Yamaha OPL3-SAx Sound System

Old October 3rd 03, 03:51 PM
Connie Schuster

Default Yamaha OPL3-SAx Sound System

Be forewarned, I'm a newbie to Newsgroups and have no clue as to which one
to post my question. It sounds like you all know what you're talking about,
so I figured I would post here. I just purchased a tower from an individual
and am having problems with no sound (sound was working fine at the time of
purchase). Under Device Manager, it says that it's causing a resource
conflict (Code 15.). But under the Resources tab (under Conflicting
Devices), it says that there are no conflicts. I have checked all of my
other devices and all are working properly (with no conflicts listed). I
have also run the Hardware Troubleshooter (with no luck),
downloading/upgrading the driver, and un-installing & reinstalling. What
can I do to make it work again? I have a Pentium II computer and am running
Windows 98se.

loneshewolf

Old October 3rd 03, 04:10 PM
JAD

do you know how to enter bios? hit DEL at startup in most cases. if not then remove the sound card and all releted entries in
sound and multimedia. reboot

if you can enter BIOS/cmos change 'PNP oS installed' to NO 'reset configuration data' to yes.

save all changes and exit...machine will reboot

Old October 3rd 03, 05:10 PM
Connie Schuster

Entered BIOS and PNP OS Installed was already set to 'NO'. I didn't see
'reset configuration data'. I appologize for my stupidity, I know how to
USE the computer and I'm now in the process of learning how to configure,
etc.

. net...

Old October 3rd 03, 05:14 PM
JAD

ok...change that PnP Os to yes...... some boards don't have that reset setting(actually its a bios thing) and see if that will sort
out the resource problem

"Connie Schuster" wrote in message . net...
Entered BIOS and PNP OS Installed was already set to 'NO'. I didn't see
'reset configuration data'. I appologize for my stupidity, I know how to
USE the computer and I'm now in the process of learning how to configure,
etc.

. net...

Old October 3rd 03, 06:11 PM
Connie Schuster

Okay, now the device manager says that it's working properly...but still no
sound (only sound is when I'm connecting, the speakers are fine). Out of
curiosity, I went to Control Panel Multimedia Audio, in which it
displayed two devices: Audio for Yamaha OPL3-SAx Sound System and Audio for
opl3sa32.dll. Status for Yamaha says driver enabled & active, but the
status for opl3sa32.dll says: driver is enabled, but inactive due to an
unknown problem. How the heck do I find out what the unknown problem is???
I've already upgraded the driver.

"JAD" wrote in message
.net...
ok...change that PnP Os to yes...... some boards don't have that reset

setting(actually its a bios thing) and see if that will sort
out the resource problem

"Connie Schuster" wrote in message

. net...
Entered BIOS and PNP OS Installed was already set to 'NO'. I didn't see
'reset configuration data'. I appologize for my stupidity, I know how

USE the computer and I'm now in the process of learning how to

configure,
etc.

. net...

Old October 3rd 03, 08:46 PM
JAD

ahhh yes well heres the thing that sound card (a favorite of mine) has a TON of drivers out there, not all drivers are for the
chipset you have. It sounds as though you have a driver conflict. stop using the driver you currently are trying as an update.....I
believe a have a driver for that card. I can email it to you if its not too big. I will have to look. REMOVE all instances of driver
from add/remove.

Since the driver worked at one time, the 'INF' file should still be there. Try when updating, to select a specific place for the
driver location. Then select 'show all compatible hardware. chose the driver with the oldest date.

I'll go and check my CD's for that driver...yikes I gotta stop hoarding all this old stuff... ;^)

Question....does the description call it a OPL-SAX '3' or 2?

"Connie Schuster" wrote in message k.net...
Okay, now the device manager says that it's working properly...but still no
sound (only sound is when I'm connecting, the speakers are fine). Out of
curiosity, I went to Control Panel Multimedia Audio, in which it
displayed two devices: Audio for Yamaha OPL3-SAx Sound System and Audio for
opl3sa32.dll. Status for Yamaha says driver enabled & active, but the
status for opl3sa32.dll says: driver is enabled, but inactive due to an
unknown problem. How the heck do I find out what the unknown problem is???
I've already upgraded the driver.

"JAD" wrote in message
.net...
ok...change that PnP Os to yes...... some boards don't have that reset

setting(actually its a bios thing) and see if that will sort
out the resource problem

"Connie Schuster" wrote in message

. net...
Entered BIOS and PNP OS Installed was already set to 'NO'. I didn't see
'reset configuration data'. I appologize for my stupidity, I know how

USE the computer and I'm now in the process of learning how to

configure,
etc.

. net...

Old October 3rd 03, 10:20 PM
Shep©

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 17:11:37 GMT, In this world we created "Connie
Schuster" wrote :

Okay, now the device manager says that it's working properly...but still no
sound (only sound is when I'm connecting, the speakers are fine). Out of
curiosity, I went to Control Panel Multimedia Audio, in which it
displayed two devices: Audio for Yamaha OPL3-SAx Sound System and Audio for
opl3sa32.dll. Status for Yamaha says driver enabled & active, but the
status for opl3sa32.dll says: driver is enabled, but inactive due to an
unknown problem. How the heck do I find out what the unknown problem is???
I've already upgraded the driver.

Are the speakers you are connecting to,"Powered" e.g have their own
amplifier?
If not that may be the problem.
also click here,

http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/mmsystem.html
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html

HTH

"JAD" wrote in message
k.net...
ok...change that PnP Os to yes...... some boards don't have that reset

setting(actually its a bios thing) and see if that will sort
out the resource problem

"Connie Schuster" wrote in message

.net...
Entered BIOS and PNP OS Installed was already set to 'NO'. I didn't see
'reset configuration data'. I appologize for my stupidity, I know how

USE the computer and I'm now in the process of learning how to

configure,
etc.

. net...

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in jmx to reply
Old October 3rd 03, 11:36 PM
Connie Schuster

I got the driver from the Yamaha website. I figured that way I would be
sure to get the right one. Initially I tried upgrading it, when that didn't
work I removed the old one and downloaded the new one (to My Documents) from
Yamaha. Is there somewhere else I should try putting the file?

The description of the device is: opl3sa32.dll (both the 3 and the 2). It
is also listed in Line Input Devices with the same status: driver is
enabled, but inactive due to an unknown problem.

I sure do appreciate the help you're giving me.

"JAD" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

"JAD" wrote in message
.net...
ok...change that PnP Os to yes...... some boards don't have that reset

setting(actually its a bios thing) and see if that will sort
out the resource problem

"Connie Schuster" wrote in message

. net...
Entered BIOS and PNP OS Installed was already set to 'NO'. I didn't

see
'reset configuration data'. I appologize for my stupidity, I know

how
USE the computer and I'm now in the process of learning how to

configure,
etc.

. net...

Old October 4th 03, 12:20 AM
JAD

The 32 in the file name refers to 32bit.....usually in the device manager the name under sounds and multimedia is
oPL-SaX-3(2)/OPL3(2)-SaX. The dll file you named is oPL3 is the other sound source OPL3 also? Can you look at the card itself and
catch the number on the largest chip?

You could go into device manager and write down the driver details along with their paths and delete them from the system along with
any INF files associated.....remember that the INF is a hidden system folder so the appropriate file settings have to be set
in -tools -option-view in order to see it.C:/windows/INF/other ..if you have an 'other' folder under the INF folder most likely
this is where windows is pulling the info from.

after this reboot and windows should not just load a driver it will ask...hmm forgot to ask, is the driver you downloaded a EXE
'self install' or is it a just a series of dll's and vxd's etc? If it is the later, point to the my doc folder where you put the
files. if its an exe cancel the install wizard and get to desktop, run the exe, reboot..

"Connie Schuster" wrote in message k.net...
I got the driver from the Yamaha website. I figured that way I would be
sure to get the right one. Initially I tried upgrading it, when that didn't
work I removed the old one and downloaded the new one (to My Documents) from
Yamaha. Is there somewhere else I should try putting the file?

The description of the device is: opl3sa32.dll (both the 3 and the 2). It
is also listed in Line Input Devices with the same status: driver is
enabled, but inactive due to an unknown problem.

I sure do appreciate the help you're giving me.

"JAD" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

"JAD" wrote in message
.net...
ok...change that PnP Os to yes...... some boards don't have that reset
setting(actually its a bios thing) and see if that will sort
out the resource problem

"Connie Schuster" wrote in message
. net...
Entered BIOS and PNP OS Installed was already set to 'NO'. I didn't

see
'reset configuration data'. I appologize for my stupidity, I know

how
USE the computer and I'm now in the process of learning how to
configure,
etc.

. net...

Old October 4th 03, 04:23 AM
Connie Schuster

By driver details and paths, I'm assuming you mean the driver files (there
are 7 listed under driver details). In deleting them and the INF files (and
removing the driver from the device manager), would that also remove the
opl3sa32.dll device in multimedia, or do I remove that separately? I
haven't opened the system yet, but I could if you need me to check on the
number on the chip. And, yes, the driver I downloaded is an EXE file.

"JAD" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

"JAD" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

"JAD" wrote in message
.net...
ok...change that PnP Os to yes...... some boards don't have that

reset
setting(actually its a bios thing) and see if that will sort
out the resource problem

"Connie Schuster" wrote in message
. net...
Entered BIOS and PNP OS Installed was already set to 'NO'. I

didn't
see
'reset configuration data'. I appologize for my stupidity, I

know
how
USE the computer and I'm now in the process of learning how to
configure,
etc.

. net...