screen flashes to black every once in a while

Old October 7th 04, 05:31 PM
Jason Gallas

Default screen flashes to black every once in a while

I have upgraded my video card from a PNY GeForce FX 5500 to a PNY
GeForce FX 5900. I just took the old card out, put the new one in and
booted up. I then re-installed the 61.77 drivers from Nvidia's
website.

Now my system flashes to black every now and then. I did a google
search and a website suggested completely uninstalling the old driver
in safe mode and then rebooting and installing cleanly. They also
mentioned a utility to uninstall.

Is there such a thing for Nvidia cards, and if not what is the best
procedure for this? Also, could these problems with the screen
flashing black be caused by something else?

Old October 7th 04, 06:40 PM
CapFusion

"Jason Gallas" wrote in message
I have upgraded my video card from a PNY GeForce FX 5500 to a PNY
GeForce FX 5900. I just took the old card out, put the new one in and
booted up. I then re-installed the 61.77 drivers from Nvidia's
website.

Now my system flashes to black every now and then. I did a google
search and a website suggested completely uninstalling the old driver
in safe mode and then rebooting and installing cleanly. They also
mentioned a utility to uninstall.

Is there such a thing for Nvidia cards, and if not what is the best
procedure for this? Also, could these problems with the screen
flashing black be caused by something else?

Try unisntall and or use DriverCleaner -
http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

When you uninstall from Add/Remove Program, make sure you remove everything
when prompt.

I do not understand your last paragraph.
****
Is there such a thing for Nvidia cards, and if not what is the best
procedure for this? Also, could these problems with the screen
flashing black be caused by something else?
****
Can you clarify / rephrase this?
Do you mean, if this problem would happen to nvidia type of cards?

CapFusion,...

Old October 7th 04, 08:29 PM
Jason Gallas

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:40:51 -0700, "CapFusion"
wrote:

:
.. .
:****
: Is there such a thing for Nvidia cards, and if not what is the best
: procedure for this? Also, could these problems with the screen
: flashing black be caused by something else?

What I meant was, is there an uninstall utility specifically for
Nvidia cards. I suppose it dosen't matter because there is a driver
cleaner available that will work on Nvidia and other cards.

I was wondering if the screen flashing could be a result of something
else I missed in the configuration of my machine.

Old October 7th 04, 08:55 PM
CapFusion

wrote:

:
[...]

Again, did you try uninstall or use DriverCleaner and see if this problem
remain?
To verify if it a hardware issue, you can try putting onto another PC and
see if have the same problem.

CapFusion,...

Old October 7th 04, 09:10 PM
Jason Gallas

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:55:12 -0700, "CapFusion"
wrote:

:
:"Jason Gallas" wrote in message
.. .
: On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:40:51 -0700, "CapFusion"
: wrote:
:
: :
: .. .
: :****
[...]

Not yet, at work now...will try this evening

Old October 9th 04, 03:45 AM
Jason Gallas

wrote:

:
[...]

I tried all that and the problem is still occuring. It happens a lot
when I resize windows from minimized to max size.

Old October 9th 04, 03:46 AM
Jason Gallas

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:19:02 GMT, "DaveW" wrote:

An underpowered/unstable power supply unit would also cause that.

Well, it's a pretty new antec power supply. It's 350W and I don't
have much running on my system now so I don't think that could be it.

Old October 9th 04, 04:16 AM
Kill Bill

"Jason Gallas" wrote in message
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:19:02 GMT, "DaveW" wrote:

An underpowered/unstable power supply unit would also cause that.

Well, it's a pretty new antec power supply. It's 350W and I don't
have much running on my system now so I don't think that could be it.

I'm getting the same thing, randoms screen resets, usually when I'm deleting
a large file. It also happens with any interaction with the Nvidia control
panel. Since it all started with the 6800 I put in, thought maybe it was
power too. It isn't. I've got an Antec 480W PS.

I'm convinced it's a driver issue, and something they need to get off their
asses and fix because it's damn irritating and probably not great for the
monitor either.

Old October 9th 04, 07:35 PM
Jason Gallas

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 03:16:42 GMT, "Kill Bill" wrote:

"Jason Gallas" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:19:02 GMT, "DaveW" wrote:

An underpowered/unstable power supply unit would also cause that.

Well, it's a pretty new antec power supply. It's 350W and I don't
have much running on my system now so I don't think that could be it.

I'm getting the same thing, randoms screen resets, usually when I'm deleting
a large file. It also happens with any interaction with the Nvidia control
panel. Since it all started with the 6800 I put in, thought maybe it was
power too. It isn't. I've got an Antec 480W PS.

I'm convinced it's a driver issue, and something they need to get off their
asses and fix because it's damn irritating and probably not great for the
monitor either.

yeah, I'm using 61.77...should I roll back to an earlier version
maybe?