this is a not so uncommon occurence where Bootlock is activated but no
"A" prompt nor response from keyboard which would allow for input of *.bin file
in question.

Michael

Old December 8th 04, 05:32 PM
Jef Norton

"Sm66ca" wrote in message
| Attention Experts:
|
| I did a baddddddddd thing...My attempt at updating my bios went horribly
wrong
| when it stalled RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of the update.I tried the "floppy" fix
by
| placing on it the flasher and bios update along with an autoexec file with
the
| suitable command to flash the bios that way, BUT to no avail. Now I'm
guessing
| my bios is still okay given the fact that "BootLock" on it has been
activated.
| The thing is while the floppy is booting I get the Award Flasher dialogue
box
| but no cursor where I can type in the *.bin file for the update. The
keyboard
| is inoperative (tried several) and no "A" prompt.
|
| I hear this is a not so uncommon occurence where Bootlock is activated but
no
| "A" prompt nor response from keyboard which would allow for input of *.bin
file
| in question.
|
| Michael

Hi Michael -

Perhaps you can find some help on the BootBlock recovery page I wrote some
time back:
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/bootblock.html

Jef

Old December 12th 04, 04:27 AM
Steel Pig

"Jef Norton" wrote in
news
"Sm66ca" wrote in message
| Attention Experts:
|
| I did a baddddddddd thing...My attempt at updating my bios went
| horribly
wrong
| when it stalled RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of the update.I tried the
| "floppy" fix
by
| placing on it the flasher and bios update along with an autoexec file
| with
the
| suitable command to flash the bios that way, BUT to no avail. Now I'm
guessing
| my bios is still okay given the fact that "BootLock" on it has been
activated.
| The thing is while the floppy is booting I get the Award Flasher
| dialogue
box
| but no cursor where I can type in the *.bin file for the update. The
keyboard
| is inoperative (tried several) and no "A" prompt.
|
| I hear this is a not so uncommon occurence where Bootlock is
| activated but
no
| "A" prompt nor response from keyboard which would allow for input of
| *.bin
file
| in question.
|
| Michael

Hi Michael -

Perhaps you can find some help on the BootBlock recovery page I wrote
some time back:
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/bootblock.html

Jef

some of the flash utilities can be run with switches or paths

example "flash.exe xyz.bin"
where xyz is the new bios.
if you have access to another computer you can set this up as a bootable
floppy with an autoexec.bat batch file to automate your bios update.