KT400 mobo and Barton

Old January 17th 04, 04:01 PM
Robert

Default KT400 mobo and Barton

I am running a Barton 2500+ on a Ga-7vax mobo. I would love to be able to
overclock this cpu since the cpu is barely breaking a sweat at default
1833mhz (load temp 29-32c) . The mobo allows me to switch multipliers by
switch but the cpu seems locked at 11. Odd enough, even if I lower the
mulplier the cpu is still at 11. Its as though the cpu is ignoring the mobo
and won't even allow unerclocking.

My next step was FSB. Since I am using 512 mbkingston ddr3200 ram which
easily clocks to 400mhz, I can up the FSB to 200- except that the PCI
divider screws me up. 180is my max.

Should I get an nforce mobo? is it worthwhile? What kind of performance
increase will I realize if I up the FSB to 200 x 11 vs the current 180 x11
speed?

Thanks

Old January 17th 04, 05:55 PM
S.Heenan

Robert wrote:
I am running a Barton 2500+ on a Ga-7vax mobo. I would love to be
able to overclock this cpu since the cpu is barely breaking a sweat
at default 1833mhz (load temp 29-32c) . The mobo allows me to switch
multipliers by switch but the cpu seems locked at 11. Odd enough,
even if I lower the mulplier the cpu is still at 11. Its as though
the cpu is ignoring the mobo and won't even allow unerclocking.

My next step was FSB. Since I am using 512 mbkingston ddr3200 ram
which easily clocks to 400mhz, I can up the FSB to 200- except that
the PCI divider screws me up. 180is my max.

Should I get an nforce mobo? is it worthwhile? What kind of
performance increase will I realize if I up the FSB to 200 x 11 vs
the current 180 x11 speed?

The sole reason I left VIA Socket A chipsets for the nForce2 is the PLL PCI
divider issue. I had several Gigabyte boards which, while solid and easy to
work with, did not overclock very well. Look at the Abit NF7/NF7-S or the
Asus A7N8X series of boards.

Old January 17th 04, 06:07 PM
Robert

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Have you been successfull at overclocking a multiplier-locked Barton 2500
from 166 x11 to 200 x 11? Is that to ambititious of me?

I'm thinking that if I can't get this 1833mhz processor up to at least
2100mhz and beyond, then it's not worth the upgrade. Currently I am at
180fsb which gives me 1980 mhz.

I just bought the Barton cpu so I don't want to get rid of it just yet.

Old January 17th 04, 07:23 PM
BigBadger

The success rate of overclocking XP2500+ to XP3200+ (2200MHz) is very
high...In fact with the more recent cpu's I've never heard of a failure. I'm
currently running a locked XP2600+ at 2560MHz.

. ..

Old January 18th 04, 07:32 AM
S.Heenan

Robert wrote:
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Have you been successfull at overclocking a multiplier-locked Barton
2500 from 166 x11 to 200 x 11? Is that to ambititious of me?

I'm thinking that if I can't get this 1833mhz processor up to at least
2100mhz and beyond, then it's not worth the upgrade. Currently I am
at 180fsb which gives me 1980 mhz.

I just bought the Barton cpu so I don't want to get rid of it just
yet.

If your processor is unlocked, you stand a decent chance of 12x180 or
2160MHz which is roughly XP 3200+ speed. It sounds like your CPU is locked,
so ~ 1980MHz may be as good as it gets on your Gigabyte GA-7VAX. From
personal experience with locked and unlocked Barton 2500's, I'd say you have
a 90% chance of 2200MHz on a nForce2 board with standard voltages and
settings. Add 50 or 75mV Vcore and all Barton 2500+ models I've used are
stable. My definition of stable includes 24-48 hours of Prime95 without a
single error.

Old January 18th 04, 11:53 AM
BigBadger

"Nanga Parbat" wrote in message
. ..
BigBadger wrote:

The success rate of overclocking XP2500+ to XP3200+ (2200MHz) is very
high...In fact with the more recent cpu's I've never heard of a failure.

I'm
currently running a locked XP2600+ at 2560MHz.

Couple of weeks ago I bought 2 Bartons 2500+ week 45. One could run
Prime95 for 24 hours at 200x11 but failed after 1 hour at 202x11. The
other failed at 200x11 and only passed the Prime95 test at 199x11.

They were tested in a Lian-Li PC60 (4 case fans) and with
Thermalright SLK-947U / Enermax 92mm @ 2600rpm as heatsink/fan. Both
needed 1.85V (max of my A7N8X dlx) to reach that. With stock Vcore
they maxed out at around 192x11 (failing Prime95 if running faster).

Nanga

What stepping code are they????

Old January 18th 04, 07:01 PM
Robert

Well, being that it is locked, I would have to look toward a new
motherboard... :-(
On the other hand, I am running 2000mhz and would be happy with a nice 2200
mhz at 200mhz bus. Its just a nice round number
and feels neat to have essentially transformed a 2500 into a 3200 with the
flick of a switch...

Then I start thinking, after all the hastle of reinstalling Windows to get
an extra 200mhz, I wonder if its worth it? At best, the 10% clock incease
will be maybe 8% in overall performance increase. I don't know if I would
notice the increase in performance.

Also, I would be royally ****ed if I only got to say 2100mhz..

What really annoys me is why AMD started the same intel crap of locking
their cpu's. It would have beed so much easier just to bump up the
multiplier.

Old January 18th 04, 10:00 PM
QBall

Is that with water, Badge ?
If it's with air - you've either got a big Thermalright, phase-change
cooling or a shedloada luck in getting a chip that'll do that.
What stepping is it and what vcore are you running ?
My 2800+ needs 2.1v just to get to 2536 MHz stable !

"BigBadger" wrote in message
The success rate of overclocking XP2500+ to XP3200+ (2200MHz) is very
high...In fact with the more recent cpu's I've never heard of a failure.

I'm
currently running a locked XP2600+ at 2560MHz.

. ..