Ready to go nuts

Old August 1st 05, 07:35 AM
Vince

Default Ready to go nuts

My first time here, I'm Vince from Coney Island Brooklyn NY.

Two of the kids on the block found and asked me to fix an old XPS H266

it has no op system, I've tried every which way, using the WIN98 disk,
98USB, MADBOOT, in the case of 98USB it starts to copy the files and
then tells me about a bad file and stops installing.

In total I've tried this on five different HDs. Mind you I've done this
many times before with no problems, BUT this is my first time on a DELL.

Any help please they're poor kids and they would love to have their own
system
Old August 1st 05, 08:34 AM
Hank Arnold

Give us some specifics as to what the problem is and what the symptoms you
are experiencing are....

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

Old August 1st 05, 07:27 PM
Kevin Childers

Bad file, where? Could it be a bad file coming from the install CD or
possibly a CD ROM hardware issue?

Try a different install CD if possible or a different CD ROM if the
issue remains.

Judging from your reported efforts and results, I'd suspect some sort
of hardware issue.

KC

Old August 1st 05, 07:56 PM
Vince

"Vince" wrote in message

My first time here, I'm Vince from Coney Island Brooklyn NY.

Two of the kids on the block found and asked me to fix an old XPS H266

it has no op system, I've tried every which way, using the WIN98 disk,
98USB, MADBOOT, in the case of 98USB it starts to copy the files and

then

tells me about a bad file and stops installing.

In total I've tried this on five different HDs. Mind you I've done this
many times before with no problems, BUT this is my first time on a DELL.

Any help please they're poor kids and they would love to have their own
system

Its saids one of the *.CAB files, NOW I'm using either the upgrade
or full system CDs, "98UBD" only lets me use the upgrade CD, on the FULL
system CD it saids the "setup file" is missing, both CDs can't be bad.
Besides I used the FULL System CD on an old GATEWAY last week with no
problems. Lastly I used more than one DC drive as a control factor.
Old August 1st 05, 10:40 PM
S.Lewis

"Vince" wrote in message

[...]

Possible file corruption due to (take your pick):

-bad CD drive or cable
-bad HDD or cable
-bad RAM
-bad CPU
-or bad system board.

(Given what you've said about using the same CD successfully on a
Gateway....)

Stew

Old August 1st 05, 11:47 PM
Christopher Muto

on the back of the system are 4 leds labeled 'abcd'. these indicate an
error code if there is a problem with the system. if they are not all green
then report back what colors they are and perhaps we can help you with the
meaning of the code. also, support.dell.com has full documentation and
drivers for your system.

Old August 2nd 05, 02:51 AM
Vince

S.Lewis wrote:

[...]

You forgot to rule out bad CD unit as I used more than one.
Old August 2nd 05, 02:54 AM
Vince

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

"Vince" wrote in message

[...]

Friend this is an older 266 MHZ system there are no such leds.
I will check out Dell's web page thanks much as I think they no longer
support such an old unit
Old August 2nd 05, 03:27 AM
S.Lewis

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

"Vince" wrote in message

[...]

Actually, the do: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dcor/

The XPS R systems were the last with NO diag leds on back, and the XPS T's
the first......

Stew

Old August 2nd 05, 04:51 AM
Vince

S.Lewis wrote:
"Vince" wrote in message

Christopher Muto wrote:

on the back of the system are 4 leds labeled 'abcd'. these indicate an
error code if there is a problem with the system. if they are not all
green then report back what colors they are and perhaps we can help you
with the meaning of the code. also, support.dell.com has full
documentation and drivers for your system.

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .

"Vince" wrote in message

[...]

I'll check it out thanks.