This is driving me nuts...

Old November 27th 05, 01:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default This is driving me nuts...

I have an eMachines T-6000.

I purchased some tunes from Wal-Marts download site. The $.88 per tune type.
When I try to record them to CD-R or CD-RW, it tells me that there is no CD
in the drive.

WTF is this about?

Yes, they are brand new, fresh CD's.

TIA

Ed Cregger

Old November 27th 05, 02:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Ed Cregger" wrote in message
I have an eMachines T-6000.

I purchased some tunes from Wal-Marts download site. The $.88 per tune
type. When I try to record them to CD-R or CD-RW, it tells me that there
is no CD in the drive.

WTF is this about?

Yes, they are brand new, fresh CD's.

TIA

Ed Cregger

I finally got it to try to record, but then it says there is something wrong
with the CD. It does this perhaps 50% of the time, even when I can manage to
record to the same CD later on, but I never know when.

What a PITA. CD's are one media that I will be happy to see replaced. Any
thoughts?

Ed Cregger

Old November 27th 05, 02:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

I had the same exact problem. If you go to the manufacturers website of
the burner your'e using, and update your firmware, your problem might
be solved.

Old November 27th 05, 02:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"dantheman" wrote in message
oups.com...
I had the same exact problem. If you go to the manufacturers website of
the burner your'e using, and update your firmware, your problem might
be solved.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Ed Cregger

Old November 27th 05, 06:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Ed Cregger" wrote in message
I have an eMachines T-6000.

I purchased some tunes from Wal-Marts download site. The $.88 per tune

type.

nothing to do with the burner not burning

When I try to record them to CD-R or CD-RW, it tells me that there is no

CD
in the drive.

1 your media is of a type not supported by your burner / firmware.
2 your burner is new / old ? The more you use them the quicker they go /
get dirty. Try gently blowing out the drive.(sometimes however this can make
matters worse) If in fact it does then it could be a dirt problem. You could
open it and clean it. I read that at some point in production of media, that
the newer stock will have trouble in older burners.

Old November 27th 05, 10:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"JAD" wrote in message

"Ed Cregger" wrote in message
I have an eMachines T-6000.

I purchased some tunes from Wal-Marts download site. The $.88 per tune

type.

nothing to do with the burner not burning

When I try to record them to CD-R or CD-RW, it tells me that there is no

CD
in the drive.

1 your media is of a type not supported by your burner / firmware.
2 your burner is new / old ? The more you use them the quicker they go /
get dirty. Try gently blowing out the drive.(sometimes however this can
make
matters worse) If in fact it does then it could be a dirt problem. You
could
open it and clean it. I read that at some point in production of media,
that
the newer stock will have trouble in older burners.

How about one of those CD cleaners - the ones that are little brushes stuck
on a CD?

Old November 28th 05, 03:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"fj" wrote in message

/
get dirty. Try gently blowing out the drive.(sometimes however this can
make
matters worse) If in fact it does then it could be a dirt problem. You
could
open it and clean it. I read that at some point in production of media,
that
the newer stock will have trouble in older burners.

How about one of those CD cleaners - the ones that are little brushes

stuck
on a CD?

utter nonsence really, the brush is basically flattened after a few seconds
of spinning

Old November 28th 05, 09:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"JAD" wrote

"Ed Cregger" wrote in message
I have an eMachines T-6000.

I purchased some tunes from Wal-Marts download site. The $.88 per tune

type.

nothing to do with the burner not burning

In view of Sony's trick of installing software on computers, unbeknownst by
the owner's, can anyone guarantee that the music we download from any vender
does not contain nefarious programs, programs intended to restrict the use
of intellectual property purchased from said vender?

If I knew the answer, I wouldn't be asking the question. It appears to be
being caused by firmware/software problems somewhere. Occasionally, the
drive will surprise you and work as it is supposed to work.

When I try to record them to CD-R or CD-RW, it tells me that there is no
CD in the drive.

1 your media is of a type not supported by your burner / firmware.

How so? It is a CD-RW drive. Both CD-R and CD-RW disks are randomly rejected
for prolonged periods of time, then, without explanation, the same disk will
be written to without hesitation.

2 your burner is new / old ? The more you use them the quicker they go /
get dirty. Try gently blowing out the drive.(sometimes however this can
make
matters worse) If in fact it does then it could be a dirt problem. You
could
open it and clean it. I read that at some point in production of media,
that
the newer stock will have trouble in older burners.

When you buy a refurb, it is impossible to tell how much the burner has been
used, so you may have a valid point here. I do clean the drives on my
computers, ridding them of dust, etc.

Later on, the same CD that was rejected previously will be burned to with no
problem. This isn't the first time that it has happened.

Thanks for your reply.

Ed Cregger

Old November 28th 05, 10:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Ed Cregger wrote:
"JAD" wrote

"Ed Cregger" wrote in message

I have an eMachines T-6000.

I purchased some tunes from Wal-Marts download site. The $.88 per tune

type.

nothing to do with the burner not burning

In view of Sony's trick of installing software on computers, unbeknownst by
the owner's, can anyone guarantee that the music we download from any vender
does not contain nefarious programs, programs intended to restrict the use
of intellectual property purchased from said vender?

Yes, don't 'install' the mp3s, not that there's any way to do so in the
first place.

If I knew the answer, I wouldn't be asking the question. It appears to be
being caused by firmware/software problems somewhere. Occasionally, the
drive will surprise you and work as it is supposed to work.

When I try to record them to CD-R or CD-RW, it tells me that there is no
CD in the drive.

Proof positive it isn't 'trick sony software'. It wouldn't tell you there's
no CD in the drive as there's no money in that; it would tell you to go buy
something, like a license for the mp3 you're trying to burn.

1 your media is of a type not supported by your burner / firmware.

How so?

Because not all CD-R(W)s are created equal.

It is a CD-RW drive. Both CD-R and CD-RW disks are randomly rejected
for prolonged periods of time, then, without explanation, the same disk will
be written to without hesitation.

At night or day? Don't laugh, marginal CDs will sometimes work with, or not
work with, additional light in the room.

I'm not saying that's your problem but there's no reason to act as if
intermittent problems are unheard of.

Old November 28th 05, 01:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

1 your media is of a type not supported by your burner / firmware.

How so?

Because not all CD-R(W)s are created equal.

It is a CD-RW drive. Both CD-R and CD-RW disks are randomly rejected for
prolonged periods of time, then, without explanation, the same disk will
be written to without hesitation.

At night or day? Don't laugh, marginal CDs will sometimes work with, or
not work with, additional light in the room.

Never heard that before.....hehe....... But I can see that it could happen.

I'm not saying that's your problem but there's no reason to act as if
intermittent problems are unheard of.

I have found that some CD/DVD writers can be very picky with the
type/brand of media used. This is also true of many players. I find that
Memorex and Verbatim work better for me, and for music I want to play on my
Kenwood CD/MP3 player in my truck I must use the Memorex music-type CDR
media. It is the same price as most others, and I don't know what the
difference is, if any, but most budget CDRs will not eject from it and I
have to use some tweasers to get the CD out. There might be a difference in
thickness or just the texture of the surface might be different........ I
dunno. I always thought that "music" CDs were just a marketing hype and
there was no difference, but have since found that at least with Memorex,
there is SOMETHING that is different. I have tested this over and over with
that particular player with the same results. My CD/DVD writer is a Memorex
branded Liteon.

Ed