Built puter .. now HDD won't boot.. BIOS Settings?

Old October 31st 03, 03:45 AM
Nicki

Default Built puter .. now HDD won't boot.. BIOS Settings?

Ok ...

I had a puter which either my motherboard or my cpu died on me. So I bought
an AthlonXP2400+, Asus A7N8X, and a stick of Kingston RAM to go along with
the Western Digital drive that was already in there.

I had to know if it was the chip or the board that died, so I installed the
Athlon T-bird 1.33 chip in the board and turned it on. It was posting, but
it said "Warning: CPU have been changed!" It wasn't even posting before,
so I was happy to even see see it do this. So then I put the new chip in.
I booted up and it said the same thing. So I went into BIOS and set
everything back to defaults and that stopped. So now, when it posts, it
detects the old 1.33 processor speed that I had tested in there (1700+? I
think). Then after it posts, I get a stop error and it says A problem has
been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage. It tells me
to check for virii and remove newly installed hdds or hdd contollers and to
run checkdisk. It does this when I boot into safe mode also. So in case, I
put it on my other computer and ran tests and it was fine. I had an extra
hdd that I tried in the new computer and it immediately gives me an error
"NTLDR is missing" and tells me to his control +alt +delete to reboot. Im
assuming I have all kinds of settings messed up in the BIOS or something.
Can anyone shed any light on what is happening to me?
Thanks
Nicki

Old October 31st 03, 04:27 AM
Kent_Diego

You need to have new chipset drivers in WinXP's HAL. Do the second R to
repair Windows installation. See:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html#4

I always use SIS chipset motherboards and have been able to upgrade/replace
motherboards without trouble so far.

-Kent

Old November 1st 03, 12:48 AM
Shep©

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 03:45:28 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Nicki"
wrote :

[...]

Pull power cord and then clear the CMOS and try again.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old November 17th 03, 02:40 AM
Aardvark J. Bandersnatch

"Kent_Diego" wrote in message
You need to have new chipset drivers in WinXP's HAL. Do the second R to
repair Windows installation. See:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html#4

I always use SIS chipset motherboards and have been able to

upgrade/replace
motherboards without trouble so far.

Thanks, Kent! I'm going to need that information in about a week, and it's
stuff I didn't know.
Micheal.