Anybody do a clean install of Windows 10 yet?

Old August 12th 15, 03:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

Default Anybody do a clean install of Windows 10 yet?

Apparently it's 'tough' to do.

I did three machines with a non-clean install, and all went well. The only problem is that my ISP modem-router apparently is somehow set to detect machines directly connected to it, even if you use another router downstream of the ISP modem-router, and I had to wait 12 hours before the 'new' Windows 10 PC was 'recognized' and allowed to connect to the ISP (and I tried all the usual tricks, including of course power cycling but also 'resetting the TCP/IP stack' via Command Prompt).

What convinced me of doing a non-clean install is that I had Windows 8.1 on these machines for just a short time, and they did not have 'bad habits' from years of use on an OS, so they were not that 'dirty' to justify a clean install.

RL
Old August 12th 15, 02:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
PAS

I upgraded the desktop in my home from 8.1 to 10. After the upgrade, I
noticed that apps were opening very slowly, such as taking three
minutes. It seems that my video card, which has Windows 10 drivers, is
not DirectX 12 compatible so I suspect that is the issue. I decided to
try a clean install of 10 to see if the problem may get resolved. It
didn't but the clean install was simple, no issues. Since I had
upgraded this system before, the system will be recognized by MS if a
clean install was done which I did. During the install process, you can
elect to skip having to enter a product ID which is what I did.

Old August 12th 15, 03:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

PAS wrote:
I upgraded the desktop in my home from 8.1 to 10. After the upgrade, I
noticed that apps were opening very slowly, such as taking three
minutes. It seems that my video card, which has Windows 10 drivers, is
not DirectX 12 compatible so I suspect that is the issue. I decided to
try a clean install of 10 to see if the problem may get resolved. It
didn't but the clean install was simple, no issues. Since I had
upgraded this system before, the system will be recognized by MS if a
clean install was done which I did. During the install process, you can
elect to skip having to enter a product ID which is what I did.

Did the DXDIAG program offer any advice ?

That used to come with every installation of DirectX.

Paul
Old August 12th 15, 05:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 09:30:04 -0400, "PAS" wrote:

| I upgraded the desktop in my home from 8.1 to 10. After the upgrade, I
| noticed that apps were opening very slowly, such as taking three
| minutes. It seems that my video card, which has Windows 10 drivers, is
| not DirectX 12 compatible so I suspect that is the issue. I decided to
| try a clean install of 10 to see if the problem may get resolved. It
| didn't but the clean install was simple, no issues. Since I had
| upgraded this system before, the system will be recognized by MS if a
| clean install was done which I did. During the install process, you can
| elect to skip having to enter a product ID which is what I did.

Just curious. Did you do a mostly clean install or a completely clean one (the
difference being installing over an existing Windows installation, but choosing to
keep nothing, or installing on a clean partition)? Even if you tell the new Windows
to keep nothing when it installs, it will still keep some things such as folders and
their contents that were manually added to C-drive and even some registry settings.

I've had problems with all 3 of my Windows 10 installations, the culprit being File
Explorer (explorer.exe). It starts crashing when it opens either immediately or soon
after the install is complete. That was true even with a "mostly" clean install.
Event Viewer indicates the faulting module is user32.dll. Everything seems OK now in
2 of the systems, but I still haven't been able to get 10 working properly on my main
box that admittedly has some complicated setups. It all works flawlessly with 8.1
Pro, though.

10 is the first version of Windows I've ever had a problem so relentless with, going
all the way back to 3.0.

Larc
Old August 12th 15, 07:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
PAS

wrote:

| I upgraded the desktop in my home from 8.1 to 10. After the
upgrade, I
| noticed that apps were opening very slowly, such as taking three
| minutes. It seems that my video card, which has Windows 10 drivers,
is
| not DirectX 12 compatible so I suspect that is the issue. I decided
| try a clean install of 10 to see if the problem may get resolved.
It
| didn't but the clean install was simple, no issues. Since I had
| upgraded this system before, the system will be recognized by MS if
| clean install was done which I did. During the install process, you
can
| elect to skip having to enter a product ID which is what I did.

Just curious. Did you do a mostly clean install or a completely clean
one (the
difference being installing over an existing Windows installation, but
choosing to
keep nothing, or installing on a clean partition)? Even if you tell
the new Windows
to keep nothing when it installs, it will still keep some things such
as folders and
their contents that were manually added to C-drive and even some
registry settings.

I've had problems with all 3 of my Windows 10 installations, the
culprit being File
Explorer (explorer.exe). It starts crashing when it opens either
immediately or soon
after the install is complete. That was true even with a "mostly"
clean install.
Event Viewer indicates the faulting module is user32.dll. Everything
seems OK now in
2 of the systems, but I still haven't been able to get 10 working
properly on my main
box that admittedly has some complicated setups. It all works
flawlessly with 8.1
Pro, though.

10 is the first version of Windows I've ever had a problem so
relentless with, going
all the way back to 3.0.

Larc, I did a completely clean install. I formatted the hard disk and
then installed Windows 10 on it.

Old August 12th 15, 07:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
PAS

"Paul" wrote in message
PAS wrote:
I upgraded the desktop in my home from 8.1 to 10. After the upgrade,
I noticed that apps were opening very slowly, such as taking three
minutes. It seems that my video card, which has Windows 10 drivers,
is not DirectX 12 compatible so I suspect that is the issue. I
decided to try a clean install of 10 to see if the problem may get
resolved. It didn't but the clean install was simple, no issues.
Since I had upgraded this system before, the system will be
recognized by MS if a clean install was done which I did. During the
install process, you can elect to skip having to enter a product ID
which is what I did.

Did the DXDIAG program offer any advice ?

That used to come with every installation of DirectX.

Paul

I didn't run that Paul, no did I think to. I checked AMDs site and my
card was not listed as supporting it.

Old August 12th 15, 07:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

PAS wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
PAS wrote:
I upgraded the desktop in my home from 8.1 to 10. After the upgrade,
I noticed that apps were opening very slowly, such as taking three
minutes. It seems that my video card, which has Windows 10 drivers,
is not DirectX 12 compatible so I suspect that is the issue. I
decided to try a clean install of 10 to see if the problem may get
resolved. It didn't but the clean install was simple, no issues.
Since I had upgraded this system before, the system will be
recognized by MS if a clean install was done which I did. During the
install process, you can elect to skip having to enter a product ID
which is what I did.

Did the DXDIAG program offer any advice ?

That used to come with every installation of DirectX.

Paul

I didn't run that Paul, no did I think to. I checked AMDs site and my
card was not listed as supporting it.

dxdiag.exe is a Microsoft program on your C: partition.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dxdiag.exe

If your video card has no driver for a new OS,
then it will use the VESA driver (and be offered
a fixed resolution display). DXDIAG should probably
contain evidence that DirectX is not working.

While using an FX5200 under Windows 8

1) No driver from NVidia
2) The OS selected the VESA driver from Microsoft.
3) Resolution stuck at 1024x768 (while
driving my 1440x900 monitor). Fuzzy.
4) Didn't check DXDIAG but would expect
DirectX acceleration to be disabled.

HTH,
Paul
Old August 12th 15, 09:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
PAS

"Paul" wrote in message
PAS wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
PAS wrote:
[...]

Thanks Paul. ATI did issue Windows 10 drivers that apply to a host of
cards, including my Radeon HD 5700 series card but it doesn't seem to
help. I have some photo editing apps that take about three minutes to
open. One in particular, will lock up when I convert a raw file to a
jpg or tiff. Another will work fine. Using Photoshop, the app errored
and then restarted indicating that GPU acceleration has been disabled in
order to get the app to work. Under Windows 8.1, GPU acceleration did
not have to disabled.

Old August 12th 15, 10:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

PAS wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
PAS wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
PAS wrote:
[...]

If you look at the info here, they make reference to the 7000 series.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...%2010%20-%2064

If you download the driver (257,594,528 bytes)...

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/amd-cata...in10-64bit.exe

and look in ???\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\C0187451.inf

"%AMD68B8.2%" = ati2mtag_Evergreen, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68B8
"%AMD68B9.1%" = ati2mtag_Evergreen, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68B9
"%AMD68BA.1%" = ati2mtag_Evergreen, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68BA
"%AMD68BE.1%" = ati2mtag_Evergreen, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68BE&SUBSYS_3000148C
"%AMD68BE.2%" = ati2mtag_Evergreen, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68BE&SUBSYS_39821642
"%AMD68BE.3%" = ati2mtag_Evergreen, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68BE&SUBSYS_3000174B
"%AMD68BE.4%" = ati2mtag_Evergreen, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68BE&SUBSYS_300017AF
"%AMD68BE.5%" = ati2mtag_Evergreen, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68BE
"%AMD68BF.1%" = ati2mtag_Evergreen, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68BF&SUBSYS_3000148C
"%AMD68BF.2%" = ati2mtag_Evergreen, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68BF&SUBSYS_6750174B
"%AMD68BF.3%" = ati2mtag_Evergreen, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68BF&SUBSYS_30001787
"%AMD68BF.4%" = ati2mtag_Evergreen, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68BF

Those might correspond to your HD5700 series card (5750/5770).

There is a DeviceID decoder here, which is where I found a reference
to it.

http://developer.amd.com/resources/h...or-id-1002-li/

What does it mean ? Well, you could manually install
just a portion of that package. And you would attempt
that in cases where the "main" portion of the package
refused to install, but you were happy having just
a Driver package. You can install just a Driver package
without a CCC control panel and associated baggage, but
things get pretty strange if you need to change a
setting :-) But if you're desperate, there are some
desperate things you can try.

Paul
Old August 13th 15, 01:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
PAS

"Paul" wrote in message
PAS wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
PAS wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
PAS wrote:
[...]

Thanks again Paul. I did install this exact driver update immediately
after the clean install of Windows 10. I also did it after upgrading
from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 but neither time did that resolve my
issue. I may be barking up the wrong tree by thinking it's my video
card but I don't think so.

I'm going to try a Radeon R7 206X video card and see how that goes and I
think that will resolve the issues for me. I don't think any other
system component is causing an issue.

Let me say that I greatly appreciate your responses. Your depth of
knowledge is unbelievable and I know that you are a frequent poster here
who lends a hand to so many people in this group.