ATi seem to have quietly slashed the warranty period on their video cards.......... !!

Old September 29th 05, 03:56 PM
John Lewis

Default ATi seem to have quietly slashed the warranty period on their video cards.......... !!

Warranty cut to 1-year since 31 August 2005. While nVidia is extending

theirs...............

See:-

http://neowin.net/comments.php?id=30728&category=main

At least on the ATi-labeled ones. I suspect that many of the 3rd party
manufacturers will shortly follow suit. Read the small print on the
vendor website before any purchase. Buyer Beware !

Just in time for the R5xx (X1xxx) series. Better not overclock
them.... !!!

ATi sure like to hammer nails into their own coffin..................

Probably likely to apply to Crossfire motherboards as well..........

John Lewis
Old September 29th 05, 10:56 PM
Dr. Richard Cranium

well to keep up with the gaming community you need to be changing/upgrading
your ATI video card every 6 months anyway. So maybe ATI is getting more
world realistic, and Nvidea knows that it takes a couple of years to figure
out which drivers to load for which piece of software or game you want to
play, so you Nvideo people tend to keep your video cards longer - ROI ?

hope this helps,

** No Fate **

cheers,
dracman
Tomb Raider: Shotgun City
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/childrenspajamas.htm

** Far Cry with Valerie as the Adventuress **
http://www.smokeypoint.org/farCry.htm

http://www.smokeypoint.org/traod/traod.html
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraide...r1pictures.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraide...1midaspics.htm

http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm

** Win2k and winXP hi-res with TR1
http://www.smokeypoint.com/glidos.htm

** Tomb Raider 1 add on UB levels
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb2.htm#Tova

-=-=-

** Final Fantasy Online mega ingame Pictures ! **
** for those whom wonder about "whats it like anyway huh"

http://www.smokeypoint.com/ffxionline/traod.html
http://www.smokeypoint.org/ffxionlin...ibb/Jueno.html

-=-=-

** GTA III vice City Character MOD
http://www.smokeypoint.com/uzi.htm#gta3

** Far Cry with Valerie as the Adventuress **
http://www.smokeypoint.org/farCry.htm

** Singles: Flirt UP Your Life AI and character MOD
http://www.smokeypoint.com/childrenspajamas.htm#singles

** World of Warcraft Beta adventuring North to Ironforge. Dwarf Airport
Discovered
http://www.smokeypoint.org/wow/worldofwarcraft.html

===============================
** No Pili'kaia **

-=-

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old September 29th 05, 11:55 PM
John Lewis

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:56:01 -0700, "Dr. Richard Cranium"
wrote:

well to keep up with the gaming community you need to be changing/upgrading
your ATI video card every 6 months anyway.

Really... a new X1800 every six months ?

So maybe ATI is getting more
world realistic, and Nvidea knows that it takes a couple of years to figure
out which drivers to load for which piece of software or game you want to
play, so you Nvideo people tend to keep your video cards longer - ROI ?

Hey, Doc...you have had your head in the ground for too long....you
need to come up for air.

John Lewis
Old September 30th 05, 12:00 AM
Peter

wrote:

well to keep up with the gaming community you need to be changing/upgrading
your ATI video card every 6 months anyway.

Really... a new X1800 every six months ?

So maybe ATI is getting more
world realistic, and Nvidea knows that it takes a couple of years to figure
out which drivers to load for which piece of software or game you want to
play, so you Nvideo people tend to keep your video cards longer - ROI ?

Hey, Doc...you have had your head in the ground for too long....you
need to come up for air.

I think ATI finally figured out if braindead consumers are willing to
pay $3,000 for an LCD monitor and $10,000 for an LCD TV --
both with one-year warranties -- then a warranty must not be all
that important to most people. Why should they offer three years
if they don't have to? They'll save a fortune.

Old September 30th 05, 05:12 AM
First of One

"John Lewis" wrote in message
Warranty cut to 1-year since 31 August 2005. While nVidia is extending
theirs...............

nVidia doesn't make cards, in case you haven't noticed.

At least on the ATi-labeled ones. I suspect that many of the 3rd party
manufacturers will shortly follow suit. Read the small print on the
vendor website before any purchase. Buyer Beware !

Visiontek always offered a lifetime warranty on every card it made; this
policy even predates the company's switch to ATi-powered cards. Meanwhile,
Sapphire had 1-year warranties since day one, yet nobody complained. Larger
vendors like Asus and MSI, who make both nVidia and ATi cards, are obviouly
gonna keep the warranty the same across their product line.

Just in time for the R5xx (X1xxx) series. Better not overclock
them.... !!!

Keep in mind overclocking instantly voids your warranty, as does removing
the factory heat sink. Not to mention the selected few that solder on
voltage mods. Yet most enthusiasts don't think twice about it.

Does anyone really feel insecure about the 30-day warranty on OEM CPUs?

Old September 30th 05, 05:46 AM
john graesser

"Peter" wrote in message
ink.net...

?

Hey, Doc...you have had your head in the ground for too long....you
need to come up for air.

I think ATI finally figured out if braindead consumers are willing to
pay $3,000 for an LCD monitor and $10,000 for an LCD TV --
both with one-year warranties -- then a warranty must not be all
that important to most people. Why should they offer three years
if they don't have to? They'll save a fortune.

I thought it was more a matter of the bleeding edge buyers buying a new card
every 6 months who didn't bother with warrenties anyway.

I've had my 9200 AIW for nearly a year and it has worked fine capping up to
5 hours of tv per day, a total of about 25 hours a week. That is in addition
to all the time spent on that computer playing games, surfing the web etc,
I've gotten my monies worth out of the card already and if I had to replace
it tomorrow it would be with another ATI AIW card. Until I see an HDTV
capture card that I like, I"ll stick with AIW cards. Capping with the card
and saving to dvds is so much more cost effective compared to a vhs vcr that
I haven't taped a show since I got the 9200 AIW.

Old September 30th 05, 06:53 AM
Peter

"john graesser" wrote in message ...

"Peter" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Well, as often as I criticize ATI for their drivers, they deserve
credit where it's due. Their hardware is great and pretty much
always has been. I opted for a 9700 Pro (non-AIW) and
Hauppauge PVR150 combo. Absolutely love the 150's
video quality -- direct to mpeg1 or 2 via hardware encoder.

Old September 30th 05, 07:16 AM
Kevin

"John Lewis" wrote in message
Warranty cut to 1-year since 31 August 2005. While nVidia is extending

theirs...............

Filed under Things Nobody Really Cares About. Is your NVIDIA fandom so
highly threatened by ATI that you feel it is necessary to turn this molehill
into a mountain?

Old September 30th 05, 07:20 AM
Peter

"Kevin" wrote in message t...

"John Lewis" wrote in message
Warranty cut to 1-year since 31 August 2005. While nVidia is extending

theirs...............

Filed under Things Nobody Really Cares About. Is your NVIDIA fandom so
highly threatened by ATI that you feel it is necessary to turn this molehill
into a mountain?

It was certainly worth mentioning.

Old September 30th 05, 04:01 PM
Benjamin Gawert

John Lewis schrieb:

Warranty cut to 1-year since 31 August 2005. While nVidia is extending

There is no warranty Nvidia is extending. Unlike ATI Nvidia doesn't make
videocards. Thats part of the boardmakers, and warranty issues are also
their part..

Benjamin