Are there any indications that prices for older cards WILL drop a little?

Old August 20th 04, 11:01 AM
revom

Default Are there any indications that prices for older cards WILL drop a little?

I have been monitoring a few resellers for months and those 5900's and 5950
don't drop a cent.
They are still very expensive where I live... 375 euro (approx. 460 US$) is
considered a 'normal' price for a 5950 ultra.

And where are the 5900 normals? Nowadays I can only find 5900XT's.

I wanna play doom3 so I guess a 5900xt (= 5900 light) won't give me enough
satisfaction :-)

Anyone know a Dutch reseller with something between 'low-budget' and 'for
the extreme rich' ?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts..
revom

Old August 20th 04, 12:35 PM
Quietman

Waiting for the prices to drop more here in the UK too... 5950 Ultra would
be nice, but its still too expensive for me.

. ..

Old August 20th 04, 01:15 PM
sTuFf

"Quietman" quietman1968 at hotmail dot com wrote in message
Waiting for the prices to drop more here in the UK too... 5950 Ultra would
be nice, but its still too expensive for me.

The prices won't drop through the floor because where would that leave all
the new cards if everyone rushed to buy the much cheaper but still powerful
cards?

They'd be outbidding themselves.

Old August 20th 04, 01:41 PM
Jelle

"sTuFf" schreef in bericht
"Quietman" quietman1968 at hotmail dot com wrote in message
Waiting for the prices to drop more here in the UK too... 5950 Ultra

would
be nice, but its still too expensive for me.

The prices won't drop through the floor because where would that leave all
the new cards if everyone rushed to buy the much cheaper but still

powerful
cards?

They'd be outbidding themselves.

I doubt that one, I spoke to my local dealer, and he had one 5950 and he
cannot sell it even to the dogs, nobody wants them since for a tiny bit more
one can choose a x800pro or 6800GT. I expect the 59x0's to leave the market
vey soon.

Old August 20th 04, 02:12 PM
revom

"Jelle" schreef in bericht

"sTuFf" schreef in bericht
"Quietman" quietman1968 at hotmail dot com wrote in message
Waiting for the prices to drop more here in the UK too... 5950 Ultra

would
be nice, but its still too expensive for me.

The prices won't drop through the floor because where would that leave

all
the new cards if everyone rushed to buy the much cheaper but still

powerful
cards?

They'd be outbidding themselves.

I doubt that one, I spoke to my local dealer, and he had one 5950 and he
cannot sell it even to the dogs, nobody wants them since for a tiny bit

more
one can choose a x800pro or 6800GT. I expect the 59x0's to leave the

market
vey soon.

Maybe that's good.
Right now there are so many choices. If you also count the upcoming 6600,
you have so many series:
5200, 5500, 5700, 5900, 5950 , 6600, 6800, also still the mx4000, several of
them with multiple extension like LE, XT, GT, Ultra.
No wonder everyone is asking questions in this group like 'what's best',
'what do I need', ... hell, I want to go back in time so that I would just
have to choose between light, normal or pro and that was it.

Regards,
revom

Old August 20th 04, 03:50 PM
Mac Cool

"revom" said:

I wanna play doom3 so I guess a 5900xt (= 5900 light) won't give me
enough satisfaction :-)

There is virtually no performance difference between a 5900 & XT.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...3-tests_5.html

--
Mac Cool
Old August 24th 04, 01:46 PM
revom

Wow, I didn't expect that. Also a good comparison, at least all major cards
are displayed.
Thanks for the pointer
revom

"Mac Cool" schreef in bericht
"revom" said:

I wanna play doom3 so I guess a 5900xt (= 5900 light) won't give me
enough satisfaction :-)

There is virtually no performance difference between a 5900 & XT.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...3-tests_5.html

--
Mac Cool

Microtek scanner made my PC unusable. Robert Clark Scanners 5 June 22nd 04 10:46 PM
wifi max Asus Motherboards 1 February 25th 04 09:36 PM
AMD Barton 2500 prices [email protected] General 1 January 2nd 04 01:15 PM
AMD slashes prices upto 40% Jerry McBride Overclocking AMD Processors 1 December 9th 03 04:46 AM
help folder question ASUS A7n8X deluxe Sbarel Asus Motherboards 0 October 26th 03 07:40 PM