BIOS Problem

Old February 8th 04, 09:04 AM
John Lettiere

Default BIOS Problem

I just built a system using a GA-8IPE1000 MoBo, and I can't get into the
BIOS setup.

System components a 2 sticks of Crucial PC-3200 256MB 400 DDR-SDRAM,
total 512MB, and an Intel P4 2.8GHz proc running on a 533MHz BUS,
video is a BFG Asylum GeForce4 MX440-SE 64MB DDR AGP card, plus the two
drives mentioned below.

When I boot the system, the BIOS is slow to load.

It sees the proc and memory fine, but takes 10 minutes to identify the two
drives; WD 120MB HDD and Lite-On DVD burner combo, both on separate IDE
channels, then it freezes, and never gets to the setup screen.

I've tried hot and cold boots sever times, and the same thing happens.

I'm wondering if the BIOS chip is bad?

Anyone else have this same problem?

Thanks.

JL.

Old February 8th 04, 01:11 PM

John Lettiere wrote:
I just built a system using a GA-8IPE1000 MoBo, and I can't get into the
BIOS setup.

System components a 2 sticks of Crucial PC-3200 256MB 400 DDR-SDRAM,
total 512MB, and an Intel P4 2.8GHz proc running on a 533MHz BUS,
video is a BFG Asylum GeForce4 MX440-SE 64MB DDR AGP card, plus the two
drives mentioned below.

When I boot the system, the BIOS is slow to load.

It sees the proc and memory fine, but takes 10 minutes to identify the two
drives; WD 120MB HDD and Lite-On DVD burner combo, both on separate IDE
channels, then it freezes, and never gets to the setup screen.

I've tried hot and cold boots sever times, and the same thing happens.

I'm wondering if the BIOS chip is bad?

Anyone else have this same problem?

Thanks.

JL.

I would find the jumper to clear CMOS, and do that. It could be there
is a setting currently in CMOS that is slowing down the boot process.
If you have a different video card, it might also be wise to install it
until you boot properly. Once you boot properly, you can install the
current video card and see if it is your problem.

Old February 8th 04, 02:37 PM
Stevie Boy

IT could be possible that the bios is looking for drives (slaves) on the
other channels that arn't there. Some bios chips are fussy in this respect
if the channels are set to auto rather than none. If this is the case
reseting the bios is unlikely to change the defaults.

IS there a reason why you cant enter the bios utility?

Steve

Old February 8th 04, 05:16 PM
Jay Cousins

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 09:04:14 GMT, "John Lettiere"
wrote:

I just built a system using a GA-8IPE1000 MoBo, and I can't get into the
BIOS setup.

System components a 2 sticks of Crucial PC-3200 256MB 400 DDR-SDRAM,
total 512MB, and an Intel P4 2.8GHz proc running on a 533MHz BUS,
video is a BFG Asylum GeForce4 MX440-SE 64MB DDR AGP card, plus the two
drives mentioned below.

When I boot the system, the BIOS is slow to load.

It sees the proc and memory fine, but takes 10 minutes to identify the two
drives; WD 120MB HDD and Lite-On DVD burner combo, both on separate IDE
channels, then it freezes, and never gets to the setup screen.

I've tried hot and cold boots sever times, and the same thing happens.

I'm wondering if the BIOS chip is bad?

Anyone else have this same problem?

Thanks.

JL.

Some BIOS's have a hard time booting up if the Hard drive settings are
incorrect like a jumper setting. Make sure that the jumper is set to
Single. (Usually no jumper at all on a WD), and that your BIOS
supports a drive that big. Also make sure that your CD-ROM is set to
single. If it is still not starting then try replacing the CMOS
battery. I know that this a brand new MB but this can also cause
similar problems. If the BIOS chip was "bad" then you wouldn't get
anything at all during startup.

-Jay
Old February 8th 04, 05:23 PM
Bill Barto

"John Lettiere" wrote in message
et...
I just built a system using a GA-8IPE1000 MoBo, and I can't get into the
BIOS setup.

System components a 2 sticks of Crucial PC-3200 256MB 400 DDR-SDRAM,
total 512MB, and an Intel P4 2.8GHz proc running on a 533MHz BUS,
video is a BFG Asylum GeForce4 MX440-SE 64MB DDR AGP card, plus the two
drives mentioned below.

When I boot the system, the BIOS is slow to load.

It sees the proc and memory fine, but takes 10 minutes to identify the two
drives; WD 120MB HDD and Lite-On DVD burner combo, both on separate IDE
channels, then it freezes, and never gets to the setup screen.

I've tried hot and cold boots sever times, and the same thing happens.

I'm wondering if the BIOS chip is bad?

Anyone else have this same problem?

Thanks.

JL.

I had the same problem and it turned out to be one of the IDE cables. When I
changed out one of the cables everything worked fine. I don't know what the
problem was with the cable.

I have the GA-8IPE1000 Pro.

Old February 8th 04, 08:29 PM
John Lettiere

It was a jumper setting on the WD HDD.

I didn't set it for master-no slave. DUH..............!

Thanks for all your help guys.

--
John Lettiere GM
Preferred Computing Inc.

Old February 8th 04, 08:40 PM
John Smith

This is interesting as I saw the same thing when I built two PCs for a
friend late last Summer - the mobos in that case were Asus P4P800 Deluxes. I
had built other PCs with P4P800s and not experienced this problem but on the
two PCs I built for my friends the BIOS just crawled with each page/change
taking ages to refresh. Subsequently, others on the Asus NG experienced
identical problems with their P4P800s.

Interestingly, the only common things that you have and which my friend's
PCs had were Crucial memory, albeit they had 2700 SDRAM and you have 3200,
and the Western Digital HD which appears to be identical. Initially the BIOS
couldn't see the drives at all but an fdisk solved that... didn't think you
still needed to do that with modern drives... I seem to recall that I change
the jumper on the drives and that speeded things up slightly but not
brilliantly.

Hope this helps in some way.

John.

[...]

Bios problem with Asus A8V no spam AMD x86-64 Processors 1 October 23rd 04 01:34 PM
Help with bios problem Rock General 3 February 25th 04 05:19 AM
Bizzarre Problem and no BIOS Setup Rev. Bleech_ General 3 November 12th 03 03:43 AM
BIOS Problem ? briwy General 4 September 13th 03 06:35 PM
bios hung while flashing mdp General 1 June 23rd 03 11:18 AM