optiplex issues

Old November 9th 03, 05:03 AM
Nate Rosenthal

Default optiplex issues

The school that I work recently had some Dell Optiplex systems donated.
They appear to be from arouind 1996 or 1997. When they arrived they all had
Windows 95 on them and I have changed them to 98. When I tried to access
the Internet with one, it said it could not find a connection. I had
plugged the ethernet connection into the port, but upon reboot I got a
message saying that it had detected new hardware PCI Ethernet Controller,
but would look for the drivers. It could find any and I don't have the
original software. I went to the Dell website and found a couple of
potential drivers, but had no luck when I tried to install them. I then
opned the machine with the intent of putting another netcard in, but there
appears to be bar of some sort blocking the heads of the screws near the
slots. It looks like the only way screws can be removed is by some very
thin wrench. I want to be able to get in there, because we have a few other
computers that need sound cards. When I shut the computers off and
rebooted, I got a message saying that this computer has been opened.
Anybody out there that can help me with all of this.

--
Nate Rosenthal

Old November 9th 03, 06:11 AM
Paul Riemerman

The dell Web site has detailed answers to your questions by allowing you to
download a manual for your Optiplex model, but in short, your cards are all
in a cage that pops out of the computer allowing you to easily insert or
remove cards, then replace the cage, and by entering the bios, you can
disable the computer has been opened message.

Paul Riemerman

Old November 9th 03, 07:13 PM
goop

Nate,

is the network connection integrated? it's more than likely a 3com 905
series chipset. you can find drivers through the dell web site. as for the
slot cage, paul forgot to mention that there should be a plastic release
lever that should allow you to remove that slot cage. as for the message
you're getting on boot, go into the bios, it's the option labeled "chasis
intrusion alert"

Old November 11th 03, 07:30 AM
Robert

What model Optiplex?
You can get drivers by entering the service tag, OS version & what you need
in the download site.
http://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/filelib/
The complete manual is on the Dell web site.
I use http://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/home.asp
If you are in the USA use http://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/home.asp

Old November 12th 03, 04:48 AM
Christopher Muto

with windows 98se you can manually select the nic from the built in list...
choose novel/anthem ne2000. i don't think these is a network card made that
is not ne2000 compatible... also, if you installed win98se yourseld i
suggest that you copy the contents of the win98 folder form the cd to
c:\windows\options\cabs so that you have a local copy for use whenever you
change your network configuration or when you add new hardware.

Old November 13th 03, 10:45 AM
S.Lewis

"Nate Rosenthal" wrote in message
yeah but would I have a service tag if I don't have any paperwork

snip

Service tag will likely be visible by entering BIOS on the first/front page.
It is on the newer Dell systems.